What's new

Need some help troubleshoot NTFS USB drive issue on Asus Merlin.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Donot remember the model but one is Seagate and the other is hitatch on USB 3 and 2 respectively. Is this relevant?
Yes it's relevant because of the current draw of each device. For example, a typical 2.5" mechanical HDD needs ~900mA @ 5v to startup. A USB 3 socket can supply 900mA, but a USB 2 socket is only rated for 500mA. Also, the combined power requirements of each device (plus the router) shouldn't exceed the rating of the power supply.

When power supplies get old the maximum current they supply can reduce slightly. If your current devices were already at the limit of what the router could supply it's possible that it can no longer do that.

Make/model is important. Some drives as WD Elements Portable draw less power than similar Seagate Expansion Portable. WD uses native USB 3.0 controller drives, Seagate normal SATA drives with SATA to USB 3.0 adapter. I would avoid USB powered drives altogether.

Yes it's relevant because of the current draw of each device. For example, a typical 2.5" mechanical HDD needs ~900mA @ 5v to startup. A USB 3 socket can supply 900mA, but a USB 2 socket is only rated for 500mA. Also, the combined power requirements of each device (plus the router) shouldn't exceed the rating of the power supply.

When power supplies get old the maximum current they supply can reduce slightly. If your current devices were already at the limit of what the router could supply it's possible that it can no longer do that.
Good information to know. I think the two USB drives are Hitachi HTS727550A9E364 and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex STAA1000101 on USB2 and USB 3 respectively. The Hitachi one does need 900mA for spinup but can not find relevant information of the Seagate...

Good information to know. I think the two USB drives are Hitachi HTS727550A9E364 and Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex STAA1000101 on USB2 and USB 3 respectively. The Hitachi one does need 900mA for spinup but can not find relevant information of the Seagate...
The combined power requirements of two USB 3 devices might be an issue as theoretically you shouldn't be using the Hitachi in a USB 2 socket.

The combined power requirements of two USB 3 devices might be an issue as theoretically you shouldn't be using the Hitachi in a USB 2 socket.
Why I should not be used Hitatchi on USB2, because that port doesnot provide enough power? Also I think I still experience the drive disappear issue with the Seagate on USB3. So I swapped seagate to USB2 and hitachi on USB3. Will see if that changes...Did not experience much difference on performance though...

Why I should not be used Hitatchi on USB2, because that port doesnot provide enough power?
Exactly. I don't know how strictly the Asus USB interfaces are implemented, but USB 2 is only rated for up to 500mA and the Hitachi requires 900mA to start up.

EDIT: Is the Hitachi in some sort of caddy?

Exactly. I don't know how strictly the Asus USB interfaces are implemented, but USB 2 is only rated for up to 500mA and the Hitachi requires 900mA to start up.

EDIT: Is the Hitachi in some sort of caddy?
Yes, I think I bought the drive and enclosure separately...But I have been using them for years and interesting to know the router has power issue...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!