What's new

Modem Recommendations Needed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Paul Short

Occasional Visitor
Hi All

Wondering if any of you knowledgeable guys out there can recommend a good modem for my separates network setup.

My setup consists of a modem (currently a unlocked BT Openreach HG612), which goes to my pfsense box which in turn feeds an Asus RT-AC86U in AP mode.

I want to be able to utilise the max out of my 40/10 fibre profile, but with my current setup I can only get 35mbps download speeds, and my ISP say the max I can achieve is 37mbps. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the HG612 as my connection does feel sluggish, which I'm putting down to a broadcom chipset based modem being used on an ECI cabinet. I have a BT Homehub 5 with LEDE installed, which I have configured as a bridge modem, and when I use that in place of the HG612 my internet feels sharper. The only problem using the Homehub 5 is that line stats info is very limited, and I like to use DSLStats to monitor my line. I can't understand why I can't achieve higher download speeds, I'm a stone throw away from our cabinet, I use wired connection to check speedtests, tweaked various settings in pfsense, and no matter what I do I can't improve it. I'm sure I can get a bit more out of line I just don't know how to. Is this the best I can expect from my line or can more be achieved?

If anyone has any ideas / suggestions of a good modem, or a modem / router combo that can be configured as a bridge modem, that will give me good availability to line stats and speed up my line a bit more, then I'd be grateful to hear them (if it can be improved that is). Just so you know I have also tried a Zyxel VMG3925 and Billion 8800nl in the past and both of them feel sluggish as well.

Many thanks in advance.

Well, you need to check your wiring is good, no bell wire attached, no noise on the line and have the latest MK4 BT master socket.

I use a DrayTek Vigor 130 with my ASUS AC3200, I am on an ECI cabinet 80/20 and see max throughput of 78mbps at 130 meters from cabinet.

I have found that the official BT firmware from DrayTek is problem causing session drops , using the alternative firmware I have a flawless connection for months on end.

Well, you need to check your wiring is good, no bell wire attached, no noise on the line and have the latest MK4 BT master socket.

I use a DrayTek Vigor 130 with my ASUS AC3200, I am on an ECI cabinet 80/20 and see max throughput of 78mbps at 130 meters from cabinet.

I have found that the official BT firmware from DrayTek is problem causing session drops , using the alternative firmware I have a flawless connection for months on end.

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrei

We had a BT Openreach engineer out a few weeks ago, and he said our line was good quality. I have had a new junction box (I think that's what it was called) on my line in the last year as the last was showing signs of corrosion, and I had a 5C BT master socket installed.

I have looked at the Vigor 130 as an option, just wondering what you mean by alternative firmware?

Thanks for the prompt reply Andrei

We had a BT Openreach engineer out a few weeks ago, and he said our line was good quality. I have had a new junction box (I think that's what it was called) on my line in the last year as the last was showing signs of corrosion, and I had a 5C BT master socket installed.

I have looked at the Vigor 130 as an option, just wondering what you mean by alternative firmware?

Here >>https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

that is the firmware download page , DrayTek offer the BT version which "should" be perfect for you as it is designed specifically for BT/OpenReach VDSL/2 lines.

I find that version less stable than the firmware in the folder marked "Alternative" .

Brilliant, thanks for the
Here >>https://www.draytek.co.uk/support/downloads/vigor-130

that is the firmware download page , DrayTek offer the BT version which "should" be perfect for you as it is designed specifically for BT/OpenReach VDSL/2 lines.

I find that version less stable than the firmware in the folder marked "Alternative" .

Brilliant, thanks for the advice.

I'm actually with Plusnet, the BT Openreach HG612 modem I'm using has been unlocked so usable with any ISP, I presume you thought I was with BT as I was using that specific modem. In light of this I take it the alternative Vigor 130 firmware would be more suitable for my line?

I'm definitely going to look out for one I think.

I have had BT based FTTC and am now on Uno's TalkTalk offering. Basically all ISP's will go out over OpenReach kit . I just found that I had daily session drops on the BT firmware and that never happens on the alternative.

You can try both , if you want IPTV etc. you'll probably need the BT version.

I have had BT based FTTC and am now on Uno's TalkTalk offering. Basically all ISP's will go out over OpenReach kit . I just found that I had daily session drops on the BT firmware and that never happens on the alternative.

You can try both , if you want IPTV etc. you'll probably need the BT version.

IPTV isn't top on the list of my priorities, all I'm really after is a modem that will give me the max download and upload speeds from my sync, and keep latency down to the least as possible. I think I'll take the plunge and try out the Vigor 130. Thanks for the advice.