What's new

Modem + Router DHCP Questions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zoldyck

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have a DSL model/router combo which is provided by my ISP, and I set LAN port 1 to bridged mode which I used to connect(WAN) my own ac router.

So. my question is:

Should I disable DHCP on the modem or router to avoid IP conflicts?

If you can bridge the ISP router / modem, that would be the best configuration.

Yes, the isp modem/router allows me to set LAN port 1 to bridged mode.

I was just wondering if I need to make other changes to my own router.

On many..if not most...of the ISP supplied combo modem/routers, typically when you flip them to bridged mode, it kills DHCP on them...so you need to assign your computer a static IP if you ever want to connect and log into the GUI again.

There are a few models which do the public IP passthrough mode....to your own internal routers WAN interface...and you can leave DHCP enabled. Just ensure your own router is a separate LAN IP range than the inside of the ISP combo modem/router...allows you to connect the ISP router from inside your own router.

There is no harm in leaving DHCP on...as long as your inside router picks up the public IP on its own interface (meaning the ISP router is properly bridged)....DHCP gets blocked from flowing inwards by the NAT of your own router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!