What's new

Moved to aimesh and it seems worse

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

banz

Regular Contributor
Originally I have 1 router and 1 access point connected together via ethernet. Both at center of the house and one on each floor. It kinda works but just annoying to manage when I have to update them.

I was thinking let's try out aimesh and buy another extra access point to increase the coverage to the deadspot.

Now I have 1 aimesh master and 2 nodes. One of the aimesh nodes just use wifi 5G as the backhaul whereas the other 2 is on ethernet.

Coverage is slightly better but overall the network performance has degraded. VOIP like zoom, google meet starts stuttering and dropping out. Spot where I used to get perfect signal with 850mbps now gets less than 100mbps. I would also need to randomly reboot the main aimesh router as it would just say WAN down. But I checked the modem and the lights are green so I know WAN is not down. 5G is now worse than my 2.4G in terms of throughput. My 5G clients would randomly stop working and start working again while the 2.4G devices are fine.

I noticed aimesh force all nodes to run on the same channel, could it be that the nodes are too close together?

Originally I have 1 router and 1 access point connected together via ethernet. Both at center of the house and one on each floor. It kinda works but just annoying to manage when I have to update them.

I was thinking let's try out aimesh and buy another extra access point to increase the coverage to the deadspot.

Now I have 1 aimesh master and 2 nodes. One of the aimesh nodes just use wifi 5G as the backhaul whereas the other 2 is on ethernet.

Coverage is slightly better but overall the network performance has degraded. VOIP like zoom, google meet starts stuttering and dropping out. Spot where I used to get perfect signal with 850mbps now gets less than 100mbps. I would also need to randomly reboot the main aimesh router as it would just say WAN down. But I checked the modem and the lights are green so I know WAN is not down. 5G is now worse than my 2.4G in terms of throughput. My 5G clients would randomly stop working and start working again while the 2.4G devices are fine.

I noticed aimesh force all nodes to run on the same channel, could it be that the nodes are too close together?

Could be.

My AiMesh install notes might help. Get the router installed and working properly; then add a node, if necessary to extend coverage.

OE

Last edited:
The link is on his url. It's the one that I used to set it up. I took a node out and it seems to be a little more stable.

It kinda works but just annoying to manage when I have to update them.
Hi. I am too disappointed with AiMesh, with 1 router + 2 nodes (all CT8). See my single thread on here so far.

it is getting to the point where disconnections happen so frequently (especially on Guest Network but not exclusively) that I will have to switch to AP mode.

Wondering what do you mean by “annoying to manage when need to update” because it’s a consideration for me as well.

I have AiMesh root router RT-AC86U and AiMesh node router RT-AC68U. I found that the Merlin firmware on the root and Asus firmware on the node works best for me:

1635037865503.png