What's new

Namecheap and let’s encrypt

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Steve Horbachuk

Occasional Visitor
namecheap DDNS takes host name and domain as separate fields.

If I set my hostname to www and domain to example.com DDNS works

The let’s encrypt integration tries to create a cert of “www” which doesn’t work and fails.

When I set host name to www.example.com namecheap reports a success but the IP is a never updated.

Using Merlin 3004.388.6_0

That's a limitation I cannot do anything about. Let's Encrypt library code is closed source, and Namecheap is not supported by the stock firmware, therefore it has no idea how to deal with it.

That's a limitation I cannot do anything about. Let's Encrypt library code is closed source, and Namecheap is not supported by the stock firmware, therefore it has no idea how to deal with it.
Let Encrypt does work if the hostname is an fqdn, but as I said namecheap doesn't like that. Couldn't we do something like this:

if(namecheap) {
if(hostname.EndsWith(domain)) {

//write inadyn config converting www.example.com to just 'www'

}

Use a custom inadyn config file. However your workaround will cause other problems, such as the generated OpenVPN client config files will have an incorrect hostname for connecting.

Use a custom inadyn config file. However your workaround will cause other problems, such as the generated OpenVPN client config files will have an incorrect hostname for connecting.
For those of us who were using Google Domains (which made things easy), and are not as network savvy, is there a registrar that also offers DDNS that is easy to use for those of us who want to set up DDNS and ultimately VPN capability on our Merlin F/W ASUS routers? Cloudflare seemed pretty difficult for me, so I moved to Namecheap as I saw it listed in the F/W, but I cannot find any simple step by step to follow. Any guidance you could offer would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!!!!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!