What's new

Need help - 8 Nest Cameras / 30+ Connected Devices = Slow Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OK, so my money is on the "overloaded router CPU" theory. I'll predict that if you gradually add back wireless clients, performance as measured from a wired client will decrease a little --- until it falls off a cliff at some point that corresponds to not having any spare CPU cycles anymore.

Depending on where that point is relative to the number of clients you wish to run, you might be able to fix this by disabling some of the more CPU-intensive options like QoS. If that answer isn't attractive, I think you should be in the market for an SMB-grade router --- think Cisco if you have money or don't mind buying used equipment, else maybe Omada or Ubiquiti. Asus does not sell anything that is likely to fix your problem; although you might be able to repurpose the RT-AX88U as a plain AP sitting behind a wired router.
Could you recommend a specific router you have in mind? I'm happy to go with Cisco or Ubiquiti/Omada. And then sounds like you would recommend still using the RT-AX88U as another access point?
Is aiprotection on
No it is not.
38 devices should not be a problem for this router. There are people here that run many more clients than that without issue. Granted it is a lot but not unheard of. How much active streaming and whatnot is going on for each of those connected devices at the same time.
The active streaming is going on probably 10 devices (all the cameras). Wife and I both work from home and have to VPN and that takes a lot as well. A lot going on I would say along with all the IoT in the house (TV, thermostats, smart switches, etc.)
how are SSID’s configured? One or two? If one, maybe change that to two and force the cams to 2.4 only and see if it makes a difference. The thermostats as well.
Actually have already done this. 2 SSIDs while cams and thermostats are on 2.4 only.

Could you recommend a specific router you have in mind? I'm happy to go with Cisco or Ubiquiti/Omada.

Hmm, I don't have enough personal experience with any of this stuff to make recommendations. I have some Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X's that I quite like, but I have to concede that they don't have the oomph to do anything interesting at 1Gbps line rate. Perhaps Ubiquiti's newer gear such as the UDM-SE would fit the bill for you. Evan McCann has some great review information about Ubiquiti here and Omada here. Maybe somebody else can offer comparisons of Cisco's gear.

And then sounds like you would recommend still using the RT-AX88U as another access point?

It's probably useful enough as a non-routing AP. You might still find that you need more than one AP, but not till you get past your current pain point.

Hmm, I don't have enough personal experience with any of this stuff to make recommendations. I have some Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X's that I quite like, but I have to concede that they don't have the oomph to do anything interesting at 1Gbps line rate. Perhaps Ubiquiti's newer gear such as the UDM-SE would fit the bill for you. Evan McCann has some great review information about Ubiquiti here and Omada here. Maybe somebody else can offer comparisons of Cisco's gear.

It's probably useful enough as a non-routing AP. You might still find that you need more than one AP, but not till you get past your current pain point.
Thank you for the rec here

Thanks for the response. I am using zero ports on the RT-AX88U. I have never flashed or performed a full reset and have no idea what firmware is running. Unfortunately given where the router sits - I cannot run any wires to it. Mind sharing a bit more on what AiMesh node is? I will take a look at the GT-AX6000.

Zero ports used? Do you have no LAN devices connected at all?

The second statement is more worrying. You need to know what firmware you're on. And you need to update to the latest available today if you're not already there. A full reset is more than likely needed at this point, even if your current firmware isn't excessively old.

Hi I need advice. I have a 1GB internet plan with my ISP. Router is an Asus AX6000 WiFi 6 (RT-AX88U). With my 8 Nest cameras, two Nest thermostats, and many connected devices/phones/ipads/computers - my internet is now incredibly slow. Looking for recommendations on what I can do. 1GB is the maximum speed offered in my zip code. Wondering if I should go to a Mesh system? Would a NetGear Orbi WiFi 6e help? House has three stories, each being the same square footage. Total is ~2,400 square ft (with lots of concrete and steel). Thanks for any recommendations.

Is it 1G over cable? If so what is your upload speed? I suspect probably 50 megs or so?

If all your cameras are streaming, even at low quality, it could be saturating your upload, which will severely impact your download (TCP is two way, downloads need to send acknowledgements in the upload direction, etc). Check the utilization in the router on the upload and see if you are at or near your limit. Start with a baseline test with a wired PC plugged directly into the ISP device to see your full speed, advertised as 50 doesn't mean you actually get 50.

If that isn't the issue, it is likely that it isn't the number of devices or even how much bandwidth those devices are consuming. Many modern devices put out a ton of garbage broadcast, MDNS, multicast, heartbeat, etc traffic. Much of that traffic has to be processed by the router CPU. The more devices you have that do this, the more the compounding effect. One device sends a discovery, the other 30 respond, and the router has to process all of that. Multiply that by 30 devices doing it regularly and you end up with a bogged down CPU.

From what I've seen, Windows PCs generate the least amount of this traffic (though it has gotten worse over time especially win 10 and 11). Android can be a bit worse depending how many android devices you have. Apple devices (PCs, Phones, Tablets) are worse, but still manageable to an extent. There have been several reports of various home hubs misbehaving and sending out way too much discovery traffic. Then the various cheap chinese IOT devices are by far the worst. Basically these companies are taking a camera, light bulb, TV, whatever and slapping a cheap wifi chipset and OS on it as an afterthought.

Sometimes segmenting these devices can help reduce the "snowball effect" some but each scenario is different. Some with many IOT devices will set up two or more routers to spread that load out and create full isolation. One dedicated for IOT stuff, sometimes even with multiple guest networks with isolation, then the other for your "normal" stuff. From a security perspective this makes sense with those IOT devices (many of which have been caught doing stuff they shouldn't be, like Wyze cams talking to Chinese Military servers etc).

If your wired speeds were fine with wireless devices connected then it would just be a matter of looking at wireless settings and tweaking stuff, but the fact that wired is suffering until you disconnect wireless devices tells me it is something overloading the CPU on the router or your upload speed, and not necessarily number of devices or download speed.

If that is the case your options are to try and spread the load out amongst several routers (your main/most powerful plugged into the ISP, then one or two more plugged into that for the IOT devices) or some semi-pro higher powered devices.

You might be able to alleviate it somewhat by tweaking multicast settings on the wifi advanced, but you'll sacrifice performance of the cameras and IOT stuff in exchange for helping your regular stuff, which may or may not be ok.

You can try adding just one wireless device (or one type, like all your cams) at a time and see when your wired performance takes a hit. Maybe there is one particular device that is causing the most issue then you can focus on that one.

30-plus low-bandwidth devices, sure. But those security cams are going to produce a significant number of packets-per-second. I'm thinking it's the aggregate per-packet CPU overhead that is breaking things here.

The PPS rate of 8x streaming video isn't too bad and can be processed in hardware, but if those cameras are constantly doing discovery etc that can be a problem (along with the 22 other devices).

The PPS rate of 8x streaming video isn't too bad and can be processed in hardware, but if those cameras are constantly doing discovery etc that can be a problem (along with the 22 other devices).
Good point. Maybe it's worth firing up wireshark to see what the traffic actually is?

Zero ports used? Do you have no LAN devices connected at all?

The second statement is more worrying. You need to know what firmware you're on. And you need to update to the latest available today if you're not already there. A full reset is more than likely needed at this point, even if your current firmware isn't excessively old.
That's correct. Zero LAN devices. I'll try to update but I'm afraid this won't make a difference. Everything works fine until I have all my devices on.

Is it 1G over cable? If so what is your upload speed? I suspect probably 50 megs or so?

If all your cameras are streaming, even at low quality, it could be saturating your upload, which will severely impact your download (TCP is two way, downloads need to send acknowledgements in the upload direction, etc). Check the utilization in the router on the upload and see if you are at or near your limit. Start with a baseline test with a wired PC plugged directly into the ISP device to see your full speed, advertised as 50 doesn't mean you actually get 50.

If that isn't the issue, it is likely that it isn't the number of devices or even how much bandwidth those devices are consuming. Many modern devices put out a ton of garbage broadcast, MDNS, multicast, heartbeat, etc traffic. Much of that traffic has to be processed by the router CPU. The more devices you have that do this, the more the compounding effect. One device sends a discovery, the other 30 respond, and the router has to process all of that. Multiply that by 30 devices doing it regularly and you end up with a bogged down CPU.

From what I've seen, Windows PCs generate the least amount of this traffic (though it has gotten worse over time especially win 10 and 11). Android can be a bit worse depending how many android devices you have. Apple devices (PCs, Phones, Tablets) are worse, but still manageable to an extent. There have been several reports of various home hubs misbehaving and sending out way too much discovery traffic. Then the various cheap chinese IOT devices are by far the worst. Basically these companies are taking a camera, light bulb, TV, whatever and slapping a cheap wifi chipset and OS on it as an afterthought.

Sometimes segmenting these devices can help reduce the "snowball effect" some but each scenario is different. Some with many IOT devices will set up two or more routers to spread that load out and create full isolation. One dedicated for IOT stuff, sometimes even with multiple guest networks with isolation, then the other for your "normal" stuff. From a security perspective this makes sense with those IOT devices (many of which have been caught doing stuff they shouldn't be, like Wyze cams talking to Chinese Military servers etc).

If your wired speeds were fine with wireless devices connected then it would just be a matter of looking at wireless settings and tweaking stuff, but the fact that wired is suffering until you disconnect wireless devices tells me it is something overloading the CPU on the router or your upload speed, and not necessarily number of devices or download speed.

If that is the case your options are to try and spread the load out amongst several routers (your main/most powerful plugged into the ISP, then one or two more plugged into that for the IOT devices) or some semi-pro higher powered devices.

You might be able to alleviate it somewhat by tweaking multicast settings on the wifi advanced, but you'll sacrifice performance of the cameras and IOT stuff in exchange for helping your regular stuff, which may or may not be ok.

You can try adding just one wireless device (or one type, like all your cams) at a time and see when your wired performance takes a hit. Maybe there is one particular device that is causing the most issue then you can focus on that one.
Thank you this is a very helpful response. I will try your recommendation.

Welcome to the forums @smlplee199.

Are you using all eight ports on the RT-AX88U? What firmware are you running on it? When was the last time you flashed the latest firmware and performed a full reset to factory defaults, without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP? And, without plugging in a USB drive you used for amtm/scripts (if you're on RMerlin firmware)?

You may want to do an electrical reset. But before you do, I suggest you unplug anything you have in Ports 5-8 of your router. Now, unplug the power plug from the router and from the AC wall plug. Wait a few minutes and then power up the network again. After waiting for at least 10 to 15 minutes after the router has booted up, test. Are the speeds any better?

If the above made a difference, I suggest you buy a $30 8 Port switch and plug it into Ports 1-4 of your router. And then, plug in whatever else you need into the switch and Ports 2-4. Do not use Ports 5-8 at all.

If the above didn't make a difference and you haven't performed a full reset in a while, you may want to see if that helps first, before considering the final option.

If none of the above suggestions work (please explore all the links I've provided), you may need a new router to handle your current network. The GT-AX6000 is a very stable and more powerful model than what you have now. You may use your old router as an AiMesh node, or, in Media Bridge mode (to connect as many distant wired capable client devices as you can, to take some load off the wireless side).

Hope this helps.
Could I ask what's the difference between AiMesh node and Media Bridge? Thank you

Welcome to the forums @smlplee199.

Are you using all eight ports on the RT-AX88U? What firmware are you running on it? When was the last time you flashed the latest firmware and performed a full reset to factory defaults, without using a saved backup config file to secure the router and connect to your ISP? And, without plugging in a USB drive you used for amtm/scripts (if you're on RMerlin firmware)?

You may want to do an electrical reset. But before you do, I suggest you unplug anything you have in Ports 5-8 of your router. Now, unplug the power plug from the router and from the AC wall plug. Wait a few minutes and then power up the network again. After waiting for at least 10 to 15 minutes after the router has booted up, test. Are the speeds any better?

If the above made a difference, I suggest you buy a $30 8 Port switch and plug it into Ports 1-4 of your router. And then, plug in whatever else you need into the switch and Ports 2-4. Do not use Ports 5-8 at all.

If the above didn't make a difference and you haven't performed a full reset in a while, you may want to see if that helps first, before considering the final option.

If none of the above suggestions work (please explore all the links I've provided), you may need a new router to handle your current network. The GT-AX6000 is a very stable and more powerful model than what you have now. You may use your old router as an AiMesh node, or, in Media Bridge mode (to connect as many distant wired capable client devices as you can, to take some load off the wireless side).

Hope this helps.
Thanks for your suggestion here. I went ahead with the GT-AX6000 and using my old AX88U as an AiMesh node. It’s working much better now with significantly improved coverage and speeds on 2 of my 3 floors. I’d like to add another node to my last remaining floor. Do you have any suggestions on what product from Asus I should add? Perhaps another AX88U? Thanks very much.

Ideally, if you really need 2 or more routers in your home, I would have a single, identical model, on each floor.

Myself, when I tested the RT-AX86U vs. the RT-AX88U a few years ago now, the RT-AX86U (as the primary router) would have less responsiveness when the RT-AX88U was attached as an AiMesh node. That is the reason I got 2x RT-AX86Us.

When I bought the GT-AX6000 to test (and eventually sold one of my RT-AX86Us), the latency did not take a hit as with the lower-end RT-AX88U, however, the wireless throughput was obviously enhanced (~20% faster vs. the RT-AX86U even when using a wired 2.5GbE backhaul connection).

I suggest another GT-AX6000 for your 3-story home and re-arranging the router locations (see link below) if needed. You may not need the RT-AX88U at all anymore. And if you do (and the latency hit is still observable to you too when adding the older RT-AX88U), then you may want to just use it for your wired-capable devices in Media Bridge mode. This will enhance your overall network by lessening the wireless load on your network and give those wired-capable devices faster speeds than any client device is capable of too.

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Particularly if you have wired backhaul, I would first test with two routers on the same floor at the furthest possible distance apart between them (see my crude diagrams in the link above). I would then test with one router on the bottom floor, and one on the top floor, with not quite as much separation between them (they don't need to be in the corners, but they should be at opposite ends of the house).

Media Bridge Mode

If you have a few or many wired-capable client devices in the same area, the RT-AX88U can be most effectively used here. Otherwise, consider selling it after you have tested it and are satisfied with the performance the 2x GT-AX6000s can offer.

Hope this helps.

Ideally, if you really need 2 or more routers in your home, I would have a single, identical model, on each floor.

Myself, when I tested the RT-AX86U vs. the RT-AX88U a few years ago now, the RT-AX86U (as the primary router) would have less responsiveness when the RT-AX88U was attached as an AiMesh node. That is the reason I got 2x RT-AX86Us.

When I bought the GT-AX6000 to test (and eventually sold one of my RT-AX86Us), the latency did not take a hit as with the lower-end RT-AX88U, however, the wireless throughput was obviously enhanced (~20% faster vs. the RT-AX86U even when using a wired 2.5GbE backhaul connection).

I suggest another GT-AX6000 for your 3-story home and re-arranging the router locations (see link below) if needed. You may not need the RT-AX88U at all anymore. And if you do (and the latency hit is still observable to you too when adding the older RT-AX88U), then you may want to just use it for your wired-capable devices in Media Bridge mode. This will enhance your overall network by lessening the wireless load on your network and give those wired-capable devices faster speeds than any client device is capable of too.

How to Connect an AiMesh Node

AiMesh Ideal Placement

Particularly if you have wired backhaul, I would first test with two routers on the same floor at the furthest possible distance apart between them (see my crude diagrams in the link above). I would then test with one router on the bottom floor, and one on the top floor, with not quite as much separation between them (they don't need to be in the corners, but they should be at opposite ends of the house).

Media Bridge Mode

If you have a few or many wired-capable client devices in the same area, the RT-AX88U can be most effectively used here. Otherwise, consider selling it after you have tested it and are satisfied with the performance the 2x GT-AX6000s can offer.

Hope this helps.
This is INCREDIBLY helpful. Thanks for taking the time to walk me through this. I’ll let you know how it goes with another AX6000.

Cheers

You need to not run mesh and run separate wireless channels so the APs can talk at the same time rather than being on a same radio channel sharing.

That doesn't help if one wants/needs GN1 throughout the property though.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!