What's new

Need help with 3TB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

katana13

Occasional Visitor
Running 38_2-em on my RT-N66U, 3TB WD red drive in NexStar CX enclosure. Formatted drive EXT3 using EaseUS partition manager. I want to enable drive for SAMBA inside USB application or Install Download Tools, nothing works. For SAMBA, I get "Failed to create the shared folder", Download Tools "USB storage device is not responding".

I plan to SAMBA to share drive over network, then point BitTorrent Sync to it to do remote backup of important folders.

I did a TELNET to check and these are results:

admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# fdisk -l
fdisk: device has more than 2^32 sectors, can't use all of them
Found valid GPT with protective MBR; using GPT

Disk /dev/sda: 4294967295 sectors, 2047G
Logical sector size: 512
Disk identifier (GUID): f6fe6aa3-c8a4-be05-f130-1cd1f3bdfecd
Partition table holds up to 128 entries
First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 5860533133

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
1 34 5860533132 2794G 0700
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root# mount
rootfs on / type rootfs (rw)
/dev/root on / type squashfs (ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
tmpfs on /tmp type tmpfs (rw)
devfs on /dev type tmpfs (rw,noatime)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /tmp/mnt/BIG_RED_EXT3 type ext3 (ro,nodev,noatime,data=ordered)
admin@RT-N66U:/tmp/home/root#

I'm doing the same thing (N66U on 38_2, sharing 3TB ext3 drive) and it works fine. Drive was formatted under linux with sector size of 4096 rather than 512. I'd suggest reformatting with that sector size (don't know anything about EaseUS partition manager).
Code:
# fdisk -l /dev/sdb
Note: sector size is 4096 (not 512)

Disk /dev/sdb: 3000.5 GB, 3000590401536 bytes
32 heads, 63 sectors/track, 363376 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 2016 * 4096 = 8257536 bytes

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks  Id System
/dev/sdb1               1      363376  2930263040  83 Linux

I also have a Nextar CX with a Caviar Green 3 TB and it works fine with it.

Check your filesystem permissions, make sure it's writable by the router.

Thanks guys, worked perfectly after I used GParted Live CD. I chose to create new partition table, chose GPT. Then formatted to EXT3, no more errors and able to share folders now.

Just researching what program to do remote backup of my pictures folders/important stuff from my various computers onto that hard drive. Just realized BitTorrent Sync can't be used this way, damn!

Thanks guys, worked perfectly after I used GParted Live CD. I chose to create new partition table, chose GPT. Then formatted to EXT3, no more errors and able to share folders now.

Just researching what program to do remote backup of my pictures folders/important stuff from my various computers onto that hard drive. Just realized BitTorrent Sync can't be used this way, damn!

Nice to see that you got it working.

I don't know which router you are using but you can get BTSync running on your router through a chrooted environment.

I've tested this and works fine.

Try this.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10558

I don't know about entware as this doesn't work on my router (AC68u) that's why i build a chroot environment for ARM which is there too.

Also AiCloud support WebDAV clients which I use at the moment as it is lightweight.
Works with foldersync on Android and AllwaySync on Windows.

Last edited:
I'm using RT-N66U, so I can install Debian to my router with that tutorial?

Nice to see that you got it working.

I don't know which router you are using but you can get BTSync running on your router through a chrooted environment.

I've tested this and works fine.

Try this.

http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=10558

I don't know about entware as this doesn't work on my router (AC68u) that's why i build a chroot environment for ARM which is there too.

Also AiCloud support WebDAV clients which I use at the moment as it is lightweight.
Works with foldersync on Android and AllwaySync on Windows.

I'm using RT-N66U, so I can install Debian to my router with that tutorial?

Since you have a mips based router you can follow that tutorial. And get btsync working in the chrooted environment.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Do I download and use the ARM version of BTSync once I get the chroot done? Sorry, completely new to Linux beyond some android stuff.

http://www.bittorrent.com/sync/downloads/complete/os/arm#_

Choices are:
Linux i386(glibc 2.3)
Linux_x64(glibc 2.3)
ARM

PowerPC
i386
x64

PPC QorIQ

Since you have a mips based router you can follow that tutorial. And get btsync working in the chrooted environment.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk