What's new

Need a networking guru please

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chrisgtl

Regular Contributor
I need help!!

I've just been out and bought a Draytek 130 modem and Asus AC86U router to replace the Sky Q hub.

It's taken about 4 calls to Draytek and a lot of messing to get it working. Finally I have internet and all seems ok apart from the fact I can no longer connect to the Draytek webpage.

The Draytek came out of the box with 192.168.2.1 as it's address. Before getting the internet to work I was able to connect to it everytime. Now the internet is working I am no longer able to connect to it unless I plug my laptop directly into it and assign my laptop with a manual IP of 192.168.2.x/255.255.255.0

My Asus router assigned itself an IP of 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 and everything works fine apart from the fact I am unable to connect to the Draytek.

Why is the draytek on a totally different IP from my Router? Is this how a bridged modem works? I Don't understand........?

I bought the Draytek to see if my line speeds would improve as I've good things about it. I can't see my line stats without unplugging it from the router and manually assigning my laptop a suitable IP.

Have I got the following completely wrong;

Modem = 192.168.0.1/255.255.255.0
Router = 192.168.0.2/255.255.255.0
NAS = 192.168.0.3/255.255.255.0
Server = 192.168.0.4/255.255.255.0

Everything else is assigned by the router DHCP like laptops, tv's, phones, tablets etc.

I don't even know if I have the router setup correctly as I passed out when I finally got internet working. I'm guessing the Draytek is setup correctly as I wouldn't have internet at all if this wasn't right.

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, the modem is on the router's network. What you should do however is set the modem to another network, like 192.168.1.2 and it should work normally, if not, add a route to the router that says 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 gateway router.

Good on you for getting draytek, they are pretty good modems.

Your Asus router should have an outside IP address on the WAN side not a private IP address. Setup your Draytek as a bridged modem. You don't want to run dual routers.

OK - I am about to change the modem back to 192.168.1.2 and router to 192.168.0.1

Not too sure how I do the following though 'add a route to the router that says 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 gateway router'. I will have a look at the router config page and see if I can find where I do that.

The modem should not have a private IP address as it is running in bridge mode so 192.168.1.2 is also wrong. Research bridge mode on the Draytek. I assume you can do it. You don't want to run double NAT.

I am following the guide on Drayteks website. With that in mind I believe mine should already be in bridge mode as that's how I've set it up.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 520
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    198.4 KB · Views: 549
Problem is non of those screenshot look like what I see on my Vigor 130. I think they updated the firmware recently and didn't update any of their guides.

I will post up pics of my Vigor config screens - the bridge mode tickbox is ticked but also greyed out. I don't understand what IP my modem and router should be.......I'm getting conflicting information depending who answers me haha

When a modem is in bridge mode it passes the info over to the router so the router becomes the front of your network which allows the router to have a public IP address.
If you can't do this then you don't need your Asus router or you need another modem which can run in bridge mode.

So the Vigor 130 is no good for my setup? Shame the support for the Draytek products is awful! I've rung them loads today on their premium number and all they do is send me links to guides on their website but non of the guides look like what I see from my Vigor 130 page.

Every time I change a setting in the Vigor the modem wants to reboot so now my sync speed is much slower than the Sky Q hub. I bought the Vigor 130 based on people saying it is simple plug and play - that is NOT the case at all. It's literally taken me all day to get it working to a point where I am on the internet but still can't gain access to the Vigor webpage.

The line stats your looking for are displayed in the UI of selected Draytek routers. I use a 130 with pfsense and I am unable to access it unless I directly plug into it. They are set up for plug and play for most UK providers. IE without the need to go into admin and mess with the settings.

The line stats your looking for are displayed in the UI of selected Draytek routers. I use a 130 with pfsense and I am unable to access it unless I directly plug into it. They are set up for plug and play for most UK providers. IE without the need to go into admin and mess with the settings.

So how do you put them in bridge mode to get a public IP address?

I can see the line stats when I plug my laptop directly into the modem but it's a shame we can'e see them without unplugging things first.

Are you on Sky FTTC by any chance? What firmware are you running? I see a BT one and a generic one.

I can see the line stats when I plug my laptop directly into the modem but it's a shame we can'e see them without unplugging things first.

Are you on Sky FTTC by any chance? What firmware are you running? I see a BT one and a generic one.

I'm on Plusnet FTTC. I am 300 metres from the cabinet and get 74/17 on a 80/20 line.
I have not flashed it with any firmware, I would need to check.

OK - I am about to change the modem back to 192.168.1.2 and router to 192.168.0.1

Not too sure how I do the following though 'add a route to the router that says 192.168.0.0/24 to 192.168.1.0/24 gateway router'. I will have a look at the router config page and see if I can find where I do that.
The modem should not have a private IP address as it is running in bridge mode so 192.168.1.2 is also wrong. Research bridge mode on the Draytek. I assume you can do it. You don't want to run double NAT.
The reason to have a private IP address is so that you can configure it and monitor it. I've done this before with the netgear modem. I suggest just adding the IP to the WAN side but not for WAN. For me i use mikrotik which lets me do all sorts of config, and the route gets added automatically and my PC to modem gets NATed.

Seeing as its draytek, dont they have more than 1 ethernet port? if they do you can configure that to be part of your LAN for monitoring and config.