What's new

modmon modmon - WebUI for monitoring Virgin Hub 3 cable modem stats

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Would graphing Virgin Media Superhub 3 stats from Merlin be useful for you?

• Yes

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dear Jack, dear fellow enthusiasts,

It might not be super in line with forum "Etiquette" to post three messages in a row, but I want to share my good vibe and send more gratefulness to Jack. In just a few days, I could fork modmon and create a hack that gets data from a pretty different router. It's at https://github.com/waluwaz/modmon/releases/tag/v0.1.0-alpha if you're curious. It's mostly a mess but it already seems to mostly work.

So, if you have an unsupported modem, and significant IT experience, even without being a guru like Jack, you could give it a shot.

Thanks a million Jack. Your code is pure bliss. As opposed to your modem, mine uses a varying set of channels (16 among 20, see how e.g. 5,6,7,8 are absent below because the modem doesn't use them at the moment). With just a minor change in the data import, everything else adapts reasonably well. And the modem is already collecting the first figures as we speak, see screenshot below. :)

My third donation is coming your way. I was already a fan of spdMerlin and connmon. The whole set is invaluable when the connection gets unreliable and I need some evidence to motivate the ISP to dig deep (figuratively as my cable comes from poles).

Take care everyone
Best regards
Wistuplu

Screenshot from 2022-03-15 23-55-25.png

Dear Jack, dear fellow enthusiasts,

It might not be super in line with forum "Etiquette" to post three messages in a row, but I want to share my good vibe and send more gratefulness to Jack. In just a few days, I could fork modmon and create a hack that gets data from a pretty different router. It's at https://github.com/waluwaz/modmon/releases/tag/v0.1.0-alpha if you're curious. It's mostly a mess but it already seems to mostly work.

So, if you have an unsupported modem, and significant IT experience, even without being a guru like Jack, you could give it a shot.

Thanks a million Jack. Your code is pure bliss. As opposed to your modem, mine uses a varying set of channels (16 among 20, see how e.g. 5,6,7,8 are absent below because the modem doesn't use them at the moment). With just a minor change in the data import, everything else adapts reasonably well. And the modem is already collecting the first figures as we speak, see screenshot below. :)

My third donation is coming your way. I was already a fan of spdMerlin and connmon. The whole set is invaluable when the connection gets unreliable and I need some evidence to motivate the ISP to dig deep (figuratively as my cable comes from poles).

Take care everyone
Best regards
Wistuplu

View attachment 40208
Very nice work!

Nice @Wistuplu - your modem looks like a rebranded Arris modem. I get very similar output using that link:
Screenshot 2022-03-18 073152.png

Arris modems are quite popular in the US.

I think I will check this out :)

Nice @Wistuplu - your modem looks like a rebranded Arris modem. I get very similar output using that link:
View attachment 40241

Arris modems are quite popular in the US.

I think I will check this out :)
Virgin Media use Arris with a UI skin slapped on top. :)

Hub 1 = NETGEAR VMDG480 / CG3101D
Hub 2 = Netgear CG4000TD (VMDG485)
Hub 3 = Arris VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM
Hub 4 = Arris TG3492LG-VMB

@Jack Yaz I upgraded to Gig1 with the Hub 4. Will modmon get Hub 4 support any time soon or should I now remove modmon?

Virgin Media use Arris with a UI skin slapped on top. :)

Hub 1 = NETGEAR VMDG480 / CG3101D
Hub 2 = Netgear CG4000TD (VMDG485)
Hub 3 = Arris VMDG505 / TG2492LG-VM
Hub 4 = Arris TG3492LG-VMB

@Jack Yaz I upgraded to Gig1 with the Hub 4. Will modmon get Hub 4 support any time soon or should I now remove modmon?
The Hub4 unfortunately has a bug where after X stat queries, it starts returning all 0s, including if you directly log in to the modem! (see https://github.com/msh100/modem-stats/issues/2)

Damn, they upgraded me to a SH4 as my contract was up etc... It was fun while it lasted :)