What's new

NAT loopback only works when NAT acceleration is disabled

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

m33ts4k0z

Regular Contributor
Hello,

I'm on a 250/250Mbps connection and I run some servers through my AC88U router. Some firmware versions ago (Like summer 2019), the NAT loopback was working fine but now, on 384.13, it seems broken. I can no longer connect to my server using a direct WAN IP connection from within the LAN except when I disable the NAT acceleration. Then everything works fine but to my understanding, its recommended to leave that option on Auto since my speed is quite fast.

Any suggestions, workarounds or alternatives?

Thanks

RT AC66U_B1 here, with same firmware version. Today I spent 2 hours to enable NAT hw acceleration (CTF only) cause without it the max wan speed was only 250 Mbps.
With CTF enabled, speed jumps up to 950 Mbps.
It seems I haven't any problems connecting from within my LAN to my http server and transmission torrent running on the router (entware-ng), both using LAN IP address or DDNS hostname.

Inviato dal mio Z2 utilizzando Tapatalk

RT AC66U_B1 here, with same firmware version. Today I spent 2 hours to enable NAT hw acceleration (CTF only) cause without it the max wan speed was only 250 Mbps.
With CTF enabled, speed jumps up to 950 Mbps.
It seems I haven't any problems connecting from within my LAN to my http server and transmission torrent running on the router (entware-ng), both using LAN IP address or DDNS hostname.

Inviato dal mio Z2 utilizzando Tapatalk

Hello,

thanks for the answer. I have no problem connecting with LAN IP or DDNS either. The problem is only with my WAN IP.

I can no longer connect to my server using a direct WAN IP connection from within the LAN except when I disable the NAT acceleration. Then everything works fine but to my understanding, its recommended to leave that option on Auto since my speed is quite fast.

Any suggestions, workarounds or alternatives?

Could it be related to this change?
Code:
384.12 (22-June-2019)

- CHANGED: The router will now use ISP-provided resolvers instead of local dnsmasq when attempting to resolve addresses, for improved reliability. This reproduces how stock firmware behaves. This only affects name resolution done by the router itself, not by the LAN clients. The behaviour can still be changed on the Tools -> Other Settings page.
Try re-enablig the option

Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk

Could it be related to this change?
Code:
384.12 (22-June-2019)

- CHANGED: The router will now use ISP-provided resolvers instead of local dnsmasq when attempting to resolve addresses, for improved reliability. This reproduces how stock firmware behaves. This only affects name resolution done by the router itself, not by the LAN clients. The behaviour can still be changed on the Tools -> Other Settings page.
Try re-enablig the option

Enviado desde mi moto g(8) plus mediante Tapatalk

Unfortunately, this is not related to name resolution since even typing the IP directly doesn't work.