What's new

My WiFi sucks! Help!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

david6789

New Around Here
First I am brand new here and thank you in advance for you advice/assistance.

I have a 4105 sq ft home.
I have 1GB internet service from Spectrum (Cable internet).

The Spectrum WIFI sucked so I bought Orbi HUB and 3 Satellites. First the Satellites are rarely connected to the hub, sometimes 1 or even 2 are connect but I don't think I have ever seem all 3 connected. I though that perhaps I had them to far from the HUB so I moved them all with in 30 feet and still they don't connect I am pretty frustrated with them!

Should I just get a different Mesh network setup?

Is your house wired with Ethernet?

Do you want a good experience or easy setup?

What kind of construction are the walls?

First I am brand new here and thank you in advance for you advice/assistance.

I have a 4105 sq ft home.
I have 1GB internet service from Spectrum (Cable internet).

The Spectrum WIFI sucked so I bought Orbi HUB and 3 Satellites. First the Satellites are rarely connected to the hub, sometimes 1 or even 2 are connect but I don't think I have ever seem all 3 connected. I though that perhaps I had them to far from the HUB so I moved them all with in 30 feet and still they don't connect I am pretty frustrated with them!

Should I just get a different Mesh network setup?

For your space, try using only two Orbi APs... recommission that network from scratch (firmware, reset, configure), and deploy the two APs spread far apart and not one directly over the other. Observe the WLAN signals with a WiFi analyzer app to confirm the signals are up and stable and to get a relative idea of signal strength at various locations and to discover any competing wireless networks/interference. Only add another AP if required to extend coverage and if the existing network is operating well in its coverage area... but beware having too much Wifi as this will interfere with your own network.

OE

Last edited:
For your space, try using only two Orbi APs... recommission that network from scratch (firmware, reset, configure), and deploy the APs spread far apart and not one directly over the other. Observe the WLAN signals with a WiFi analyzer app to confirm the signals are up and stable and to get a relative idea of signal strength at various locations and to discover any competing wireless networks/interference. Only add another AP if required to extend coverage and if the existing network is operating well in its coverage area... but beware having too much Wifi as this will interfere with your own network.

OE
Thank you for the advice. I am in the process of updating firmware on each satellite and the HUB. They are all on difference versions and I am hoping that is the issue.

Get them all updated to current NG firmware.

I would recommend getting them all in the same room first, to sort if there is a pairing issue between the main unit and the subs - reset them all to factory defaults first.

It's probably non-obvious, but the sub units need to have decent coverage from the main hub, or things aren't going to be great.

You might only need two sattelites - each unit should provide about 1500 sq ft - so you might have "too much", and interference across the units could cause some problems like what you are seeing

Get them all updated to current NG firmware.

I would recommend getting them all in the same room first, to sort if there is a pairing issue between the main unit and the subs - reset them all to factory defaults first.

It's probably non-obvious, but the sub units need to have decent coverage from the main hub, or things aren't going to be great.

You might only need two sattelites - each unit should provide about 1500 sq ft - so you might have "too much", and interference across the units could cause some problems like what you are seeing
ok all updated to latest firmware. What a pain, you have to connect them ethernet to the HUB and download it.

Got them all connected in the same room as the HUB. Now working on spreading them out and testing.

Thanks

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!