What's new

More RT-AX58U woes

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JWoo

Seems like I am the only one with the RT-AX58U router blues. Crashes multiple times some days. Currently on Beta 5. Not using scripts, USB drive. Just running traffic. Attached is a crash log. Would appreciate some additional eyes on this to see if I have a HW or SW fault.

Seems like I am the only one with the RT-AX58U router blues. Crashes multiple times some days. Currently on Beta 5. Not using scripts, USB drive. Just running traffic. Attached is a crash log. Would appreciate some additional eyes on this to see if I have a HW or SW fault.

FWIW, I tried a AX58U earlier in 2020 and found it to be unstable on both Asus and Merlin firmware. For example, simply changing the wifi settings caused the router to reboot, and it would periodically reboot on its own.

After about a week, I boxed it up and sent it back. Kept my AC66U_B1 until recently moving to the AX86U.

Doesn't help you with a fix, but at least supports your experience.

PS - Nothing attached ;)

I can only say I've been running 2 AX58Us (1 as router, other as access point) on Asus firmware for 6 months now with zero issues. Mix of hard wired, AC & AX clients, network printer, 2 NAS boxes, all work fine.

Sam

I had stability issues with the RT-AX58U. Running traffic only I was experiencing crashes and connected devices would often drop wifi, sometimes requiring a restart of the device or router to correct the issue. Guides and recommendations from this forum regarding settings seemed to mitigate the issues but they were always present.

Swapped the device for an RT-AX86U, flashed 386.1 beta 2 and each subsequent build, and I've had zero issues. I am now running YazFi and Cake-QOS as well.

Sorry I can't be of any help but I understand your blues

I haven't had any issues on mine with 384.19 or the 386.1 betas, just installed 386.1 beta 5, so I'll give it a couple of days and see if any crashes etc show up.

I have a total of 3 RT-AX58Us in Router and 2 node AImesh combination. No Scripts, running Merlin B5 and in the the recent past, the "official" betas.
Only issues I did have was if the nodes got a power off or manual restart, then I did get a boat load of Deauths in the logs as the nodes would connect, and then not allow any clients connect to them. The clients would then default to the main router where in "range" . The nodes are connected via ethernet for Backhaul and the Backhaul mode is selected. To get the nodes to behave , toggling the backhaul off to allow it to use Wifi if needed, allowed the nodes to connect to the router and the clients , back to the nodes. Merlin Beta 5 and its GPL seems to behave better and I know ASUS has a more recent GPL they are testing (if not released today) for the 58U that addresses these deauths.

I would suggest, if not already tried, a WPS reset of the Router. Log in, Factory reset, reboot.
Wait 5-10 mins, flash B5 , factory reset, reboot.
Then manually enter a basic configuration. just enough to get you connected to Wifi and the outside world safely... Reboot, and let it settle for 10 mins.
Then start tweaking...
I know.. a total PITA, but if i have learnt anything, you have to have a good baseline. Pic attached in case you want to compare?

Attachments

• 58u.JPG
    58u.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 290
Same here. Mine running without any issues. No scripts or drives just basic WiFi on 2.4 and 5 frequencies.

So what happens after you upgrade to the Final Release?

And what happens if you only use IPV4?

I just RMAed it back to Asus. So running an old Netgear R7000 with Fresh Tomato now until Asus sends it back.

So what happens after you upgrade to the Final Release?

And what happens if you only use IPV4?
I have similar problems.
Using latest firmware (386.?) the router crashes. I always reset the router twice - button & GUI before and after updating.

Upgraded to 386, next morning router had restarted at least once (IP changed), during the AM the router crashed at least 5 times (that's all I noted). I can see the router, when it crashes all the lights go out and it restarts.

Have tried other versions of ASUS and Merlin firmware for my router 384.17 is the most reliable. I just worked backwards 'till I found one that appeared to be stable.

No longer have my notes however other versions (between 384.17 and latest) also cause problems. The problems range from crashes to out of memory. The out of memory errors take a few days. I keep an on the free memory and it slowly decreases to zero, shortly after the router will restart. I have forwarded some of the logs to ASUS via the GUI, it is clear the router is out of memory from the entries in the log file.

AX58u has been stable for 2 days with 384.17(Merlin) memory at 59% free, QOS enabled.

I have similar problems.
Using latest firmware (386.?) the router crashes. I always reset the router twice - button & GUI before and after updating.

Upgraded to 386, next morning router had restarted at least once (IP changed), during the AM the router crashed at least 5 times (that's all I noted). I can see the router, when it crashes all the lights go out and it restarts.

Have tried other versions of ASUS and Merlin firmware for my router 384.17 is the most reliable. I just worked backwards 'till I found one that appeared to be stable.

No longer have my notes however other versions (between 384.17 and latest) also cause problems. The problems range from crashes to out of memory. The out of memory errors take a few days. I keep an on the free memory and it slowly decreases to zero, shortly after the router will restart. I have forwarded some of the logs to ASUS via the GUI, it is clear the router is out of memory from the entries in the log file.

AX58u has been stable for 2 days with 384.17(Merlin) memory at 59% free, QOS enabled.
If you are forwarding the logs to Asus, while running Merlin firmware, it’s unlikely they are even looking at them.

If you are forwarding the logs to Asus, while running Merlin firmware, it’s unlikely they are even looking at them.
Logs have only been sent to ASUS from their firmware (I believe that the logs can only be forwarded to Asus from their GUI). Have tried most versions of ASUS & Merlin firmware. Problem has been reported to ASUS. Had a bit of trouble with the serial number, ASUS site kept saying invalid. Took me awhile to figure out that what I thought was a 1(one) was an I(upper case i).

AX58U crash - Contacted ASUS support, sent logs etc. After a few emails ASUS requested the unit be sent back for repair. The router was returned about 10 days later and is now functioning properly on the latest ASUS firmware (Version 3.0.0.4.386.42095).

With my RT-AX58U, it was deemed not repairable by Asus (most likely the NAND chip based on log files). What did they do to your unit?

Appears to be a replacement box as the serial number is different. May be new as the antenna, PS and cable were in plastic bags.

Have to revise my comments re "is now functioning properly" as the router has crashed. Currently on Merlin 386.1 beta 1, perhaps it is a software problem. Anyway the router did run without problems for a full day+, the previous unit would crash multiple times per hour.

I have three RT-AX3000's (nearly identical to the RT-AX58U's). One is operating as a router, the other two as standard AP's without AiMesh. I've found that these units randomly reboot on firmware variants from 3.0.0.4.384.10177 - 3.0.0.4.386.41700 on stock Asus, and the Merlin 386.1 builds.) When these randomly reboot, I notice a kernel panic in the syslog that seems related to bcmsw_rx.

The most stable version that I've found is Merlin 384.19, which I believe is based off of 384.9354.

I have not tried the latest 3.0.0.4.386.42095 stock Asus firmware, nor the Merlin 386.2 betas that are derived from it.

Had my AX58U since i believe Nov of 2019. That said i have used every and all firmware Merlin and stock and never had the router reboot on its own. Been damn near rock solid. No Amesh no add ons just basic setup and use. I do use DNS/TLS and Ipv6.

RT-AX3000 with scripts in my signature. Runs great.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!