What's new

Need help with new ZenWiFi ET8 install

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shaftoe

New Around Here
I recently installed the ZenWiFi ET8 6E mesh network in my home. I was hoping that the 2 units in the box would be sufficient to cover all of my house, but they don't. I believe I need one additional unit. Asus doesn't offer this model as a single unit so I'm not sure which of their other mesh routers would serve best as an AP. Also, I live in a 3 story townhouse and the router is in the closet on the 3rd floor. The other ET8 is linked as a wireless AP on the 2nd floor. The 1st floor does not have an AP but does have an ethernet port that connects to the 3rd floor router (I have some exterior wifi requirements that can not be reached if the only AP is on the 1st floor). So not only do I need to select a device to purchase but also decide which unit (the second ET8 or the new purchase) should have the wired backhaul location on the 1st floor and which will be wireless on the 2nd floor.

Any thoughts or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I have the exact same situation as you do.
I am considering buying another ET12 pro but also seeking an answer/suggestion.

Have you tried moving the 2nd node to the 1st floor with a wired backhaul? I have an ET8 with the router in the basement and a wired backhaul to the other node on the 2nd floor. All 3 floors are covered well in that arrangement for me.

Yes, I tried using the 1st floor port. That was the original plan. However, I have security stuff outdoors on the front side of the house far from the first floor port and the outdoor stuff just can't get enough signal to function reliably. I couldn't get closer on the 1st floor b/c the indoor garage is in the way and there's a lot of metal in the house structure so I had to move the router up to the 2nd and locate on the other side of the wall from the outdoor stuff as a wireless AP. There is just enough signal from that AP to cover the 1st floor b/c the current device demands are minimal but I want more than that to reinforce the signal on the backside of the 1st as well as the 2nd floor. I have the port available so I don't need a potent wireless backhaul on the 1st, just a strong signal.
Thanks for responding.
BTW, given a wired backhaul which type of router would be better as an AP WiFi 6 or WiFi 6E?

Right now there are limited clients that can use the 6ghz band so the 6E is of limited benefit. 6ghz is a bit higher bandwidth but is also less effective at penetrating walls. Personally I'd choose 6E expecting more clients will support it in the future and it is nice to have options.

Right now there are limited clients that can use the 6ghz band so the 6E is of limited benefit. 6ghz is a bit higher bandwidth but is also less effective at penetrating walls. Personally I'd choose 6E expecting more clients will support it in the future and it is nice to have options.
Thanks for your reply. I don't have much network experience and need smarter minds to show me the way.

Get the one out of the closet!
Thanks for the response. I agree the closet is a bad location but unfortunately we bought the house already wired and the fiber feed is into the 3rd floor closet. I think that makes it almost a necessity to use an AP on both of the other floors.

I recently installed the ZenWiFi ET8 6E mesh network in my home. I was hoping that the 2 units in the box would be sufficient to cover all of my house, but they don't. I believe I need one additional unit. Asus doesn't offer this model as a single unit so I'm not sure which of their other mesh routers would serve best as an AP. Also, I live in a 3 story townhouse and the router is in the closet on the 3rd floor. The other ET8 is linked as a wireless AP on the 2nd floor. The 1st floor does not have an AP but does have an ethernet port that connects to the 3rd floor router (I have some exterior wifi requirements that can not be reached if the only AP is on the 1st floor). So not only do I need to select a device to purchase but also decide which unit (the second ET8 or the new purchase) should have the wired backhaul location on the 1st floor and which will be wireless on the 2nd floor.

try the firmware from GNUton. its a fork from Merlin.

i had issues with my ET8 (slow wifi uploads). flashed this firmware and it fixed it. for the ET8 you need the RT-AXE95Q firmware. flash it from the web interface the same way you would an asus firmware.

now that this firmware is available maybe asus will release one too.

i had issues with my ET8 (slow wifi uploads). flashed this firmware and it fixed it. for the ET8 you need the RT-AXE95Q firmware. for the XT8 you need the RT-AX95Q firmware. flash it from the web interface the same way you would an asus firmware.

i had issues with my ET8 (slow wifi uploads). flashed this firmware and it fixed it. for the ET8 you need the RT-AXE95Q firmware. for the XT8 you need the RT-AX95Q firmware. flash it from the web interface the same way you would an asus firmware.