What's new

Multi-gig switch vs wired direct

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hydroz23

New Around Here
I am about to get a 2G fiber connection and looking to replace my original Google mesh Wi-Fi system (3pack). I have been researching Wi-Fi 6/6e routers here for weeks and still unable to decide. I have realized that if I do two or more routers, they should be wired. My question is if I were to use two routers with 2.5GB ports, would it be better if they were wired directly together meaning I would need two 2.5GB ports on one of the routers or use a Multi-gig switch? I was looking at Wi-Fi 6e routers but also the Asus GT-AX6000 for main unit and ASUS RT-AX86U.

Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg

With a 2.5GbE ISP and your need for a 2.5GbE LAN, the GT-AX6000 is the best option for you. Your second diagram won't work with a single Public IP provided by your ISP.

For the nodes, ideally, another GT-AX6000 is suggested, but the RT-AX86U would also work well too.

You need a 2.5GbE WAN port and a 2.5GbE LAN port on the main router. You will also need at least one 2.5GbE WAN port on the nodes too. In addition to a switch at that node's location if you want to have wired 2.5GbE devices there too. Don't forget about a 2.5GbE switch at the main router's location too, if you want to plug in 2.5GbE client devices there too.

All ports/switches below are 2.5GbE:
ONT-----------Main Router WAN
Main Router LAN---Switch1, Port1------------------------------------------Switch2---1st Node's WAN
Switch1, Port2------------------------------------------Switch3---2nd Node's WAN
Switch1, Port3------------------------------------------Switch4---3rd Node's WAN

The above diagram assumes you want LAN ports at each router/node location.

You can also connect Node 2 or 3 to Switches 2 or 3 too.

Ah ok yes I see why the second drawing would not work. I would not need to have anything wired on the second node. Would two GT-AX600's be a solid combo going into 2023 for while? Is 25-30' too enough space between units?

2x GT-AX6000s is what my goal is in the next few weeks (I now have RT-AX86U main and GT-AX6000 node). This is what I plan to use while WiFi 6E or WiFi 7 products become either Gen 2 or just available before I consider upgrading my network again.

If that distance was free air with no obstacles, I would guess no. But if there are walls/floors also in between, it may be enough.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

I did get the two GT-AX6000's and have them wired. Just have to wait for the fiber connection in a few weeks. Just changing the routers from the original Google Wi-Fi system tripled my existing speeds.