What's new

Need some advice setting up VR streaming

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

themotherbrain

New Around Here
Hi! I joined up hoping I could get a little assistance from the knowledgeable folks around here. I cant seem to find a direct answer to my question so I hope you can shed some light for me.

I need better speed for streaming 4k video and VR (htc vive pro). Im also going to be in a scenario where I will need to do the mesh thing to get internet signal for a laptop to a far corner of my property so it is something I need to consider. The router will of course be close to my PC for gaming, so we don't get confused there.

Firstly, I want to mention that I have a Spectrum internet connection and currently use their equipment. I will obviously be ditching this stuff. Spectrum shows Asus CM-32 AC2600 as being the fastest I can get that is "approved" and is a modem/router combo. I was looking for the best equipment I can find and it seems the Asus GT AC-5300 router is top of many lists and mentions being ideal for the tasks I require, but this is where I get confused.

1. Is the GT-AC5300 a standalone modem/router combo or is this used to augment the CM-32 AC2600? Meaning do I buy both?

2. If it is a standalone unit, do I need to use a Spectrum approved modem or will the GT-AC5300 work or connect with Spectrum internet?

3. I see the CM-32 AC2600 shows it is 2 band (2.4 and 5 ghz). The GT AC5300 shows it is 3 band (2.4 and two 5 ghz). Would connecting the GT AC5300 after the CM-32 AC2600 like the ordinary modem and router setup I'm running now create that 3rd band it advertises and amplify the signal?

Can I get some help buying the right stuff? What do I need to optimize? I just want do this once correctly. My knowledge is limited and could use the expert input.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks for listening!

Last edited:
The GT-AC5300 doesn't have a built-in cable modem.

Some people on these boards have said that particular model is poorly supported by Asus. You might want to consider the RT-AC86U (not the RT-AC68U) instead.

Ok so if it's not a modem, is there any benefit to me installing this with the cm-32 ac2600? Does it boost my signal? Will I get that 3rd band?

Sorry, I have no personal experience of either of those products but there would seem little point having both the CM-32 and the GT-AC5300.

I see on wikidevi that the CM-32 has the same Puma chipset as the SB6190. So if you're an online gamer I would avoid both like the plague.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!