What's new

music buffering

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

syx123

Occasional Visitor
Hi all. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on my problem. I have an RT-n66u running merlin's firmware. This is connected by hardwire to my Pioneer av amp and Qnap nas. I have various devices connected via wifi (phones,ipad,laptops etc), and my marantz mcr610 music system connected via powerline adapters.

The issue is when i listen to music on the music server, after a short time, anywhere from 10 minutes onwards, the music files start to buffer. I tried originally to do this over wifi, and thought the powerline adapters would cure this.

My internet download speeds are @ 5-6Mb/s

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

In this day and age your bandwidth is low but more than adequate streaming music IF you are not trying to stream or download to many other things at the same time.

What I recommend to isolate the problem is go into the real time traffic manager on your router and actually look at the traffic flow on your network.

Then use a utility as LAN Speed Test to tet the throughput of your LAN.

Also use an utility to test what the link rate of your powerline adapters are. If the rate is jumping all over the place then you have some source of interference.

Finally connect your receiver directly to your modem using an Ethernet connection if that is an option and see if that solves the problem. If it does then the source of your problems is on your LAN.

I would say the powerline adaptors to your music system is the weak link.

Which RMerlin version are you running? I would recommend the 374.38_2-em from RMerlin, or, try the latest 2239 beta from the Asus support site for the N66U.

With the latest firmware - see if the range and throughput has increased enough to do away with the powerline adaptors (have never seen these work consistently ever).

If there is also other traffic on the network while you're listening to music - you may need to also setup QoS to give your Marantz music system priority.

I would say the powerline adaptors to your music system is the weak link.

Which RMerlin version are you running? I would recommend the 374.38_2-em from RMerlin, or, try the latest 2239 beta from the Asus support site for the N66U.

With the latest firmware - see if the range and throughput has increased enough to do away with the powerline adaptors (have never seen these work consistently ever).

If there is also other traffic on the network while you're listening to music - you may need to also setup QoS to give your Marantz music system priority.

I am running 36_beta1-sdk5. the only thing that worries me about installing 38_2-em is loading it properly. As a novice with all this, i would need a step-by -step guide to be confident. If it was just a case of unplugging all the periferals, loading the firmware and then re-connecting, i'm ok with that :D

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!