What's new

Modem for TT fibre and RT-AC68U router? help please.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Netbug

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I am a TalkTalk fibre customer (uk) and currently I have a BT Open Reach ECI B-Focus V-2FUb/r Rev. B Modem and have my Asus RT-AC68U router connected to modem.

The BT modem has been playing up just recently, I've never been happy with it anyway, I am after a better more reliable modem that will work with my router and TalkTalk fibre service. Do you have any suggestions on a compatible modem from the products you sell please?

I am confused with all the jargon when looking for a modem as I'm a fibre customer do I have to make sure for example it says VDSL and or vdsl2? am I right in thinking ADSL/adsl2 is for the the old broadband and not compatible with fibre services?

It seems I could buy a router/modem in one and set it to bridge support, would that work? seems buyingjust modems compatible with fibre is becoming difficult unless I'm wrong.

I do have a TalkTalk HG635 which has router/modem all in one as on back it has red colour WAN port and DSL port. Could I use that if it support being in bridge mode thingy?

Any modem recommendations? want to pay not much about £40 max if possible.

Sorry for questions just need to clear my confusion lol.

Thank you,
Mat

anyone please,

thank you

I am on TalkTalk Fibre. I use the supplied Open Reach Modem, I find it does what its supposed to and has never dropped a connection. For the price they cost I don't think you will get anything better. As you say in the UK there isn't a great selection anyway.

Modem available here

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/products/17616-british-telecom-061513/

and also eBay of course.

You can also hack the firmware to open up more features of the modem.

Firmware and instructions can be found here:

http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the reply much appreciated, well that's good I guess, thought there may have been something better but if not will buy another BT Open Reach modem, Don't think my one is the rite version to be hacked but have seen them on eBay, shame really as when I bought my Asus RT-AC68U router I didn't realise they did a Asus DSL-AC68U with built in modem would have suited me better as I'm in a flat with limited space.

Thanks for the help and advice :)

bb4c0466401e0aea57a9ee3bc3210a98.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: