What's new

Multiple dual band routers utilized as chain repeaters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What is the expected network load? What is the ISP offering?

What is your budget for this?

The link you included doesn't seem to be applicable in any way to what you want to achieve.

>What is the expected network load? <

One or two 720p IP cameras per AP.

> What is the ISP offering?<

ISP? It's not actually for internet access, it's for IP cameras.

>What is your budget for this?<

Low budget. People here always think installing cameras is cheap, comparing prices with Costco.

>What is the expected network load? <

One or two 720p IP cameras per AP.

> What is the ISP offering?<

ISP? It's not actually for internet access, it's for IP cameras.

>What is your budget for this?<

Low budget. People here always think installing cameras is cheap, comparing prices with Costco.

'Low budget' is not helpful. Some customers want me to 'save them money' and then tell me that the ceiling is $10K for hardware and setup. :)

Others say they want a money no object solution and want the hardware and my time for less than $200.

For up to two simple cameras though per AP, you can almost get the cheapest WiFi routers you can find that will accept better (directional) antennae. But what is saved in hardware will be spent in labour and setup.

Well the isp i used to work for used ubnt nanostation for the rv park campgrounds we service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the isp i used to work for used ubnt nanostation for the rv park campgrounds we service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Buy mesh routers. Tropos is very good. Most mesh router products have an option for the inter-node "backhaul" to be on 5GHz using a proprietary protocol with 802.11's MAC.

Beware there are quite a few amateurish mesh routers out there.

Are you really sure you don't need outdoor APs? If indoor is fine, I'd look at using TP-Link WDR3600. They work great in WPS mode. If the range isn't too great between them, bridge them on the 5GHz band. If you need the extra range, bridge them on 2.4GHz.

Depending on how many hops you have and how many cameras, I would say you could get away with 6, located every 200 meters on 2.4GHz if you swap on some 9dBi antennas and it'll probably handle 6-8Mbps per camera (so potentially 42Mbps on the wireless). I can push 60Mbps between my WDR3600 and my laptop on 2.4GHz 20MHz outdoors at a distance of about 120ft/40m. 200m is much longer, but I also only have 7dBi antennas on my WDR3600 right now. A pair of them, both with 9dBi would likely have an easy 10dBi gain over my current setup, as well as more powerful radios (because laptop). So that should probably triple or quadruple the range you could get with the same 60Mbps or so of bandwidth.

A note, anything over 40-50Mbps of desired bandwidth at 200 meters and you pretty much need to go with a dedicated directional bridge or very high gain directional antennas, like 12/14dBi panel antennas, 14/16/18dBi yagi or 24dBi parabolic.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!