What's new

Need Help to Choose a Mesh System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In a difficult Wi-Fi environment you need multiple 2x2 units. Paying extra for 4x4 won't give you any performance or user experience advantages. The equipment choice is somewhat limited in your country, but I would even go with wall plate APs on low power. One per room on 20mW for example.

This style is getting popular lately.

In a difficult Wi-Fi environment you need multiple 2x2 units. Paying extra for 4x4 won't give you any performance or user experience advantages. The equipment choice is somewhat limited in your country, but I would even go with wall plate APs on low power. One per room on 20mW for example.

It's nice, as I don't owner of this house, I don't want to start make any drill on the walls, prefer to put it on cabinet for example.

USA and Israel is a really different prices :)

I see cisco Meraki MR45 second hand for 54 USD (I don't know if still available)
But after little reading, it's need a license to use it.

Regards.
Meraki routers are more for middle business size with multiple sites which Meraki's do well. I don't think Cisco makes a small enough router for home use. I tried to buy a Cisco baby Firepower for home but Cisco would not sell me support as I was not a business. And support is what you need to get new firmware. Cisco calls it TAC support which is what you need for the Firepower firewalls as it is enterprise level. All the Cisco small business networking gear does not require a license like my Cisco switch and my Cisco APs. You get firmware updates for the life of the Cisco small business network products.

I am running Pfsense on a low wattage Dell PC using Cisco layer 3 switch and 3 Cisco CBW 150ax wireless APs.
I have a larger home and it works well.

Meraki routers are more for middle business size with multiple sites which Meraki's do well. I don't think Cisco makes a small enough router for home use. I tried to buy a Cisco baby Firepower for home but Cisco would not sell me support as I was not a business. And support is what you need to get new firmware. Cisco calls it TAC support which is what you need for the Firepower firewalls as it is enterprise level. All the Cisco small business networking gear does not require a license like my Cisco switch and my Cisco APs.

I am running Pfsense on a low wattage Dell PC using Cisco layer 3 switch and 3 Cisco CBW 150ax wireless APs.
I have a larger home and it works well.

How much WIFI / connect with ethernet cable speed you get with these APs?
Which Router I can use to connect to PPPOE?

I don't owner of this house

In this case I wouldn't invest in anything better than the home routers you already have. Just ask the wife to accept the ugly. The house is temporary, the AIO routers are disposable. If she becomes aggressive - use the "mammad" room.

In this case I wouldn't invest in anything better than the home routers you already have. Just ask the wife to accept the ugly. The house is temporary, the AIO routers are disposable. If she becomes aggressive - use the "mammad" room.

LOL! 😂😂😂

I can install some APs, but prefer not in wall like the video that you sent.
In the walls there already a network cable so I want to use it.

@Tech9
@coxhaus

So according to Mccann Tech article,

I saw the U6 lite/U6 LR don't support Wifi6 on 2.4Ghz, what do you think?
What do you think about Aruba Instant On AP22? (Support Wifi6 on 2.4 and 5, 2x2 MIMO)

If we compare U6 LR and AP22,
U6 LR
Max. TX power
2.4 GHz - 26 dBm
5 GHz - 26 dBm

MIMO
2.4 GHz - 4 x 4
5 GHz - 4 x 4

Throughput rate
2.4 GHz - 600 Mbps
5 GHz - 2400 Mbps

Antenna gain
2.4 GHz - 4 dBi
5 GHz - 5.5 dBi

Radios
2.4 GHz - 802.11ac (Wi-Fi 5)
5 GHz - 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)

AP22
Max. TX power
2.4 GHz - 20 dBm
5 GHz - 21 dBm

MIMO
2.4 GHz - 2 x 2
5 GHz - 2 x 2

Throughput rate
2.4 GHz - 574 Mbps
5 GHz - 1200 Mbps

Antenna gain
2.4 GHz - 4.9 dBi
5 GHz - 5.7 dBi

Radios
2.4 GHz - 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)
5 GHz - 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6)

I haven't seen any type of budget discussed here (maybe I missed it?).

Are we talking towards $1K or more towards $10K here?

Currently, for a wired backhaul between all routers, the bang for the buck would be 3x, or 4x RT-AX88U Pro's.

I haven't seen any type of budget discussed here (maybe I missed it?).

Are we talking towards $1K or more towards $10K here?

Currently, for a wired backhaul between all routers, the bang for the buck would be 3x, or 4x RT-AX88U Pro's.

You didn't missed it,
I really don't know about the budget, because here in Israel the prices are different from US, also I can buy second hand equipment to make it cheaper.

About the RT-AX88U, currently I looking for solution without antennas. (and prefer white color)

For color choices and no (visible) antennae (or routers), consider using creative 'art' to hide/camouflage the hardware.

(Fake) plants, paper posters, and other RF-friendly materials can effectively make the hardware disappear while enhancing the interior decor.

You have more options than just what looks 'pretty' but can end up costing an arm and a leg in the long run (you're effectively locked into the higher-end/business class systems at that point).

For color choices and no (visible) antennae (or routers), consider using creative 'art' to hide/camouflage the hardware.

(Fake) plants, paper posters, and other RF-friendly materials can effectively make the hardware disappear while enhancing the interior decor.

You have more options than just what looks 'pretty' but can end up costing an arm and a leg in the long run (you're effectively locked into the higher-end/business class systems at that point).

If I put the router inside sideboard (made from wood) like this,

With closed door, it's ok?

What about eepro Pro 6E mesh system?

No, just the heat generated would be an issue, I believe. The RF propagation would be undesirably attenuated.

What has worked for my customers is adding (for symmetry) two (open) shelves on each of the ends of the main cabinet, with one side housing the router. The shelves are 'closed' on the side/front with light fabric, a fine print, or similar ideas. No router showing, lots of ventilation and you can show off your (or your wife's) artistic side.

Hardware must first be functional, performant, and offer value for the $$$ it commands. How it blends into a room is secondary (and 'easily' fixable).

The Eero hardly offers that, IMO. And it's over a year old now too. Not to mention it requires an 'app' to use it (which means the manufacturer is in control of your hardware, not you). Highly not recommended.

No, just the heat generated would be an issue, I believe. The RF propagation would be undesirably attenuated.

What has worked for my customers is adding (for symmetry) two (open) shelves on each of the ends of the main cabinet, with one side housing the router. The shelves are 'closed' on the side/front with light fabric, a fine print, or similar ideas. No router showing, lots of ventilation and you can show off your (or your wife's) artistic side.

Hardware must first be functional, performant, and offer value for the $$$ it commands. How it blends into a room is secondary (and 'easily' fixable).

The Eero hardly offers that, IMO. And it's over a year old now too. Not to mention it requires an 'app' to use it (which means the manufacturer is in control of your hardware, not you). Highly not recommended.

The easiest solution I can think of, is the TP Link Deco x60 AX5400, it's something like small, white, without antennas.
But from reading in the internet I saw that they lack of options like the ASUS one.
I wanted the ASUS XD6, but it's out of stock here.
XD4/XD5 from what I read, is also lack of features from the ASUS system.
XT9 here in Israel is sell with high price - 635 USD
XT8 is sell in 433 USD (I don't know which version they sell)

Easy is never necessarily the best or even adequate.

I would not consider any of the models you listed. They fail at the first criterion for me (functionality).

Easy is never necessarily the best or even adequate.

I would not consider any of the models you listed. They fail at the first criterion for me (functionality).

Currently I have Asus GT-AX6000 and Asus TUF AX5400, they connect with wired backhaul.
The GT-AX6000 is too big, what's the recommends to replace it?

The AX5400 can be in the mamad room, I don't care there.

I wouldn't replace the GT-AX6000. Build a bigger shelf. :)

If you want a current (i.e. 'newer') router than the older GT-AX6000 model, the RT-AX88U Pro is what I would be looking at today.

I haven't (and won't) use the TUF routers at all.

I wouldn't replace the GT-AX6000. Build a bigger shelf. :)

If you want a current (i.e. 'newer') router than the older GT-AX6000 model, the RT-AX88U Pro is what I would be looking at today.

I haven't (and won't) use the TUF routers at all.

Bigger shelf ah? 😂 😂

I don't need the 8 ports of LAN, AX88U Pro have small brother?

Why you don't use the TUF?

The RT-AX88U Pro doesn't have 8 Ports (that is why I recommend it).

TUF isn't supported by RMerlin, for starters. And they are usually underpowered (CPU), underspecc'd (RAM, etc.), and generally don't have the highest quality RF designs and latest SDKs.

WiFi isn't a mature medium by a long shot. It is evolving on an almost daily basis. Not only/because of, the router side, but also on the client side (and the ever-evolving regulations).

The TUF series is not on that list of hardware that is kept fully updated and optimized to those changing conditions (from my understanding).

The RT-AX88U Pro doesn't have 8 Ports (that is why I recommend it).

TUF isn't supported by RMerlin, for starters. And they are usually underpowered (CPU), underspecc'd (RAM, etc.), and generally don't have the highest quality RF designs and latest SDKs.

WiFi isn't a mature medium by a long shot. It is evolving on an almost daily basis. Not only/because of, the router side, but also on the client side (and the ever-evolving regulations).

The TUF series is not on that list of hardware that is kept fully updated and optimized to those changing conditions (from my understanding).

You right, the non Pro version is with 8 LAN.
But from what I see RT-AX88U Pro is out of stock here in Israel, many of ASUS products are out of stock.

What do you say about the RT-AX86U Pro? (I think you have the non Pro version based on your signature)

The older RT-AX86U (non-pro) was an excellent purchase three years ago.

Today, that model, along with the hardware-crippled RT-AX86U Pro is not recommended anymore. While the latter will get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (which the non-pro model isn't getting, afaik), it only has a single 2.5GbE port that can be used for either WAN or LAN, hence 'hardware-crippled'.

While the original RT-AX86U also had a single 2.5GbE port, it was much less needed three years ago. Today, or in the foreseeable future, at least 2x 2.5GbE ports or higher are required or at least, desirable (whether you will benefit from it directly or it will make the router more valuable when you're ready to sell it).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!