What's new

Modem/router combo recommendation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ingez

New Around Here
I want to replace rented modem/router from Xfinity. My current plan provides up to 600-800 mbps. My activities are limited to web browsing, emails, and occasional movie streaming. No gaming.

1) Which device is recommended that is dependable, easy to install, and reasonably priced ? Would you recommend Netgear, ARRIS or Motorola brand ?

2) Should I go for DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 (considering my relatively moderate needs) ?

Thanks in advance

I used a mb8600 for gig speeds and switched providers last year due to price.

You want something with 3.1 as they're phasing out 3.0 options or gimping the speed to push people to 3.1 equipment.

Split the functions between modem and router though as you have less cash to fork out if one or the other dies. Also, as wifi progresses you can update it without over spending on another combo unit.

Thanks for the reply, Tech Junky.

1) Will MB8600 be an "overkill" for my max 800 mbps plan ?
2) Which router would you recommend if splitting modem and router ?

The mb8600 is fine for your speed tier and leaves room for growth by being able to put 2 ports into lacp for up to 2gbps. There's also the mb8611 that has a single 2.5gbps port that's easier to deal with on the consumer routers side.

For a router though I quit keeping up with them since they generally just suck on the consumer side. I would do a small wired only router for about $60 and hang an AP off it for wifi for about $150. If you have tons of wired devices just add a cheap switch for more ports.

I want to replace rented modem/router from Xfinity. My current plan provides up to 600-800 mbps. My activities are limited to web browsing, emails, and occasional movie streaming. No gaming.

1) Which device is recommended that is dependable, easy to install, and reasonably priced ? Would you recommend Netgear, ARRIS or Motorola brand ?

2) Should I go for DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 (considering my relatively moderate needs) ?

Thanks in advance

I'd recommend downgrading to a slower plan to save some money. What you're doing could be done on 50 megs and still have room to grow.

Arris bought Motorola (their cable modems anyway) so as long as it is a surfboard (model starts with SB) those have been the best in my experience. The other Arris ones aren't very good, most likely your Comcast supplied one is Arris and they are notorious for being junk. For the speeds you need, Docsis 3.0 is plenty and a cheap TP Link router will be fine too. Combos are not the recommended approach. I'd be surprised if they phase out D3.0 anytime soon. I guess if you want to be future proof you can get a D3.1.

@drinkingbird

DOCSIS 4.0 capability to more than 50 million homes and businesses before the end of 2025.

Things will be changing sooner than later in the realm of CABLE. D3.x won't support Full Duplex which is where things are going with D4.0. This will level the playing field with Fiber deployments.

See pic below @ https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modem-router-combo-recommendation.83098/post-817876

The big issue with Cable has always been the upload speeds. 200mbps is nice with D3.1 but, the highest offer with any cable carrier is ~50mbps and usually only on gig plans or higher. So, if D4.0 is coming in less than 2 years it's best to have at least D3.1 since when they flip the switch you might be lucky and get 4X the upload speed for free vs being stuck at 30mbps under D3.0.

At one point Arris was the go to for modems as they preformed better and had less issues to call in about to get them fixed. Motorola stole their cake though and then as mentioned got eaten by Arris.

https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-xfinity-internet-service/ -- good resource for a quick glance but, there are other options out there if you need higher speeds on the modem side like the 2.5ge ports on the higher end MB/SB models. AFAIK there isn't any modem option with 5GE/10GE at this point though. 10GE ports will probably show up on D4 modems though since that's projected to be able to perform at those speeds.

For the basis of the OP / splitting CM & router into 2 devices I still stick by MB8600 or MB8611. They will hold their value when it comes time to upgrade again and will be able to be sold competitively to pay for the upgrade to D4. I bought my modem 5+ years ago now and could still get quite a bit back from the cost of it. Pricing has been stable on them since release in the area of $160 and they haven't depreciated like other options. It's a worthwhile investment if you plan on sticking with Cable for awhile. Even a short term is a good investment to save the $15/mo on the rental fee which pays for it in under a year.

The other issue is some of the Arris SB series has/had issues with the chipset they were using for awhile.

Attachments

• 1674327705388.png
    1674327705388.png
    39.3 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

Thanks in advance
I had ordered ARRIS see my specs under my post. The had beefed my account up to their GIGABIT EXTRA most that can muster 720 mbps if your lucky to get that rate. Most I've seen 600 mbps down and 50 up. I have unlimited data with that package because I'm YouTube content creator manage 9 channel and upload 1080p 60p files sometimes 4K video. Modem should support both DOCSIS 3.0 & 3.1 mine is 3.1 shows up as blue when connected. Green for 3.0. They have to make sure you service is gear up to support your overall plan as in my case it wasn't now it is. New hub box new lines to the house. I say a wired manage router business type if you can afford it not cheap. Business type AP mount those on the ceiling. 1500 square foot house might take 2 of those APs because of any EMI/EMF electric noise in your electric lines. I use power conditioner those are use for Audio Studio Gear. I run/create Music and run a channel as well. I need clean sound without extra static in lines. I do have one for my network is housed in mini rackmount.

The information above is wrong. DOCSIS version is shifted one position to the left. DOCSIS 3.0 is up to 1Gbps/200Mbps.

Business type AP
I use an NWA210AX and it covers 1300sqft corner to corner and they're running about $150 on Amazon.

DOCSIS version is shifted one position to the left. DOCSIS 3.0 is 1Gbps/200Mbps.
Possibly, but, also knowing Comcast and other providers will be pushing off 3.0 devices to make room for FDX it's a better buy to go 3.1 and not find yourself having to buy a new modem again in 6-12 months or whatever short term period it take them to throw a wrench in the mix.

I never commented on what is better to buy. I'm saying the information above is wrong including highlighted numbers.

@drinkingbird

DOCSIS 4.0 capability to more than 50 million homes and businesses before the end of 2025.

Things will be changing sooner than later in the realm of CABLE. D3.x won't support Full Duplex which is where things are going with D4.0. This will level the playing field with Fiber deployments.

See pic below @ https://www.snbforums.com/threads/modem-router-combo-recommendation.83098/post-817876

The big issue with Cable has always been the upload speeds. 200mbps is nice with D3.1 but, the highest offer with any cable carrier is ~50mbps and usually only on gig plans or higher. So, if D4.0 is coming in less than 2 years it's best to have at least D3.1 since when they flip the switch you might be lucky and get 4X the upload speed for free vs being stuck at 30mbps under D3.0.

At one point Arris was the go to for modems as they preformed better and had less issues to call in about to get them fixed. Motorola stole their cake though and then as mentioned got eaten by Arris.

https://pickmymodem.com/approved-modems-for-xfinity-internet-service/ -- good resource for a quick glance but, there are other options out there if you need higher speeds on the modem side like the 2.5ge ports on the higher end MB/SB models. AFAIK there isn't any modem option with 5GE/10GE at this point though. 10GE ports will probably show up on D4 modems though since that's projected to be able to perform at those speeds.

For the basis of the OP / splitting CM & router into 2 devices I still stick by MB8600 or MB8611. They will hold their value when it comes time to upgrade again and will be able to be sold competitively to pay for the upgrade to D4. I bought my modem 5+ years ago now and could still get quite a bit back from the cost of it. Pricing has been stable on them since release in the area of $160 and they haven't depreciated like other options. It's a worthwhile investment if you plan on sticking with Cable for awhile. Even a short term is a good investment to save the $15/mo on the rental fee which pays for it in under a year.

The other issue is some of the Arris SB series has/had issues with the chipset they were using for awhile.

I'm aware of D4 - also aware that this user likely won't have it for years, it is a major overhaul of the network requiring replacement of every node and in some cases new fiber and/or coax. You also can't buy a D4 modem yet (even if you could, it would be a waste of money). Comcast has not announced any end of support for D3, they just aren't offering D3.0 for rental or purchase anymore, and yes their support will tell you to get D3.1 only (in some cases they may even use it as an excuse for an issue you're seeing but that is complete BS). Considering you can get a D3 modem for $20 or less off CL or ebay, and this user is a casual internet user at most, why spend more? Like I said if they want to go for D3.1, by all means go for it, can still get an SB D3.1 modem for under $100. Even if the D3 modem goes EOS in a year or two still got more than your money's worth out of it.

I hate the all in one units. I know someone who had one of the Motorola units, not only could they not install a critical firmware update to fix the wifi in it due to the ISP controlling the device, many features were locked out by the ISP. If you want to upgrade or replace the modem, you have to replace the whole thing. Want to upgrade your wifi ability? Again, gotta replace the whole thing. And from extensive experience, the combo units do neither function very well. The wireless is always lackluster in them.

The only Arris SB modems affected by that bug were SBG and SBV (combo and voice). Another reason to avoid the combos.

My understanding is a D3.1 modem will not get increased upload speed when they "flip the switch". You'll need D4 to get the benefit of full duplex and new upload speeds. Besides, just because they've tested multi gig uploads in a lab with D4 doesn't mean you'll see anywhere near that in the real world, at least not without major extension of the fiber plant, replacement of all the existing coax, deploying more nodes with less households on each, etc. D3.1 is capable of over 1G upload and the fastest speed tier you can get is 50 megs. D4 is for the benefit of the ISP to be able to pack more users on, not for the benefit of households and increased upload speed. Most people don't even pay attention to the upload speed, they're more concerned with bumping the download number so they can sell it for more and pack more people on to existing infra.

Upload speed matters with more video conferencing / WFH users.

There's a lot of people moving to gig for upload but, I got higher upload by switching to T-Mobile FWA for half the price. Now, VZW is spamming mailbox for half that price.

Having worked on the cellular side and prepping things for moves from one tech to another the signs are there for weening older modems off the network to move forward. When pushing from 3G to LTE there were incentives on handsets to get the older stuff off the network to prep for shutdown of legacy services. Eventually this happened whether people got new handsets or not. The process of winding down legacy tech took a couple of years but it happened faster than projected.

It's up to the op but we're on the same page other than price. Providers like Comcast though do turn on additional perks for compatible equipment periodically like speed boosts to existing plans. For instance upping the gig speeds to 1200 for the gig plan awhile back. Other tiers went up as well. There will be a day when they taper speeds for 3.0 devices to the point you'll wonder what happened to your service just to find out you need to get a new modem again.

Upload speed matters with more video conferencing / WFH users.

There's a lot of people moving to gig for upload but, I got higher upload by switching to T-Mobile FWA for half the price. Now, VZW is spamming mailbox for half that price.

Having worked on the cellular side and prepping things for moves from one tech to another the signs are there for weening older modems off the network to move forward. When pushing from 3G to LTE there were incentives on handsets to get the older stuff off the network to prep for shutdown of legacy services. Eventually this happened whether people got new handsets or not. The process of winding down legacy tech took a couple of years but it happened faster than projected.

It's up to the op but we're on the same page other than price. Providers like Comcast though do turn on additional perks for compatible equipment periodically like speed boosts to existing plans. For instance upping the gig speeds to 1200 for the gig plan awhile back. Other tiers went up as well. There will be a day when they taper speeds for 3.0 devices to the point you'll wonder what happened to your service just to find out you need to get a new modem again.

I'm all for upload speed, I have 300/300 FIOS and would never go back to cable. But you're not going to magically get faster uploads when they roll out D4, unless you have a D4 modem. The D3 and 3.1 are already capable of much faster upload than they give you and they rarely increase that (and when they do, it is by a tiny bit). Giving you faster upload on D3/3.1 would require them to eat up bandwidth they don't have to bond additional channels, as opposed to D4 which uses more advanced encoding schemes to get more throughput over the same (or less) bandwidth.

My mom's old SB6141 is D3 and listed as "not supported" now and just got a free upgrade from 100M to 200M from Comcast.

They won't reduce your speed to get you to get a new modem, you'll just stop getting increases once it goes beyond the ability of your modem (approx 350M in that modem's case). Eventually they will stop supporting it completely like they did with D2 modems but they'll give you plenty of advance warning for that, doubtful it will be in the next year or two.

The difference with the cellular companies is they give either free or highly reduced handsets to get you off older technologies. Comcast isn't going to do that.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!