What's new

My PC keeps waking up randomly from sleep with WOL enabled in Windows - Router problem?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Buldozerx

Occasional Visitor
I have enbled WOL in Windows so I can wake my PC up remotely. I have also enabled so only a magic packet can wake up my PC, yet it keeps waking up randomly from sleep mode. Can this be caused by my router? RX-AX86U.

I have enbled WOL in Windows so I can wake my PC up remotely. I have also enabled so only a magic packet can wake up my PC, yet it keeps waking up randomly from sleep mode. Can this be caused by my router? RX-AX86U.
No, it is a Windows problem. WOL turns the power on when the PC is turned off but still plugged into a power source. Since the last WIndows upgrade my desktop does not ever sleep.

You might want to consider using a wifi-enabled AC smart plug to control your PC rather than WOL (which is problematic in many cases, e.g., it typically doesn't work w/ wireless). Most BIOSes have an option to power up the PC in response to a power loss, once the power is restored. Using a smart AC plug and that option, you can effectively implement WOL, but w/o all the other nonsense and limitations you typically find w/ traditional WOL.

Just a thought.

You might want to consider using a wifi-enabled AC smart plug to control your PC rather than WOL (which is problematic in many cases, e.g., it typically doesn't work w/ wireless). Most BIOSes have an option to power up the PC in response to a power loss, once the power is restored. Using a smart AC plug and that option, you can effectively implement WOL, but w/o all the other nonsense and limitations you typically find w/ traditional WOL.

Just a thought.
Could ethernet solve this?

Could ethernet solve this?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Typically WOL requires a wired connection (if by ethernet you're referring to wired). I'm talking about NOT using WOL at all, but smart AC plugs as a functional replacement.

More likely a scheduled event....
after a wake event run

powercfg /lastwake

as an admin to see what caused the PC to wake up.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!