What's new

Need help getting ExpressVPN to work on an Asus router.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm sorry if I may seem simple at times, you have to keep in mind that everything VPN is all new to me. I have tried a couple of client based apps on the computer and I found nothing in anything that allows LAN connections to remain the same. When I tried PIA a few years ago, I was running a Plex server then and I could not get it to work. I asked them for help and they had nothing they could offer.
I have never heard of WireGuard, and not finding very much on it that makes it easy to understand for a new user.

If go to settings in the PIA app and then scroll down you will see an option "Block Local Network" make sure that is turned off, it is on by default.

Wireguard is another option in PIA. The Top setting under protocol. It is a different type of protocol then openvpn. It is more efficient and basically much faster. But not as customizeable. So if a network is blocking you when using wireguard you can't really change your protocol settings to bypass, and its arguably less private, but arguably more secure. I don't understand it all fully myself but this is what people say lol.

SO basically the fastest I get with openvpn, even with the app on pc is only 200MBs. With wireguard on I will get very close to my isp speed of 300MBs. I pretty sure it will get very close to even a 1GBps connection. Where the Openvpn will still probably be limited at 200.

ANd I'm sorry i keep getting confused between this and another thread and will stop posting and confusing you. It is my fault. You use expressvpn not pia, but you could see if it has similar options. I think expressvpn has something to similar to wireguard called lightway. And expressvpn to allow local lan has something called network lock you have to change the settings in.

Last edited:
If go to settings in the PIA app and then scroll down you will see an option "Block Local Network" make sure that is turned off, it is on by default.

Wireguard is a different type of protocol then openvpn. It is more efficient and basically much faster. But not as customizeable. So if a network is blocking you when using wireguard you can't really change your protocol settings to bypass, and its arguably less private, but arguably more secure. I don't understand it all fully myself but this is what people say lol.

SO basically the fastest I get with openvpn, even with the app on pc is only 200MBs. With wireguard on I will get very close to my isp speed of 300MBs. I pretty sure it will get very close to even a 1GBps connection. Where the Openvpn will still probably be limited at 200.

I just tried the PIA app and found the little icon you were referring to. Mine says "Allow LAN", and it's in green by default. It does seem to let me brows to other computers on the network, but I'm unable to log into the router while it's active. That itself isn't a big concern since if it does what I want, it will be running on the Plex server, and I never log into the router from there. I still need to test if I can still use remote access that way though.

Yea, I've picked up on Wireguard seems to be a much faster way to go, but I can't find anything about how to actually install it on my router. I did select it as the protocol for the app, but the speeds were pretty much the same as OpenVPN. I know I'm really new to VPN stuff, but it just seems weird to me that 1Gb/s Internet has been around for a few years now, but with OpenVPN, it's pretty much topped out at 200Mb/s.

I just tried the PIA app and found the little icon you were referring to. Mine says "Allow LAN", and it's in green by default. It does seem to let me brows to other computers on the network, but I'm unable to log into the router while it's active. That itself isn't a big concern since if it does what I want, it will be running on the Plex server, and I never log into the router from there. I still need to test if I can still use remote access that way though.

Yea, I've picked up on Wireguard seems to be a much faster way to go, but I can't find anything about how to actually install it on my router. I did select it as the protocol for the app, but the speeds were pretty much the same as OpenVPN. I know I'm really new to VPN stuff, but it just seems weird to me that 1Gb/s Internet has been around for a few years now, but with OpenVPN, it's pretty much topped out at 200Mb/s.

I see about remote access. you might have to allow port forwarding in the pia app and try. Or put in a specific port.

I don't think there is a way to install wireguard in the asus router unfortunately. I have seen on forums somewhere there is an experimental way but I don't anything about it you would have to give a search and see, but it might not be too reliable at this stage.

Okay, I installed PIA remotely on the Plex PC. Selected WireGuard protocol. Ran a speed test and got 521.38Mb/s off of a 1Gb/s service. I was able to view the shared drives as well. I did try running Plex on my TV which is connected through AC WiFi. The Asus RT-AX86U router is a floor directly below, directly underneath where I am, and on a shelf next to the ceiling. So about 7' away at most. Plex on the TV kept buffering out. I hopped on the internet on the TV and ran SpeedTest and only getting about 25Mb/s to my TV. I've noticed a common problem with all wireless devices in my home is that they will sometimes connect to the Asus RT-AC68U, which is set up as an Air Mesh node, so same WiFi. But it's in the basement. So it's really messed up that wireless devices, like my son's computer that has an AX card in it, and about 15' away from the AX86U, and the TV that's only about 7' away from the AX router, keep connecting to the basement one. And this was happening before the Merlin firmware, too, so I don't think that's it.
I set up the wireless cards to be "aggressive" in roaming, which means they should constantly try to find the best signal. There's no option for that on the TVs though. There is also "Roaming Assistant" which I can set to kick devices off of the AX router if the have a bad connection, but it says the AC68U doesn't support that feature. I just tried Plex on the TV in the spare room, which is next to our son's room, so close to the AX router, and it kept timing out, too. This is with the VPN turned on, as well as off, so I don't think that's the issue any more.

Added: Since that's a different problem, I might be closing this thread. It's late and I've had a rough time with my health the past few weeks. I'm on a heart monitor for the next 2. Fun stuff. Thanks again for your help. If I can at least get the VPN software running on the Plex server, and get over 500Mb/s, and the rest run fine. I'll be happy with that.

Last edited:
Okay, I installed PIA remotely on the Plex PC. Selected WireGuard protocol. Ran a speed test and got 521.38Mb/s off of a 1Gb/s service. I was able to view the shared drives as well. I did try running Plex on my TV which is connected through AC WiFi. The Asus RT-AX86U router is a floor directly below, directly underneath where I am, and on a shelf next to the ceiling. So about 7' away at most. Plex on the TV kept buffering out. I hopped on the internet on the TV and ran SpeedTest and only getting about 25Mb/s to my TV. I've noticed a common problem with all wireless devices in my home is that they will sometimes connect to the Asus RT-AC68U, which is set up as an Air Mesh node, so same WiFi. But it's in the basement. So it's really messed up that wireless devices, like my son's computer that has an AX card in it, and about 15' away from the AX86U, and the TV that's only about 7' away from the AX router, keep connecting to the basement one. And this was happening before the Merlin firmware, too, so I don't think that's it.
I set up the wireless cards to be "aggressive" in roaming, which means they should constantly try to find the best signal. There's no option for that on the TVs though. There is also "Roaming Assistant" which I can set to kick devices off of the AX router if the have a bad connection, but it says the AC68U doesn't support that feature. I just tried Plex on the TV in the spare room, which is next to our son's room, so close to the AX router, and it kept timing out, too. This is with the VPN turned on, as well as off, so I don't think that's the issue any more.

Added: Since that's a different problem, I might be closing this thread. It's late and I've had a rough time with my health the past few weeks. I'm on a heart monitor for the next 2. Fun stuff. Thanks again for your help. If I can at least get the VPN software running on the Plex server, and get over 500Mb/s, and the rest run fine. I'll be happy with that.

feel better I know what you're going through. me and my mother have not been well in our house for a while now. I have alot of health issues. Don't think I'd be much help but there is better people on the forums who could probably help you with the wifi roaming issues. can almost guarantee if you make another thread you will get helped.

Last edited:
This is probably not going to help with your situation - but I used Express before, and same issues. eventually, I switched to Astrill, which has an applet for Merlin. It solved all my issues.