What's new

Native IPv6 - no LAN IP's populating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think that’s the best course of action at this point.

OK great.

For the purposes of testing, I connected the Technicolor back again tonight and lo and behold IPv6 works straight away.

Unfortunately I don’t have another ASUS router (or other brand) to test with to try and pinpoint the exact issue.

I tried cloning the MAC address of that router to my ASUS in case that did anything, but no luck with that either
wouldn't you need to clone the ONT's MAC to the Asus? If your ISP is using the MAC address at all, it seems to me that their end would look for that addy, which the original ISP-provided equipment would've used as well...if that makes sense and I understand it correctly.

Last edited:
wouldn't you need to clone the ONT's MAC to the Asus? If your ISP is using the MAC address at all, it seems to me that their end would look for that addy, which the original ISP-provided equipment would've used as well...if that makes sense.

Maybe. The ONT isn’t ISP specific though.

I would have thought they would be using the router MAC since that is their own supplied equipment and is doing all the connection handling to the ISP etc.

the ISP may be looking for the Gateway (to THEIR network) MAC...
I'm sure you'll let us know if this works

Long overdue update here.

Firstly, thank you to everyone for their help and input - but an extra thanks to @dave14305 for the WRT article with the info about the prefix having to be "released" from a previous router before it can be re-issued to a different router again - this was indeed the issue - the prefix will still assigned to the ISP router that they assigned to me and installed during installation.

But for some reason, the prefix didn't release and was just stuck in limbo, hence why it wouldn't assign any IPv6 addresses.

Giganet manually cleared this down (and learnt something new about their IPv6 setup themselves it seems..!!) and now my router gets assigned LAN IPv6 addresses using Native Mode, and from the correct prefix (the LAN, not the WAN) as it should do, so thank you everyone again!

I'm looking to change my router out soon for an AX model, so hopefully the process will be much more smoother!!

1661864204328.png

I had problems getting native IPV6 to work. I wound up finding a setting in TOOLS/OTHER SETTINGS/ Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver. I selected yes and rebooted. IPV6 then began working.

Many months later, and I've just been fighting IPv6 again. On the supplied Eero - not another router!

I had Giganet (openreach) installed Friday. I noticed after the setup was stable (moving things around etc) that I had no ipv6. Opened a ticket, but it was late friday..

Meanwhile today I did some experiments and
* The Amazon Eero received an IPv6 prefix after a factory reset (so 24-36 hours after initial issue)
* 2 reboots later it lost the ability to get a prefix - despite many factory resets & reboots
* A fritzbox (previously working fine on ipv6 with zen) was ALSO unable to get a prefix

This seems consistent with something being stuck with the allocation - and indeed in the giganet portal I can see my ipv6 allocation, showing as online

No doubt they'll reset on Monday, but I'm unsure how this should work. certainly rebooting my router, and loosing my ipv6 capability does NOT seem like a good setup. I suspect there's a long timeout, maybe 24h

I'll keep an eye on the portal, and if it turns RED I'll try reestablishing the session.

Many months later, and I've just been fighting IPv6 again. On the supplied Eero - not another router!

I had Giganet (openreach) installed Friday. I noticed after the setup was stable (moving things around etc) that I had no ipv6. Opened a ticket, but it was late friday..

Meanwhile today I did some experiments and
* The Amazon Eero received an IPv6 prefix after a factory reset (so 24-36 hours after initial issue)
* 2 reboots later it lost the ability to get a prefix - despite many factory resets & reboots
* A fritzbox (previously working fine on ipv6 with zen) was ALSO unable to get a prefix

This seems consistent with something being stuck with the allocation - and indeed in the giganet portal I can see my ipv6 allocation, showing as online

No doubt they'll reset on Monday, but I'm unsure how this should work. certainly rebooting my router, and loosing my ipv6 capability does NOT seem like a good setup. I suspect there's a long timeout, maybe 24h

I'll keep an eye on the portal, and if it turns RED I'll try reestablishing the session.

You need to ask Giganet to manually release the allocation that’s locked to another router/MAC address.

I've now been exchanging more messages with their team.

They first allocated me a new prefix - that worked once. Once only. After a reboot it again failed
Then they manually freed up the lease - again that worked once. Failed after a reboot.

So currently this is looking extremely fragile. It's essential to handle a reboot - user config change, firmware update, as well as a power-off event (moving device for better coverage, diy, power failure).

they thought it could have been caused by a diff mac address - but I'd never tried another device *until* I'd proven there were issues. I don't think the eero generates macs on the fly, so there's something else wrong in the allocation of the prefix & associated 'lease' ?

I've now contacted eero myself to see if they can tell me anything from their logs.
Giganet also replied saying they're looking at reducing lease times soon -- though it seems there's another underlying issue here. They've also said they'll contact eero (this is an ISP provided router that isn't working, albeit one they've only introduced very recently)
If I don't hear soon, I'm considering asking them to do a release again, and see if my old fritzbox works better. Of course knowing what particular tweaks make it more or less likely to work would be good.

It's sounding perhaps as if they're relying on the prefix being released. Maybe the eero used to, but isn';t now (firmware update) or never has, hence why ipv6 works once only. Perhaps their other model (technicolor) does release.

Maybe the eero is not sending the mac as the dhcp identifier but something else, which isn't fixed. hence why only working once. But other devices do send a stable identifier.

'm now thinking the probem could be that the DUID is not stable across reboots.

The default (type 1) DUID is DUID-LLT - so it's a mac address (link layer) + time. The router would be expected to generate and then save this value to be persistent across reboots/reconnects (not sure about reset)

Alternatively a type 3 is DUID-LL which is a fixed value + mac address - this will effectively be fixed.

What if the eero is using type 1 and failing to persist the generated value. it would then be different each time, meaning that the prefix allocation will fail, as it will likely still be reserved by the previous duid (there may be a timeout, plus router may explicitly release at the end of a session)

Update
* It seems as if the eero is buggy. ISP have now contacted eero to persue
* In the interim I'm using my fritzbox 7530. pretty much usual ipv6 settings (as with zen) with one essential change. Happily survives repeated re-init of the ppp link, reboot etc. That change? Disable rapid commit. (I then have the eero bridged as access point only, for the improved wifi spec/speeds).

Update - ISP reported, eero identified fix, probably out late March.
Of course in the meantime the FritzBox has been working flawlessly as a router, and also has better firewall, monitoring, supports 1500 MTU for pppoe etc… so I may now stick with it (though I do plan to test the eero for completeness!)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!