What's new

N56u Overheating when transferring large files over a long period.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Willakan

New Around Here
So, I've got an N56u, and I frequently download games and other large files from Steam and the like. I get a prettymuch perfect signal and a 270-300mbps sync speed on the 2.4ghz band. Running latest custom firmware from Russia, if that matters.

The issue comes when a transfer has been running full-tilt for a few hours; when I start another one I notice speeds drop dramatically (normally 2.7-3.5mbps, same as my internet, down to 700kbps). Sure enough, when I check the sync speed in Network and Sharing, it has dropped dramatically and is fluctuating considerably.

The reason I know this is overheating is that I can solve it by squirting compressed air into my router at both ends, which invariably returns everything to normal almost instantly.

Any suggestions, other than buying more compressed air cans? Thanks in advance...

You could try one of those laptop coolers...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!