What's new

Need Help to Choose a Mesh System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The older RT-AX86U (non-pro) was an excellent purchase three years ago.

Today, that model, along with the hardware-crippled RT-AX86U Pro is not recommended anymore. While the latter will get 3.0.0.6.xxx level firmware (which the non-pro model isn't getting, afaik), it only has a single 2.5GbE port that can be used for either WAN or LAN, hence 'hardware-crippled'.

While the original RT-AX86U also had a single 2.5GbE port, it was much less needed three years ago. Today, or in the foreseeable future, at least 2x 2.5GbE ports or higher are required or at least, desirable (whether you will benefit from it directly or it will make the router more valuable when you're ready to sell it).

So only RT-AX88U Pro & GT-AX6000 have dual 2.5GbE port.

Yes.

@Tech9 is out of this conversation. You continue looking at things you don't really need in a rented property. In case you want to spend years there - I told you already what is needed for good Wi-Fi. You still insist on 4x4, AX5400, performance, etc. and read reviews. Your money, your decisions. Good luck.

Yes, and you're the last word on what people need and want.

@Tech9 is out of this conversation. You continue looking at things you don't really need in a rented property. In case you want to spend years there - I told you already what is needed for good Wi-Fi. You still insist on 4x4, AX5400, performance, etc. and read reviews. Your money, your decisions. Good luck.

Hi,
First, Thanks for your help!
Second, I wish I can spend years here, but you know we're humans, and there is owner of this property so I can't decide alone. I prefer not to change the walls and make big holes.
Third, Like everyone that have budget for buy things, I also have some budget (again, the prices here in Israel are different from other places but it's ok) and I always prefer to buy the best product with my budged then yes I try to looking for best performance I can get for my money.

Last edited:
I try to looking for best performance I can get for my money

You won't get any better performance. Your clients are 2-stream and the use of 160MHz wide channel is a big question in your region. Regardless of what marketing numbers equipment you get your AC clients will give you up to about 500Mbps throughput (866Mbps link rate) and AX clients up to about 800Mbps (1200Mbps link rate). It will be exactly the same with AX1800 and AX5400 APs or routers. In your place you need APs with Tx power control. Controller driven APs have a chance to give you better roaming. Asus home routers with AiMesh don't have it. Most home "mesh" systems don't have it. I'm trying to save you money. The next house you move in will be very similar. I own properties in Europe and North America and Wi-Fi planning is different due to different environment and regulations conditions. The other people you communicate with in this thread are in North America. One will offer you Cisco only, the other Asus only. Both are locked in my mammad room for offering the same products to everyone regardless of needs or conditions. Choose wisely.

I haven't seen any type of budget discussed here (maybe I missed it?).

Are we talking towards $1K or more towards $10K here?

Currently, for a wired backhaul between all routers, the bang for the buck would be 3x, or 4x RT-AX88U Pro's.
Using multiple routers is not a good idea for a good network and it costs more. You are much better off using 1 router and multiple APs.

Using multiple routers is an afterthought in that I have an extra router to use. It does not make for a good network design.

And I feel that way about using APs, as it is a waste of funds and flexibility.

Of course, the network is a main router with nodes. But I want those nodes to be equal to the main router, to be able to give me the most flexibility in the future. Whatever that future may be (maybe my needs change, more than likely, I can re-sell the router for much more than an old AP would be worth).

It may not make for a good network design today, but I've seen many examples where the needs/network/workload/use case changed and it allowed for a network re-design without spending for new routers.

You won't get any better performance. Your clients are 2-stream and the use of 160MHz wide channel is a big question in your region. Regardless of what marketing numbers equipment you get your AC clients will give you up to about 500Mbps throughput (866Mbps link rate) and AX clients up to about 800Mbps (1200Mbps link rate). It will be exactly the same with AX1800 and AX5400 APs or routers. In your place you need APs with Tx power control. Controller driven APs have a chance to give you better roaming. Asus home routers with AiMesh don't have it. Most home "mesh" systems don't have it. I'm trying to save you money. The next house you move in will be very similar. I own properties in Europe and North America and Wi-Fi planning is different due to different environment and regulations conditions. The other people you communicate with in this thread are in North America. One will offer you Cisco only, the other Asus only. Both are locked in my mammad room for offering the same products to everyone regardless of needs or conditions. Choose wisely.

Like everyone I looking to get the best results in the speedtest, while in "real life" I don't really need this speed I know that, but it's something strong then me.
I assume that 1800Mbps and 5400Mbps will do the same work, it's just a marketing terms.

In few replies ago I asked you which equipment to buy, if we go with Unifi for example,
Based on my home map,
What I need? APs? Router? Controller?
Again, prefer something that I don't need to change or drill big holes in the walls.

160MHz wide channel is a big question in your region
From what I know I can use this 160MHz channel here.

In your place you need APs with Tx power control
What you mean by this sentence?

In the end of the day, everyone can write what he want, I own the money and I will do what seems good for me.

Regards.

Last edited:
And I feel that way about using APs, as it is a waste of funds and flexibility.

Of course, the network is a main router with nodes. But I want those nodes to be equal to the main router, to be able to give me the most flexibility in the future. Whatever that future may be (maybe my needs change, more than likely, I can re-sell the router for much more than an old AP would be worth).

It may not make for a good network design today, but I've seen many examples where the needs/network/workload/use case changed and it allowed for a network re-design without spending for new routers.
There should only be 1 router as L3 switches are faster than routers so any changes are not an issue where more routers are needed. Don't buy multiple routers. It is a big waste.

To be honest, I want to use/try an L3 switch in the new year!

Because of you! :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!