What's new

My New Toy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I recommend Prime95 for the cold winter days.
Briefly, but i needed a vga cable from work, cba taking the hd out to install off another pc.

Thinking of making it a NAS now, those 8 bays need filling up.

Where are you, south of France?

Yes, Spain. Don't push that button again.
You feel that? just pressed it, it's off again now, until next time I notice you misbehaving.

Super micro x8dtl-IF, 2 x Xeon 2.4ghz E6520, dual psu, 24GB mem, 8 HDD Drive Bays, no drives (yet), 4 PCI E, 2 PCI

nice toy - bit power hungry to run 24/7 perhaps, but in the winter, could be a useful space heater ;)

Ubuntu Server - play with Docker, KVM, or even Proxmox - 24GB of RAM is plenty to play with.

Also downloaded kubuntu.
You don't need to do that. You can swap the skin / desktop with packages rather than downloading the complete ISO. I just switched from the default gdm3 to sddm because I don't use it as a desktop and don't need all of the random packages installed for "users". I would install the server package instead of desktop but, occasionally need the desktop for some things. Any DEB based version though is easy to work with. A useful tool for monitoring it though is webmin.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!