What's new

Need help sorting out 40+ IoT devices over my WiFi.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pauluk

Occasional Visitor
Hi all

have an asus router (ax) and aimesh x 2 setup on a 5 bed house. And about 40+ IOT devices,
eg cameras, sockets,switches, hubs, amazon echo, HomePod , nas and home assistant . Some wired via 3 switches around the house but also lots of wireless devices.

currently have devices all over the place on a main 2.4ghz WiFi and a guest network. But I recently was given a Fritz router by my isp and am thinking of adding that as my Iot router. I’ve started adding devices to it by changing the ssid of the Fritz router and disable the asus guest said. but as this is going to be a slow process (reconnecting Iot devices from main WiFi ssid ) I want to check first if this is the best way forward.

I have no knowledge of vpn and merlin firmware but wondering if I should go that route with the asus and forget the Fritz router, partly because the Fritz doesnt have great coverage over the whole house.

sorry bit of a noob question but have kind of built up lots of tech over the years and it’s all becoming a bit of a mess with things disconnecting or unavailable and think it’s just become over saturated.

thanks in advance.

How is your existing coverage ? any real weak spots ? Any areas oversaturated ? Have you done a wireless survey ?
If not, then why mess with it ? Adding another wireless radio(s) will just cause issues with the existing 2.4 GHz setup unless you plan to turn off that band in the ASUS.

How is your existing coverage ? any real weak spots ? Any areas oversaturated ? Have you done a wireless survey ?
If not, then why mess with it ? Adding another wireless radio(s) will just cause issues with the existing 2.4 GHz setup unless you plan to turn off that band in the ASUS.
Coverage with the mesh is all good. Just I was having issues with devices that seem to work when they feel like it.
I realised that I did have two guest ssid running and that seemed to cause issues with some devices communicating with others. So I was just thinking of moving everything away onto one ssid apart from phones, computers, NAS,etc.

part of the issue is as I’ve expanded the amount of devices and router/mesh aswell as the house area it’s sort of grown but in a disorderly manner. So some devices are on one ssid and some on another and I just haven’t been proactive in resetting them all to use a single connection.
Just wanted to try and tidy up and make efficient.
Thanks

My current Setup:
Fritzbox over the LAN Port1 with Cabel connected to the WAN Port on Main Asus AX88U (WLAN enabled on Main Asus AX88U and all Traffic over VPN)
|
-> First AiMesh Node
|
-> Second AiMesh Node

Dont know if this helps you but for me its very stable and has a very good coverage for all my devices (Cabel/WLAN), as long as you just need it for the Internet and dont have any Pay-TV from your ISP wich i didnt tested over this Config.
Otherwise you maybe just add the 2-3 other Asus to the Fritzbox via Mesh/Node and test the connection ?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!