What's new

Need help setting up or troubleshoot my AC68u...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

washburn

Occasional Visitor
Good day guys! I need some help regarding my internet connection. If I connect directly to ISP's modem i get around 500 Mb/s wired and wireless but when I connect to my AC68u, I only get around 200 Mb/s. I have disabled QOS and Traffic analyzer. Thank you.

Obviously something is disabling hardware acceleration, which is why you disabled QoS and Traffic analyzer. Unfortunately, AFAIK stock firmware doesn't tell you why it has done this. I've seen reports of this happening with PPPoE connections but it sounds like you're just using a normal cable modem.

Did you completely power off/on the router after making those changes? Have you tried factory resetting the router followed by the bare minimum amount of configuration then testing again?

Did you completely power off/on the router after making those changes? Have you tried factory resetting the router followed by the bare minimum amount of configuration then testing again?
Hi thanks for replying, yes I did power cycle, It's a fiber modem with restricted access and only 1 port to use. On one of local forums they said to just use the AC68u as an AP to remove the double nat but I will lose a lot of features and give no choice but redo the aimesh nodes? Does double nat really halve the internet speed?

You never mentioned anything about AiMesh nodes before but that shouldn't cause your speed issue if you're plugging your computer directly into one of the router's LAN ports (rather than connecting to a node).

Double NAT is something completely different doesn't effect (let alone halve) speeds. I thought your "modem" was just a cable modem but reading your post again it appears to be a combination modem/router with it's own WiFi. Not that it should effect your problem, but are you bridging this modem/router or are you just leaving it in router mode with the WiFi disabled?

Double NAT is something completely different doesn't effect (let alone halve) speeds. I thought your "modem" was just a cable modem but reading your post again it appears to be a combination modem/router with it's own WiFi. Not that it should effect your problem, but are you bridging this modem/router or are you just leaving it in router mode with the WiFi disabled?
I'm sorry I wasn't very clear, what I did was connect the 1st lan port (ports 2, 3 and 4 are disabled from ISP) of the ISPs modem to the WAN port of the AC68u. I cant access the ISPs modem. That's why I just thought to connect it to the WAN port of the AC68u as the aimesh router.

Why do you talk about AiMesh? That is a typical Asus technique which only works with selected Asus routers.
How is the setup of the RT-AC68U in the Advanced Settings > Administration > Operation Mode -Tab?
As starter I suggest the default, which is "Wireless router".
Leave most of the RT-AC68U settings default, only set the Router Login Name and Password and Wireless SSID's and pass phrases.
Then connect the RT-AC68U with the WAN port to LAN port 1 of the ISP modem.
Connect a laptop to LAN port 1 of the RT-AC68U and do a speed test.

Leave most of the RT-AC68U settings default, only set the Router Login Name and Password and Wireless SSID's and pass phrases.
Then connect the RT-AC68U with the WAN port to LAN port 1 of the ISP modem.
Connect a laptop to LAN port 1 of the RT-AC68U and do a speed test.
This is how my setup is right now, if I connect to the ISPs modem directly via lan or wifi I get around 500 Mb/s DL. And if I connect to AC68u I get around 230 Mb/s DL.

What is the WAN Connection Type set to on the Asus?

I'm still confused by your modem/router. Why is the WiFi still enabled but your ISP has disabled LAN ports 2, 3 and 4? Who is your ISP and what is the model of the modem/router?

What is the WAN Connection Type set to on the Asus?

I'm still confused by your modem/router. Why is the WiFi still enabled but your ISP has disabled LAN ports 2, 3 and 4? Who is your ISP and what is the model of the modem/router?
Sir thank you for your time! It's a PLDT Fiberhome PON ONU. Port 2 and 3 is for value added services and port 4 I think the reserve for IPTV. Someone from my local forums said to disable QOS and enable CTF/NAT acceleration and it worked. Thanks again!
My Speedtest Result

Then your RT-AC68U was NOT set to default values!
By default QoS is disabled and by default NAT accelaration is set to Auto (and will likely Enable itself).
Thanks for the confusion.

Then your RT-AC68U was NOT set to default values!
By default QoS is disabled and by default NAT accelaration is set to Auto (and will likely Enable itself).
Thanks for the confusion.
I'm sorry sir but I've never touched that setting before. I just had my fiber plan yesterday and got confused why it halved my speed by just connecting the asus router. Apologies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!