What's new

MOCA on multiple lines

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't do Spectrum, but my best recollection from forum surfing ("best" being entirely relative) is that your co-worker would be renting this all-in-one gateway from Spectrum, but it would be free, though still required, if demoted to only providing the phone service -- assuming you've purchased your own gateway or separate modem & router devices to implement the home network side of the setup.

A few benefits of using your own, distinct modem & router devices:
  • Using your own modem & router would allow for a simpler home network transition if/when they switch to FiOS, since the modem's Ethernet WAN connection to the router would simply be replaced with an Ethernet WAN connection from the FiOS ONT (Optical Network Terminal).

• Choice. More flexibility in setting up a whole home network, especially if considering a wireless mesh setup.

• Cost? The math usually sides with rolling your own ... but using the leased device for a short period while researching and deciding on the best long-term solution for your router (e.g. router with non-integrated access points, a wireless mesh setup, etc.) may make sense, and could be addressed as a different project phase from the MoCA network setup.
Yes he's renting it by paying for a $5 monthly wireless fee...

Reviewing your diagram and posts, it might be worthwhile plotting both the Spectrum and FiOS setups, up front, to determine the best layout for both performance and easing transition between the services (not just *to* FiOS, but back-and-forth, allowing them to negotiate best pricing without having to worry about technical hurdles to switching services).

I think I'm going to with the last image.. the one where the moca coax is going into the input of the splitter.
That looks like the best option for me. But I have a question what is that cap looking device on the 4th output port?
I'm assusming it's some sort of cap inorder to close an used port..?
why doesn’t the last example have a POE filter..?

why doesn’t the last example have a POE filter..?
A MoCA filter is typically installed at the cable signal point-of-entry to keep the home's MoCA signals from escaping out onto the provider's premise ... and possibly over to a neighboring residence; MoCA filters are also sometimes used to protect specific devices sensitive to MoCA signals, by installing a MoCA filter on the device's coax input port. Both uses are effected by the MoCA filter blocking/reflecting signals within what's referred to as the MoCA filter's stop-band frequency range, ideally 1125-1675 MHz, nowadays.

As for the diagram...

1) Would the scheme diagrammed have any MoCA signals present on the coax segment connecting to the modem/gateway?

2) Were a MoCA filter installed on the coax line between the provider and the modem, what would a MoCA filter do to DOCSIS 3.1 signals, if/when the provider begins employing D3.1 frequencies above 1002 MHz?

A MoCA filter is typically installed at the cable signal point-of-entry to keep the home's MoCA signals from escaping out onto the provider's premise ... and possibly over to a neighboring residence; MoCA filters are also sometimes used to protect specific devices sensitive to MoCA signals, by installing a MoCA filter on the device's coax input port. Both uses are effected by the MoCA filter blocking/reflecting signals within what's referred to as the MoCA filter's stop-band frequency range, ideally 1125-1675 MHz, nowadays.

As for the diagram...

1) Would the scheme diagrammed have any MoCA signals present on the coax segment connecting to the modem/gateway?

2) Were a MoCA filter installed on the coax line between the provider and the modem, what would a MoCA filter do to DOCSIS 3.1 signals, if/when the provider begins employing D3.1 frequencies above 1002 MHz?
1. No
2. Stop those frequencies from going thru.

1. No
2. Stop those frequencies from going thru.
1. Right, so no need for a "PoE" MoCA filter on that coax line to prevent their MoCA signals from escaping the home. Their MoCA signals will be over on a whole 'nother coax segment, physically disconnected from the coax line connected to your cable provider.
2. Correct, so unnecessarily installing a "PoE" MoCA filter on that coax line could block DOCSIS 3.1 signals, if/when D3.1 is rolled-out.

And do you have any thoughts on goCOAX vs Actiontec?
I can't offer an educated point-by-point comparison, so lean on the goCoax MoCA 2.5 adapters seemingly offering the same functionality at a lower price. (And *plenty* of people have reported success w/ the goCoax adapters.)

The goCoax WF-803M and Actiontec ECB6250 MoCA adapters are both MoCA 2.5 w/ a single Gigabit Ethernet port; were there a need for a MoCA 2.5 adapter w/ a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port, Actiontec has the edge with the ECB7250 ... since goCoax's 2.5 Gbps unit is yet to hit the market.

Last edited:
Let me know if you would like help cleaning-up a diagram. (I find it can be therapeutic/meditative.)
Sure, if you don't mind. And can you please recommend a moca splitter? I think I'll need an 8 port moca splitter inorder to be on the safe side.. even though for right now we might only use 2 of the ports and have the others closed off

I'm in between two splitters at the moment both by Holland. One is a 2-way splitter (what we need now) and one is an 8 way splitter (Whole house/future proofing). The 2-way splitter has a -3.9db loss and the 8-way splitter has a -11db loss. Will either loss cause me issues? What do you recommend. The only reason why I need the 2-way splitter now is because we only plan on using MoCA for two of the rooms in the house. But maybe in the future they'll need to add more..that's why I was going for the 8-way splitter.

So this is a way to tell - using the current splitter, what does the moca modem diagnotic/link page state the signal power is ?
i think moca modems have about 35-40 dB of power budget, so the answer would depend on the line condition and the number of connections. The manufacturer technical page should give the available power budget.

So this is a way to tell - using the current splitter, what does the moca modem diagnotic/link page state the signal power is ?
i think moca modems have about 35-40 dB of power budget, so the answer would depend on the line condition and the number of connections. The manufacturer technical page should give the available power budget.
I've yet to purchase/put in any MoCA adapters into this network. Would I be able to get you the same diagnostic from the modem? If yes, then I'll remote into a computer on their network and pull the diagnostics tonight.

Attached are pictures from the Spectrum Modem Page

Attachments

• 001.png
    001.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 110
  • 002.png
    002.png
    262.8 KB · Views: 116
  • 003.png
    003.png
    260.2 KB · Views: 116
  • 004.png
    004.png
    252.8 KB · Views: 117

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!