What's new

Need buying advice on mini-PC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

htismaqe

Very Senior Member
So this isn't a NAS question but rather a purpose-built server question. I need a very, very small footprint PC that preferably runs Windows (although Linux would be a possibility). I have a new UPS in an out-of-the way location. I currently monitor the two UPS' I have through USB connections directly to a PC running the management software. It works great, it's free, and it doesn't require a cloud subscription. The application can also use the attached PC to send alarms/alerts via email.

So basically what I want is this:
  1. A tiny, tiny PC that could be placed in a small cabinet next to an ethernet switch.
  2. The tiny PC can be wired. It does not need wifi.
  3. Storage would be minimal. It's going to run the management app and only the management app.
  4. The tiny PC needs to be able to send emails - seems like a basic request but I have no idea what kind of software comes on one of these tiny PC's.
Any thoughts?

Dimensions aren't super important as long as it's tiny. So I'm thinking something along the lines of 6-8 inches square or about the size of a 4-port ethernet switch. I don't care about processor as long as it performs the task at hand - running the UPS software.

So the question becomes what is the UPS software called, and maybe the brand model of the UPS. You can pick up small second-hand commercial PC on eBay for a steal!

If it's supposed to be Windows see:

I have CyberPower UPS' and I currently use PowerPanel Personal for Mac. Obviously, I could buy another Mac mini but that's overkill and way more expensive than it needs to be. I think I'll check out the Rasp Pi link.

If it's supposed to be Windows see:
Interestingly enough, it says you need a Windows PC to set it up. I actually don't currently have a Windows PC. I'd have to borrow one. Are there any options where the OS is pre-installed or are those not worth the money?

I have CyberPower UPS' and I currently use PowerPanel Personal for Mac.
Linux may be a better choice - Operating Systems: Fedora , Red Hat Enterprise 8 , Red Hat Enterprise 7 , CentOS 7 , openSUSE 15.2 , Debian 10.1 , Debian 9 , Ubuntu 20.04 LTS , Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
All you need is an R.Pi, old mini PC or something Intel Atom x5-Z8350 processor, 2 GB RAM, Storage 32 GB eMMC...

Linux may be a better choice - Operating Systems: Fedora , Red Hat Enterprise 8 , Red Hat Enterprise 7 , CentOS 7 , openSUSE 15.2 , Debian 10.1 , Debian 9 , Ubuntu 20.04 LTS , Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
All you need is an R.Pi, old mini PC or something Intel Atom x5-Z8350 processor, 2 GB RAM, Storage 32 GB eMMC...
Awesome man, thanks!

I think what you opt for is going to depend on how much "fun" you want to have setting everything up. If you just want to setup and walk away an x86 Win box has to be your ideal. If you can find the management software that runs under Linux and possibly on a different CPU, then you'll have much more "fun".
*Does your UPS actually need a dedicated server?
**Anyone else here old enough to recall when we used to pronounce UPS as OOPS!

1. A tiny, tiny PC that could be placed in a small cabinet next to an ethernet switch.
  2. The tiny PC can be wired. It does not need wifi.
  3. Storage would be minimal. It's going to run the management app and only the management app.
  4. The tiny PC needs to be able to send emails - seems like a basic request but I have no idea what kind of software comes on one of these tiny PC's.

Recently posted over there - NUC form factor, but AMD based...

When I need a mini-PC I get one HP Mini, Dell Micro or Lenovo Tiny off eBay for less than Raspberry Pi kit. Example:

1683864562643.png

This one is i3 with HDD, but looks good on pictures and under $100. Power adapter included. Similar with i5 and SSD are around $120-140.

I think what you opt for is going to depend on how much "fun" you want to have setting everything up. If you just want to setup and walk away an x86 Win box has to be your ideal. If you can find the management software that runs under Linux and possibly on a different CPU, then you'll have much more "fun".
*Does your UPS actually need a dedicated server?
**Anyone else here old enough to recall when we used to pronounce UPS as OOPS!
Yeah, I'm not looking to tinker. I just want to set it and forget it.

As for needing a dedicated server - yes, the free solution requires a host connected to the UPS via USB. They do have a cloud version but 1) it's cloud-based and 2) it requires a subscription, which is even more expensive than a 1-time purchase. Furthermore, my want to do this stems from a question somebody asked me about it, so I'm looking to test it on their behalf. So, free is by far the best.

And yes, look at my avatar. I'm old enough to remember when they were called "up's". :D

I wouldn’t worry too much about UPS monitoring, honestly. If it works - it works. If batteries need replacement - it fails. It will tell you when it needs maintenance - lights, beeps. Monitoring or not the end result is the same. You don’t run a data centre, I guess.

I'm not worried about UPS monitoring. I mostly use the software for quick load management views and to estimate costs/kwh. For actual power outages, I use my Macs' internal power management for shutdowns and rely on the audible alerts directly from the UPS. For this effort though, I'm actually doing testing to see how it might work for somebody else. This isn't a production solution, it's just for piddling around with the software.

quick load management views and to estimate costs/kwh

And when you see the load is going up along with estimated cost/KWh what you do? Turn off some equipment? I have 4x UPS units at home and don't bother monitoring anything. They do self-test parodically and start flashing red light when the battery needs replacement. It happens about once in 2-3 years. Server rack mounted UPS units for business purpose are different story. At home - not needed. You'll only increase the load and electricity cost by adding an extra monitoring device plus extra hardware cost plus extra maintenance.

And when you see the load is going up along with estimated cost/KWh what you do? Turn off some equipment? I have 4x UPS units at home and don't bother monitoring anything. They do self-test parodically and start flashing red light when the battery needs replacement. It happens about once in 2-3 years. Server rack mounted UPS units for business purpose are different story. At home - not needed. You'll only increase the load and electricity cost by adding an extra monitoring device plus extra hardware cost plus extra maintenance.
The software is useful for calculating the load of individual devices. To do that with the UPS itself, I have to walk to it, press a series of buttons, and write down all of the info displayed on a tiny LCD screen. With the software, I can power on a device and instantly see at a glance how much power it pulled.

Look, I'm not looking for advice on whether or not to do this. I know everything you've posted and agree with most of it but that wasn't my question.

I am looking to TEST functionality for someone else. Specifically, they have a remote location and want to test notification settings because they're not physically collocated with the UPS. They have a Windows machine, I don't. So I need a cheap, compact Windows machine to do my testing. That's it, that's all I'm asking.

Okay, you've got options for smaller size PCs, pick one and do what you need to do.

If this helps: I have 3x HP EliteDesk 800 G2 in use for different tasks and they are very reliable, idle power consumption about 10W, the drive is a standard SATA size, 2x SO-DIMM slots, mini-PCIe slot for Wi-Fi card, Gigabit LAN, multiple USB 2.0/3.0 ports, USB-C port, external power adapter like laptop.