What's new

need router for gaming and internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loki993

Occasional Visitor
ok so im finally fed up with my old netgear router, its slow, doesnt have good range and drops connection a lot. im using it mainly for ps3 and surfing on the laptop. its upstairs and the laptop and ps3 are down. what im looking for is a router thats fast and has a stable connection.

ive been looking at the d link dir 655 because everywhere I go everyone says its the fastest, but ive also seen that its speed varies a lot. im not running n, nor will I be running n anytime soon so whatever I get will be running strictly in g mode. newegg has the d link for 95 dollars. they also have a dgl 4300 "gaming" router on sale for 49 dollars, close to the 655, but definitely not as powerful. that also have linksys wrt54s for around 50 bucks??? what do all think?? any other routers out there I should look at?? I dont mind spending money, but I dont want to spend it needlessly, if I can cat something for less money that will work just as good for me Im all about that. remember im running straight g.thanks.

also, just one other thing. whats the best brand router out there?? someone told me that d link is no good, but I have not seen anything that backs that up on the net.

If you are running 11g, I'd go for the DGL-4300 [review]. Plenty fast wired routing speed, gigabit switch and has upstream auto-QoS, which can help with gaming and VoIP.

While the wireless performance had relatively high variation, this is my main wired and wireless router and I have no problems with it. I run it in Super G without Turbo. I don't do any wireless video streaming with it. Just web browsing.

You will always find people who say Brand X is crap. My observation from over 10 years of testing these products is that all makers produce their share of decent products and stinkers.

is a dir-655 overkill if im just running in g??? should I be concerned with the speed varaition issues the router has? I will be running basically wireless. the only wired connection will be the desktop upstairs and its 100mb AFIK

A Draft 11n router provides no wireless performance advantage when working with 802.11b/g clients.

If you are referring to wireless throughput variation, it's very common with draft 11n products. 11g routers tend to have steadier throughput.