What's new

Need buying advice on mini-PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Okay, you've got options for smaller size PCs, pick one and do what you need to do.

If this helps: I have 3x HP EliteDesk 800 G2 in use for different tasks and they are very reliable, idle power consumption about 10W, the drive is a standard SATA size, 2x SO-DIMM slots, mini-PCIe slot for Wi-Fi card, Gigabit LAN, multiple USB 2.0/3.0 ports, USB-C port, external power adapter like laptop.
Thanks, that's one of the models I was looking at.

I think I found the sweet spot. I checked out several manufacturers and decided to look at Beelink based on the post above. I looked at all of their series' and most of them were just more than I needed. I found several options around $100 or below but all of them were based on Atom or J-series chipsets. In the end, I was able to find the Beelink Mini-S for $135 so right smack in between their entry level and upper level offerings. It's based on a Celeron N5095 with 8GB of RAM, so it's beefier than the entry level models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B17HLCP1/?tag=snbforums-20

Reactions: Sky
Another option would be to spin up a VM on existing hardware.
Part of the test is using a USB-connected PC in a remote location. So using VM isn't really an option, at least not for that part of the testing

Part of the test is using a USB-connected PC in a remote location. So using VM isn't really an option, at least not for that part of the testing
Well, if the issue is not having Windows then put it in a VM and use an existing PC / MAC with the UPS hooked up to it an bridge the USB port to the VM for notifications.

Setting up a NUC like device in a closet somewhere only hooked up to Ethernet and USB to the UPS is just the final solution.

I think I found the sweet spot. I checked out several manufacturers and decided to look at Beelink based on the post above. I looked at all of their series' and most of them were just more than I needed. I found several options around $100 or below but all of them were based on Atom or J-series chipsets. In the end, I was able to find the Beelink Mini-S for $135 so right smack in between their entry level and upper level offerings. It's based on a Celeron N5095 with 8GB of RAM, so it's beefier than the entry level models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B17HLCP1/?tag=snbforums-20
That's quite a little box there! I can think of several workers in our offices that would do just fine, thank you, with that. Amazing.

GMKtec-NucBox5-Pro-Intel-Celeron-N5105-Mini-PC-8GB-DDR4-128GB-SSD-Windows-11-Pro-Wifi.jpg_Q90.jpg_.webp

nucbox5 windows 11/10 possible linux
N5105
8GB RAM
M.2 2242

Probably not in the ballpark you're after if you're already familiar with Cyberpower software but you can meet the definition of "small managing multiple UPSs" with a raspberry pi and Network UPS Tools.

It runs nicely in a container and supports the Cyberpower devices. Depending on your broader setup, it can talk comfortably to other automation/monitoring software.

The amount of CPU-power you need is really low, hence I still think a cheap cheerful reliable used mini-PC sounds like the best bet for you.
If you were to go down the SBC route though, even a regular Raspberry Pi is going to be overkill! A Pi Nano W (I think my last one cost £12 but that was pre-scalping) is more capable than you'd need, and coming in at less than 1A you can run it off almost any USB port you can find - apart from the unpowered USB port on the UPS itself. There are even cheaper, more power-sipping options out there if you're brave.
*The component cost to manufacturers to do this is less than $2, why they wouldn't confounds me!

i can recommend a Lenovo Tiny m920q. A great little NUC with lots of options and built for eternity.

Probably not in the ballpark you're after if you're already familiar with Cyberpower software but you can meet the definition of "small managing multiple UPSs" with a raspberry pi and Network UPS Tools.

It runs nicely in a container and supports the Cyberpower devices. Depending on your broader setup, it can talk comfortably to other automation/monitoring software.
That's actually an interesting idea. I might play around with it.

Thanks everybody for all the feedback! I've got a lot of food for thought and mini projects to do now.

I have used one of these Gigabyte Brix minis for years , cheap and reliable I run Linux on it , sorry no idea what the price is now . It has run trouble free for 2 years nowmini pc