What's new

Need help with ipv6 & Rt-Ac88u with BT Smarthub 2 (SOLVED)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Fyew-jit-tiv

Regular Contributor
Hi All. i need little help with my current setup.

First ill explain my recent dilemma forced upon me by my ISP.

I was running my RT-AC88u along side the Huawei G.Fast Modem (MT992) Using BT's new G.Fast Service.
About a week ago the Huawei modem developed a problem where the box would reset when i reached the lines max download speeds.
I contacted BT to get a replacement box and was told they don't sell or even have replacement Huawei boxes anymore. The only thing they could offer me was the BT smart-hub 2. Now if anyone knows what this box is you'll know its a very primitive router/modem. Because my house is wired with Ethernet in all 8 rooms the bt wasn't a full time option. So i decided to keep using my RT-AC88u as my main box and use the BT smart-hub as a modem.
Using this option presents its own challenges which i had to find out the hard way. So it turns out the BT box cant be manually put into a bridge mode which left me the only option to run 2 sub-nets. One for the BT and the other for my Asus box. i have configured the Asus running the WAN port to the BT box and configured the WAN in a static mode.
At the moment i can get internet and the speeds are very close to what i had previously.
On the BT box all the ipv4 ports have been forwarded to the Asus box but i'm having a problem with the Asus box receiving ipv6. Can someone please tell me what i need to do to configured the system in order for my Asus box to receive ipv6?

Please note my knowledge of networking isn't great but i am a fast learner. I am also using Merlins firmware on the RT-AC88U.
Also i have noted that i may not have used the best configuration by using multiple sub-nets if anyone of you have a better suggestion im all ears/eyes.

Thank for your help.

Another Note. NO current modems work with BT's G'Fast service. BE it single Modem or Combined modem/router.

Last edited:
We dont have G.fast in my area, it appears to run some optimizing software? Not much use if you are tied to their own crappy equipment with limited features.

We dont have G.fast in my area, it appears to run some optimizing software? Not much use if you are tied to their own crappy equipment with limited features.

This is my problem. And because my house is wired with Ethernet in each room (x8) and each room has its own 8port switch the RT-AC88u is the perfect match just need to have a modem. And the Huawei modem is rarer than gold/diamonds. None on ebay neither.

That sounds totally crazy, what sort of business practice is this? Sell a product then be unable or unwilling to supply support.

That sounds totally crazy, what sort of business practice is this? Sell a product then be unable or unwilling to supply support.
My point dude. we dont and probably wont get FTTP only FTTC so G.Fast is the fastest speed we can currently get over copper. BT want folks locked into using BT's own equipment, ill be blunt i don't trust them and these BT boxes are S**T.

So a quick look shows that the MT992 is a locked down version by Openreach with their custom firmware. Are you not on a Virgin area? If it was me and they wouldn't supply me with a replacement modem, I would walk!

So a quick look shows that the MT992 is a locked down version by Openreach with their custom firmware. Are you not on a Virgin area? If it was me and they wouldn't supply me with a replacement modem, I would walk!

No virgin in my area. Only Sky, talk talk etc. and they all use BT's exchanges. BT have the monopoly in my area.

I use Plusnet at home, on their 80/20 package and get 76/18. Granted im 300M away from the box but are you a very long way away? My understanding is G.fast is upto 100MB via Copper lines? TBH would you drop that much speed without it?

I use Plusnet at home, on their 80/20 package and get 76/18. Granted im 300M away from the box but are you a very long way away? My understanding is G.fast is upto 100MB via Copper lines? TBH would you drop that much speed without it?

I can sneeze on my Fiber cabinet its that close so my speeds are decent for copper

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-04-13 155121.jpg
    Annotation 2019-04-13 155121.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 379
Well it would be a drop of 80MB down and 10MB up. At the end of the day they have put you in a position where you need to trade some speed with functionality. It seems like a bizzare stance from BT....but come to think of it, that's why I dropped them years ago ;)

Well it would be a drop of 80MB down and 10MB up. At the end of the day they have put you in a position where you need to trade some speed with functionality. It seems like a bizzare stance from BT....but come to think of it, that's why I dropped them years ago ;)

Its a screwed up stance but i guess from a business point of view "its business"

maybe a Fritz!Box 7583 or Asus DSL-AC88U = DSL-AC3100 could help in your situation?
Latter should be found on ebay or similar platforms, I could not find a Fritz.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Ware-A...102478&hash=item4433f480d9:g:0b0AAOSwMX5cnf5I
If you only use Asus stock firmware you can sell your RT-AC88U.

And maybe someday GNUton can write a Merlin-fork for this DLS-modem too, then you could sell your recent Asus.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/d...ilds-for-dsl-routers.55985/page-2#post-480780

Last edited:
maybe a Fritz!Box 7583 or Asus DSL-AC88U = DSL-AC3100 could help in your situation?
Latter should be found on ebay or similar platforms, I could not find a Fritz.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Ware-A...102478&hash=item4433f480d9:g:0b0AAOSwMX5cnf5I
If you only use Asus stock firmware you can sell your RT-AC88U.

And maybe someday GNUton can write a Merlin-fork for this DLS-modem too, then you could sell your recent Asus.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/d...ilds-for-dsl-routers.55985/page-2#post-480780

I need to make this very clear.... No current modem works with G.Fast. NONE. Thanks for your input but you clearly didn't read my post correctly.

I need to make this very clear.... No current modem works with G.Fast. NONE. Thanks for your input but you clearly didn't read my post correctly.
sorry if I missed something thats different in UK beside brexit, here the specs from Asus DSL-AC88U: https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/
Future-proof DSL Compatibility – Supports ADSL, ADSL 2/2+, VDSL2, and the latest G.fast broadband connections.

Same will be truth for AVM Fritz!Box 7583.

sorry if I missed something thats different in UK beside brexit, here the specs from Asus DSL-AC88U: https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSL-AC88U/
Future-proof DSL Compatibility – Supports ADSL, ADSL 2/2+, VDSL2, and the latest G.fast broadband connections.

Same will be truth for AVM Fritz!Box 7583.

I looked into this but the problem i found is there isn't any RJ11 ports on the box. They all look like RJ45 Ethernet ports and we in the uk have rJ11 on the dsl connection. The other problem i have is i have 8 swatches connecting to the AC-88U and if that DSL 88u were to work i would have to introduce another switch because these box only have 4x Ethernet. Honesly not the ideal solution. Thanks any how.

It has never been a problem to plug in RJ11 connectors in an RJ45 port!!! They are fully compatible.
We all or at least many do it this way. If you dont like to directly plug in you can get an adapter, but not worth not even 1C. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07KB4HBXT/?tag=smallncom-21

And if you need more ports every cheap <10€ switch is built to do exactly this.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!