What's new

Need Help to Choose a Mesh System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ChaoscripT

Regular Contributor
Hi,
I want to create some strong WIFI network (MESH Network) on my home, it's 5 rooms based, 1 of the rooms is "mamad" room, build in 1 level (not floors), with concrete and blocks, 1650 square feet (150 square meters).
All the routers will be connect by ethernet and not by wifi between them.

I thought about ASUS XT8 to make this work, what do you think?
It's be good by Ethernet connect, because it's tri-band router, also if it's connect by ethernet, users can connect to 5GHZ-2 (4x4 MIMO)?
I saw some forum posts about the firmware problems, still have it? what about Merlin?

I will use Smart Connect feature to get 1 SSID for both 2.4/5.

If ASUS XD6 not be out of stock here in Israel, I think I will take it, but I don't know when it will come back to stock.

I open to hear about other companies too, not just ASUS.

Regards.

Last edited:
My previous post got lost in moving/renaming the thread. In short:

- due to geopolitical situation don't rely on DFS channels in Israel, tri-band router may be useless
- XT8 is about 4-years old model with multiple reported connectivity issues here on SNB Forums
- new XT8 sets are perhaps V2 hardware revision - no GNUton fork (Asuswrt-Merlin) support yet
- I would explore other locally available options including business class PoE powered access points

My previous post got lost in moving/renaming the thread. In short:

- due to geopolitical situation don't rely on DFS channels in Israel, tri-band router may be useless
- XT8 is about 4-years old model with multiple reported connectivity issues here on SNB Forums
- new XT8 sets are perhaps V2 hardware revision - no GNUton fork (Asuswrt-Merlin) support yet

Thanks for reply,
I don't know which version of XT8 sell here in Israel, just after I buy I will know it.
About the tri-band, I don't really need it, as I said if the XD6 will be in stock I prefer it, because all the routers/APs will connect by ethernet cable.

- I would explore other locally available options including business class PoE powered access points

I happy to hear about some other solutions.

Regards.

as I said if the XD6 will be in stock I prefer it

I personally would never buy any of ZenWiFi products. Overpriced mostly for the looks.

I happy to hear about some other solutions.

I don't know what's available in your region and on what price, but lower cost business gear from TP-Link Omada, Ubiquiti UniFi, Zyxel True WiFi series and even Cisco CBW150 entry-level products offer good price/performance for home use with better reliability and expandability. You already have wires and your options are not limited to home "mesh" products. Even if the initial investment is higher - may be worth it.

I personally would never buy any of ZenWiFi products. Overpriced mostly for the looks.

I don't know what's available in your region and on what price, but lower cost business gear from TP-Link Omada, Ubiquiti UniFi, Zyxel True WiFi series and even Cisco CBW150 entry-level products offer good price/performance for home use with better reliability and expandability. You already have wires and your options are not limited to home "mesh" products. Even if the initial investment is higher - may be worth it.

If I make some mix between the companies, it will be good?
I will explain,
For example this setup,
- Router - TP Link ER605 V2
- Living Room & Bedroom - Unifi U6 Proffesional
- Mamad - Unifi U6 Lite (or something cheaper)
- All of them sure will be connect by PoE to some switch (TP link or D-Link).
- I forget something?

If I put the access points on shelf (for example) when the led light is on the up side (to the roof), it's ok? it will broadcast ok?

What I must have? controller to control all the the APs? and for seamless roaming?

I saw the Cisco CBW150, it's just 2x2 MIMO (It's not low?)

Wi-Fi needs planning. I know very little about your place and can't predict how many APs you may need. Stick to single brand products for better compatibility and expandability. For 2x APs for example you don't necessarily need network controller. Some products have it built-in, some have separate devices or software. Two-stream APs (2x2 MIMO) are good enough - most Wi-Fi clients are 2-stream anyway. In a brick/concrete structure you need more even coverage, not range. Business class products need a bit more knowledge to setup. Don't be in a hurry and research the options available.

Start from your requirements first. Keep in mind business products have different set of features. They may offer VLANs for network segmentation and better roaming, but most don't have Parental Control tools. You may be more comfortable with "easy button" solutions - I don't know. Qualcomm based Google Wi-Fi Nest, Amazon eero, some TP-Link Deco (X20/X50) are good quality products designed for home use and with home features first by design. I don't even know what ISP speeds and performance you expect. No one can do the work better than you. All you can get here is equipment ideas.

Reactions: ika
Wi-Fi needs planning. I know very little about your place and can't predict how many APs you may need.

Let's start from the beginning,
5 rooms based, 1 of the rooms is "mamad" room, build in 1 level (not floors), with concrete and blocks, 1650 square feet (150 square meters)
ISP Speed - 1000Mbps Downlink/100Mbps Uplink
To connect to ISP, I need PPPOE in the router.
Map of the home - https://prnt.sc/FQV8uwa_97bw (Thanks roborock and sorry for the Hebrew)
- Router 1/AP - Living Room
- Router 2/AP - Bedroom
- Router 3/AP - "Mamad" Room

Stick to single brand products for better compatibility and expandability.
OK, I just don't know Unifi's router so I choose TP Link.

Two-stream APs (2x2 MIMO) are good enough - most Wi-Fi clients are 2-stream anyway.
If I can take in my budget 4x4 MIMO, it's not prefer?

Currently my PC is connect to ASUS router direct with Ethernet cable, I get in speedtest.net 930/100.
I use Smart Connect rule which I have 1 SSID for both 2.4/5.
I prefer in new equipment to separate guest networks and my own.

About Prices here in Israel,
Unifi
- Ubiquiti U6-Enterprise - 454 USD
- Ubiquiti U6-LR Long-Range - 263 USD
- Ubiquiti U6-Pro - 239 USD
- Ubiquiti U6+ - 156 USD
- UniFi U6-Lite - 159 USD
- Ubiquiti UDR Dream Router WIfi6 - 390 USD (This is good router?)

TP Link
- TP Link ER605 V2 - 79 USD (from Amazon.com)
- TP Link OC200 - 123 USD
- TP-Link EAP660HD - 320 USD

What is a 'mamad' room?

Just curious, but is this by design (to block WiFi)? Or is there another purpose for it?

Edit: Okay, 'security' room.

Currently my PC is connect to ASUS router

What model Asus router you currently have?

The prices in your country are high. I would perhaps get the needed number of cheaper EAP610/620 AX1800-class APs and run a software controller temporary. If all good - hardware controller OC200, but the system needs to be reconfigured. Switch with PoE - account for eventual PoE cameras, not only the APs. The switch doesn't need to be Omada integrated. Use your Asus router temporary or for a longer period with Wi-Fi disabled as wired router. This is what some folks around do - Asus router + something else for Wi-Fi. I have no idea what will work better in your place. Do you have return options?

ER605 is the cheapest Omada integrated router. It will do Gigabit, it will do VLANs, it will do some 20-30Mbps VPN... but this is about it. If you have basic requirements only it may work well, but don't expect some gaming or parental control options. It's an entry-level business class device.

What model Asus router you currently have?
Asus GT-AX6000 and Asus TUF AX5400.
Yes I know, maybe they good, but my wife want something more aesthetic (without external antennas).

The prices in your country are high.
Yes Yes I know it!
I also looking for second hand equipment here in my country.

EAP610/620
EAP610 - Can't find
EAP620 - 213USD

Do you have return options?
Not really.

ER605 is the cheapest Omada integrated router. It will do Gigabit, it will do VLANs, it will do some 20-30Mbps VPN... but this is about it. If you have basic requirements only it may work well, but don't expect some gaming or parental control options. It's an entry-level business class device.
If I already invested I prefer for something for long run.
In general, I don't use VPN, VLANs, currently with the ASUS I just use the smart control (1 SSID for dual band), and I want to separate between home SSID and guests SSID.

If we go with Unifi, which equipment you recommends for me?
If we go with Tp Link, which equipment you recommends for me?

Regards.

Last edited:
There is a new product from Ubiquiti. Perhaps you want to wait a bit?

For $150/unit it has everything in one package. May be a good option for you.

My only concern is the fact it's a new product. Otherwise it looks perfect for home application.

. It's an entry-level business class device.
Not what I call business class. Their programing code is too weak. I would not buy anything TP-Link.
Cisco small business network devices is where I would start.

There is a new product from Ubiquiti. Perhaps you want to wait a bit?

For $150/unit it has everything in one package. May be a good option for you.

My only concern is the fact it's a new product. Otherwise it looks perfect for home application.
It's router with WIFI?
It's $150 maybe at Amazon, here in Israel it will costs more.

What about the Ubiquiti UDR Dream Router?
It's can give me PPPOE connection to ISP and WIFI, so I "save" one AP no?

@coxhaus
Cisco small business network devices is where I would start.

Cisco CBW150 costs 158 USD

Regards.

Last Cisco 150ax wireless AP I bought was $102 from a certified Cisco partner in the USA.
USA and Israel is a really different prices :)

I see cisco Meraki MR45 second hand for 54 USD (I don't know if still available)
But after little reading, it's need a license to use it.

Regards.

Last edited:
It's router with WIFI?

It's a router with built-in Wi-Fi, wired/wireless mesh options, controller... all-in-one in 10x10x3cm size device. Still not available here in Canada. I'm planning to get one and see what it is. If it runs the familiar software and has no issues - it's a winner. Saves a lot from switches with PoE and controller. UDR is similar, but larger unit and more expensive. If you get additional U6 APs you still need PoE switch or PoE injectors further increasing the cost. The end result in user experience perhaps will be the same.

It's a router with built-in Wi-Fi, wired/wireless mesh options, controller... all-in-one in 10x10x3cm size device. Still not available here in Canada. I'm planning to get one and see what it is. If it runs the familiar software and has no issues - it's a winner. Saves a lot from switches with PoE and controller. UDR is similar, but larger unit and more expensive. If you get additional U6 APs you still need PoE switch or PoE injectors further increasing the cost. The end result in user experience perhaps will be the same.

Nice One.
I already have regular switch, the PoE+ switches not costs a lot.
The UDR also 4x4 MIMO while the Unifi Express 2x2.
With UDR I can't see that I can connect to ISP with PPPOE.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!