What's new

Need advice for a nas device...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

imweasel

New Around Here
I want to keep it simple and possibly on the cheap side.

This will be primarily used for an xp laptop. It will store video (a lot of it proprietary video) and a few images.

I would like any suggestions from:

A simple 2 bay NAS enclosure (byod) to hold 2x2TB drives running RAID1 with automated (daily) backup to a 2TB external drive connected via usb. I figure this would be the cheapest and easiest. Price really isn't an issue at this level (I would prefer the best bang for the buck), but hardcore reliability is a must. This will not be for sharing but simply for data integrity and ease of backup.

A more complex mutli-bay NAS enclosure running RAID5 networked to a secondary multi-bay NAS enclosure running RAID5 as well for backup/redundancy. This would be in the $2k-$3k price range. This will not be for sharing but simply for data integrity and ease of backup. Expandability would be great.

Neither set up will be required to keep the data on the NAS forever. It's also important to have this be as simple to set up and maintain as well as ease of recovery.

I have looked at netgear's xraid2 stuff and drobo's beyondraid stuff and I am a little leery of those as far as reliability goes.

I hope this isn't to vague or open ended (even though I know it is). Any questions, please post them!

You cannot just use an external USB2, USB3 or eSATA drive?

I could, but I don't feel like keeping 2 external drives hanging around. I would also like to automate it as much as possible. With automated backups going to an external drive and click and dropping files to the nas makes it as easy as I can make it to use.

This will be a repository for files for up to 1 year or so. After awhile the files will be removed.

The files are simply being put their for safe redundant storage. No one will actually be working on the files stored on the nas.

An external eSATA or USB3 will be far faster and easier than a NAS, since you said you don't need much LAN sharing. Of course, if that PC is on, it can share some folders on the external drive.

You can use Acronis or SecondCopy to automate backups, incremental, and optionally keep the last n versions of selected files.

That's what I've been using for years - copying out important folders automatically, upon change, or n times a day, etc.
Also there's SafeHouse to encrypt personal data easily - one-click.

But yes, learning and administering a NAS can be fun, sorta.

Last edited:
So would just keeping 2 external drives hooked up be the best solution and copy files to both of them? The PC that would be used for this doesn't have esata or usb3.0.

It would be simple, that's for sure.

I suppose I could simply buy a dual bay enclosure, hook it up to the network and mount each drive separately and just not run a raid. I would prefer to use the software that comes with a nas enclosure for this backup process (copy from one drive to another not in a raid configuration). Is this possible? Would this be easier than a raid1?

What kind of enclosure would you recommend for that? I have been looking at the Synology DiskStation DS211j or a QNAP TS-219P+-US.

Would those work well?

Last edited:
So would just keeping 2 external drives hooked up be the best solution and copy files to both of them? The PC that would be used for this doesn't have esata or usb3.0.

It would be simple, that's for sure.

I suppose I could simply buy a dual bay enclosure, hook it up to the network and mount each drive separately and just not run a raid. I would prefer to use the software that comes with a nas enclosure for this backup process (copy from one drive to another not in a raid configuration). Is this possible? Would this be easier than a raid1?
Yes, much.
What kind of enclosure would you recommend for that? I have been looking at the Synology DiskStation DS211j or a QNAP TS-219P+-US.
Those are NAS with RAID, not simple eSATA enclosures. You said you need only 2TB or so? Then just get two $90 USB2 or USB3 drives, each in an enclosure. The Seagate 9SF2A8-500 is nice; I have one; it has automatic spin-down for inactivity.

But get a $200 diskless NAS like the DS211j if you want to fiddle and learn. Your needs suggested you can simply use non-RAID external disks with automated copy software like Acronis and/or SecondCopy.

Anyone recommend a good 2 bay enclosure (non-raid) and a couple of 2tb hard drives? Is it possible to use the qnap and the synology enclosures without the raid and mount each drive separately? And use their back up software that comes with the enclosures? Or does their back up software only work through the external usb (it seems to be that way with the synology)?

Reliability is key and these seem to be the 2 best units out there for this and are not bad 'bang for the buck' buys.

Thanks for all the advice!

Last edited:
Anyone recommend a good 2 bay enclosure (non-raid) and a couple of 2tb hard drives? Is it possible to use the qnap and the synology enclosures without the raid and mount each drive separately?
Geeze, we're going in circles here. If you don't want/need the features of a NAS, such as music/video/data file serving on a LAN for several users, then you can cease looking at NASes. As said above, you can use an external eSATA (or USB) disk drive. Copy 1 of the data is on the internal drive; copy 2 is on the external drive. Unlikely that both will be toast simultaneously. Worst, both can be stolen, so a 3rd drive could be a copy of drive 2 and that 3rd drive is taken off site as a rule. Backup automation can be via Acronis or SecondCopy (these are low cost programs).

Newegg.com has lots of one and two drive eSATA enclosures. If your PC lacks eSATA, go USB2 or USB3.

Go with a NAS only if you need it, want it, have the time to learn. The NASes can run non-RAID but the question is if you need the NAS features or just store files - your first post said just store files.