Multi-gig switch vs wired direct

hydroz23

New Around Here
I am about to get a 2G fiber connection and looking to replace my original Google mesh Wi-Fi system (3pack). I have been researching Wi-Fi 6/6e routers here for weeks and still unable to decide. I have realized that if I do two or more routers, they should be wired. My question is if I were to use two routers with 2.5GB ports, would it be better if they were wired directly together meaning I would need two 2.5GB ports on one of the routers or use a Multi-gig switch? I was looking at Wi-Fi 6e routers but also the Asus GT-AX6000 for main unit and ASUS RT-AX86U.

Untitled1.jpg
Untitled.jpg

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
With a 2.5GbE ISP and your need for a 2.5GbE LAN, the GT-AX6000 is the best option for you. Your second diagram won't work with a single Public IP provided by your ISP.

For the nodes, ideally, another GT-AX6000 is suggested, but the RT-AX86U would also work well too.

You need a 2.5GbE WAN port and a 2.5GbE LAN port on the main router. You will also need at least one 2.5GbE WAN port on the nodes too. In addition to a switch at that node's location if you want to have wired 2.5GbE devices there too. Don't forget about a 2.5GbE switch at the main router's location too, if you want to plug in 2.5GbE client devices there too.

All ports/switches below are 2.5GbE:
ONT-----------Main Router WAN
Main Router LAN---Switch1, Port1------------------------------------------Switch2---1st Node's WAN
Switch1, Port2------------------------------------------Switch3---2nd Node's WAN
Switch1, Port3------------------------------------------Switch4---3rd Node's WAN

The above diagram assumes you want LAN ports at each router/node location.

You can also connect Node 2 or 3 to Switches 2 or 3 too.

hydroz23

New Around Here
Ah ok yes I see why the second drawing would not work. I would not need to have anything wired on the second node. Would two GT-AX600's be a solid combo going into 2023 for while? Is 25-30' too enough space between units?

L&LD

Part of the Furniture
2x GT-AX6000s is what my goal is in the next few weeks (I now have RT-AX86U main and GT-AX6000 node). This is what I plan to use while WiFi 6E or WiFi 7 products become either Gen 2 or just available before I consider upgrading my network again.

If that distance was free air with no obstacles, I would guess no. But if there are walls/floors also in between, it may be enough.

AiMesh Ideal Placement

hydroz23

New Around Here
I did get the two GT-AX6000's and have them wired. Just have to wait for the fiber connection in a few weeks. Just changing the routers from the original Google Wi-Fi system tripled my existing speeds.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!