What's new

Mosquitto on AsusWRT firmware / Asus RT-AC68U Router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thank you for the answer above, but I'm still not convinced of the benefits? I do not want anything 'automatic' in my life. There are too many reasons to not do things automatically. Having something happen just because I do something else is programming myself into a robot, in my eyes. I'm much less predictable than that and so is my life as well as others around me. I may walk out the door, but I may also be coming right back in, in your example. Or, someone else is home/etc. To each his/her own though! :)

Thanks again for the details. 'Home Automation' is not something I will be using soon (if ever).

Doesn't always have to be used for home automation, can be used for other things let collecting temperatures from all around your house in one convenient spot. Watch the video you might be surprised what you think you can use it for. He explains how his house works in the start but the explanation of MQTT / OpenHAB starts around 16 minutes.

OK so I have had many sleeps now since I did all this and have forgotten 99% of what I did (lucky it is here to reference).

Quick question if I update my AsusWRT to the latest version will it wipe out the files I created / things I installed, or will it just go over the top of the existing version without need to be re-set up?

Hello,
This is probably a very basic question but I am a newbie at all this.. I have the mosquitto broker up and running on my RT-N66U with merlin, and all is working well. However, I cannot figure out how to have the mosquitto service auto-run after reboot, without me having to ssh in and start the service manually.
Would someone be kind enough to guide me through this?
Thanks and Happy New Year!

Answering here not there. And just to point you in the right direction. I guess you should have a Sxy.sh script located at /opt/etc/init.d with a content similar to this one:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

ENABLED=yes
PROCS=name_of_the_process_to_be_run_as_a_service
ARGS="-b" <-- this is just an example, needs to be updated
PREARGS=""
DESC=$PROCS
PATH=/opt/sbin:/opt/bin:/opt/usr/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin

. /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func

Sxy.sh in a form where x and y are digits and, of course, being runnable with chmod +x Sxy.sh