What's new

MoCA and TiVo

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWadle

Occasional Visitor
My network uses two Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA adapters - one to create the MoCA network and a second on the floor below. Other MoCA devices include a TiVo BOLT, TiVo Roamio and three TiVo Minis (v2). My Internet service is 1Gbs and typically tests at 850-950Mbs via a PC downstream of my modem, router and a network switch.

At present I am getting a max of 180MBs for devices wired to the MoCA adapters (via simple 1Gb network switches). For devices connected by WiFi, bypassing the MoCA, I get up to 500Mbs, limited only by each device's WiFi version.

Why is my MoCA network limited to 180MBs? I know that the ECB6200s are MoCA 2.0 Bonded, so I expect much more throughput. Are the TiVOs slowing down my MoCA network?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Did you mean 180 MBytes/s or 180 Mbits/s ?
How are you measuring bandwidth across the lan ?
Try this experiment - connect the two moca modems with a short piece of coax, connect a pc to the 2nd moca modem, leave the other moca modem connected to the lan. Do you get the same bandwidth as before ?
Have you accessed the diagnostics page in the moca modem to see what the sync rate is between the two moca modems ? And what frequency bands are being used while the modems are operating with the Tivo devices ?

Is the cable plant RG6 or RG59 ?
Are there any splitters in the coax plant ?
What is the labeled frequency range of the splitter ?

Last edited:
Why is my MoCA network limited to 180MBs? I know that the ECB6200s are MoCA 2.0 Bonded, so I expect much more throughput. Are the TiVOs slowing down my MoCA network?
Easy enough to test the theory. Power everything down ... modem, router, network switches, MoCA adapters, TiVo boxes ... and keep everything down for a minute or three, then power each device up one-at-a-time, in the order above, allowing each to fully boot and confirm operation before proceeding to the next ... EXCEPT leave the TiVo boxes all powered down.

Then test your MoCA network's speed with the TiVo boxes remaining powered down.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!