What's new

Moving from ASUS RT-N66U, unsure which one to pick: RT-AC68U or RT-AC3200

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pirx73

Looking at their specs, they are quite similar, except for 6 antennas for AC3200.
AC3200 has smart connect (another WiFi bandwidth management thing) and traffic analyzer (built-in wireshark?) while AC68U has not.
Price difference between both here is about 50€.
The question is: does +50€ prince increase warrant purchase of AC3200 over AC68?
I have 802.11ac capable devices at home.
WAN connection is 100Mbit GPON. In future i might upgrade it - besides 100Mbit ISP also offers 250 and 400.

One Con against AC3200 i see already - it is not supported by Merlin's firmware.

One Con against AC3200 i see already - it is not supported by Merlin's firmware.

The RT-AC3200 is supported. However, being an oddball, it might not be supported for as long as the other models.

The only reason to get an RT-AC3200 is if you have a lot of devices, and need to split high-performance from slow-performance devices between separate radios. Otherwise, it's not worth it. Smart Connect isn't always 100% compatible with all clients.

OK, so i was spot on with my suspicions about AC3200. I see that there is no reason to spend +50€ for AC3200. Thanks @RMerlin!
I only have few devices at home - 2 tablets (both 802.11ac capable), 3 phones (2 of them 2.4GHz only, other one is 802.11ac capable), 2 laptops+(ocassionaly) my work laptop - 2 of them are 802.11ac capable.
RT-AC68U will be enough then.

Last edited: