What's new

My RT-AC68U is resuscitated!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpr105

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

This is my first post on this forum and I ask your indulgence if I do not respect the rules in use on it.

Here is my case:

I have an Asus RT-AC68U that I wanted to flash last week to the last official release (3.0.0.4.384.20648) ... what a bad idea!

After the application of the new firmware I realized that my routing table was gone!:(

Fortunately, I asked help to Asus French technical support and I can tell you that it's a very good address ... if you do not need anything this is where you have to go! :mad:

After a few screenshots before putting it back to factory values it suddenly became unreachable. Only the Power lamp was on, no WiFi and impossible to access the GUI. I spent a day without result and urgently I bought another cheap router (Tp-Link Archer C25 V1) for troubleshoot me.

I installed it but I can tell you it's not the same level as my RT-AC68U ... but it works.:D

After this stress, in peace, I discovered your forum and ... hallelujah ... my RT-AC68U is resuscitated! :)

So I will reinstall it ... but "quietly". Before, I would like to ask you some questions:
  1. what is the advantage of installing Asuswrt-Merlin?
  2. in my previous installation I used a remote control of my home-automation box to disable / enable WiFi from my bed (Telnet / radio off / radio on). I know that Telnet is not recommended but is there another solution ... maybe with Merlin?
  3. I hope that AiMesh is not installed on Asuswrt-Merlin and, if so, is it possible to disable it?
Thank you in advance for your help.

Sincerely - Jean-Paul

1. Merlin is often ahead of the factory firmware with upgraded security & stability features. Offers some extras, such as the ability to run scripts.

2. Merlin does SSH. Telnet not supported.

3. No Aimesh on Merlin.

I’m glad this forum has been of some use to you. It certainly has been a great teacher for me.

Thank you for your answer.

As there is no rush now, I think I'll switch to Merlin this summer.

Regards - Jean-Paul

Yes I did, with the initialize method and everything went OK.
Next step : what do I have to do to be "Merlin ready" ?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. But as I said before I will do it in July ... yet my mind is occupied with our next trip to Ireland.

Between motorhome preparation and POIs selection with their GPS coordinates I have not much time. ;)

Regards - Jean-Paul

Thank you very much, I appreciate your help. But as I said before I will do it in July ... yet my mind is occupied with our next trip to Ireland.

Between motorhome preparation and POIs selection with their GPS coordinates I have not much time. ;)

Regards - Jean-Paul

Lol, it takes less time to flash rmerlin than it does to type the above response.

Hi @Treadler ,

That's it, I finally found time to reconfigure my AC68U and you're right ... it's much more stable and it offers new possibilities. Thanks again. :)

Another question now about scripts ... if you do not mind.

I want to connect to the RT-AC68U (within my LAN network) from my home box and be able to run a script to put my wifi ON or OFF in order not to be "polluted" by the hyperfrequency waves during my sleep. :mad:

Rather than spending hours looking for it on the Net, would you have a way to help me?

Thank you in advance.
Regards - Jean-Paul

Hi @Treadler ,

That's it, I finally found time to reconfigure my AC68U and you're right ... it's much more stable and it offers new possibilities. Thanks again. :)

Another question now about scripts ... if you do not mind.

I want to connect to the RT-AC68U (within my LAN network) from my home box and be able to run a script to put my wifi ON or OFF in order not to be "polluted" by the hyperfrequency waves during my sleep. :mad:

Rather than spending hours looking for it on the Net, would you have a way to help me?

Thank you in advance.
Regards - Jean-Paul

Hi Jean-Paul,
Go to Advanced Settings > Wireless > Professional > Enable Wireless Scheduler.
There you can set the days/times you want wifi switched off.

Warning: I have not been able to get this to stay working for more than a few days, without manually rebooting the router. An issue with both factory, & Merlin firmware.
You may have better luck than me............?

As for doing it by using a script, that’s beyond my knowledge I’m sorry.
If it can be done, I am sure someone on this forum will know how.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!