What's new

Need to update ac66 firmware...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Wireless Repeater Mode,.
About that...
I just enabled wireless repeater mode and used the 8800L's 5GHZ wifi radio to repeat.
Weirdest thing is, the ethernet lan is bypassing throttle while the wifi connected (using different SSID's of course) is not bypassing. It must not be applying the post routing ttl 65 to the wifi clients like it is the lan connected client... Any thoughts on that ? If I can get it to apply post routing over the wifi clients too then these devices would be able to be useful in that way.

Any thoughts on that?

What is this throttling about? I'm not familiar with 4G modems, never had/used one. Also, what is the modem's WiFi speed? Because in Wireless Repeater mode the bandwidth is cut on half. The router uses the same radio to serve the clients and to receive the signal from the modem, right? LAN ports will have the full bandwidth.

Last edited:
I just tried a speedtest (with a lan cable connection on the AC66) while in repeater mode with the 8800L 5ghz radio (with the TTL edited).... with the wifi connected devices on the Asus, it's still being throttled down to 666 down/up...
This is my results with the bypass ...
e24ad578-cff3-4892-8770-c6740447b860.png

Most carriers throttle hotspot/tethering data.. VZ implements a hard throttle of 666kbps..(always taping and throttling) doesn't do that, but they do throttle over network management. TM/S both throttle hotspot/tethering as well. Most carriers do this by filtering traffic by TTL value... the hotspot device itself isn't throttled..So if you spoof the TTL values (which is 64+1 for the additional hop, as each hop takes away a value) Android's use 64, windows default is set in the 100's.... So by changing the outbound TTL, you're not throttled... I have a nighthawk M1 router and it gets close to 200Mbps download speeds depending on the time of day and area (getting a -80dB via two external antenna's on the ports) upload speeds are drastic changing... Price per month is $35.99 prepaid autopay .

VZ 8800L is getting as high as 150Mbps download speeds / 15Mbps upload and is costing my customers about $50... faster upload throughput with VZ though, which is a primary carrier due to the fact it would work with ring cameras upload requirements.

Guess I could switch over to tomato and use client mode.... Since client mode isn't compatible with merlin...
Thanks guys for the help. If you want to learn more about what I'm talking about here is the details... I just don't like to see good people living in the country by big telecom companies who aren't updating their lines or expanding.. Can't wait for SpaceX's starlink to be online.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119766&sid=0d5e18a4555059ee09ecdfb85a2ca8f4

I applaud your efforts to help bring broadband to un/underserved rural areas.

So by changing the outbound TTL, you're not throttled...

I also support the idea, but isn't it cheating? At some point the telecom will notice something is not exactly as they expected it to be. What's the probability/possibility for them to implement some other form of throttling to prevent this type of use of hotspots?

I also support the idea, but isn't it cheating? At some point the telecom will notice something is not exactly as they expected it to be. What's the probability/possibility for them to implement some other form of throttling to prevent this type of use of hotspots?
I know of a few heavy users who had their device cutoff, that was someone using over TB's of data on multiple months in a row.....

You could do this same thing with a phone tethering to the router this way... I just ordered some USB C to ethernet adapters with power distro feature so the device can charge while it's plugged in, and it will go directly into the routers wan port vs the usb.... no more issues... other then a battery needing to be swapped out for swelling or over charging.. jetpacks won't operate if you remove battery.. someone could make a 3d printed battery and jump the connections needed to trick the device... but battery replacements are not much.

And as for cheating, I don't think so.. You're paying for data, should be allowed to use it how you want.. not our fault the companies are greedy and got the internet neutrality pushed aside. Most companies have gotten major fines for throttling customers. but they still do it. I have a customer on fiber optic from 'always taping & throttling' (which was why I came up with that name) and they have to use a vpn for most video services or it's unwatchable, Mostly between 6-10pm when everyone is using the internet, but someone who's paying for the 1'gbps connection with them won't be throttled at all.. so IDGRA about what isn't cheating anymore. I help people who want a normal life outside the city, at least until starlink from elon gets out to the masses which I can't wait for.

Most carriers throttle hotspot/tethering data.. VZ implements a hard throttle of 666kbps..(always taping and throttling) doesn't do that, but they do throttle over network management. TM/S both throttle hotspot/tethering as well. Most carriers do this by filtering traffic by TTL value... the hotspot device itself isn't throttled..So if you spoof the TTL values (which is 64+1 for the additional hop, as each hop takes away a value) Android's use 64, windows default is set in the 100's.... So by changing the outbound TTL, you're not throttled... I have a nighthawk M1 router and it gets close to 200Mbps download speeds depending on the time of day and area (getting a -80dB via two external antenna's on the ports) upload speeds are drastic changing... Price per month is $35.99 prepaid autopay .

VZ 8800L is getting as high as 150Mbps download speeds / 15Mbps upload and is costing my customers about $50... faster upload throughput with VZ though, which is a primary carrier due to the fact it would work with ring cameras upload requirements.

Incase you didn't know, the $35 plan is gone and some customers are being grandfathered in to it, and those that are abusing the data, are being given a choice to put the sim in to an iPad or lose the service all together.

T-Mobile, is slowly rolling out a 4G LTE home internet for $50/month includes all taxes and fees ...no contract. You have to sign up for it on T-Mobile website and wait for them to contact you, once its comes available in your area.
Downside, you only get 50Mbps down and the supplied router is Geofence locked. So you cant take it with you to friends house or to a coffee shop.
The router is free, has crappy wifi and two lan ports.

So its another great alternative to VZ or AT$T.

Last edited:
Guess I could switch over to tomato and use client mode.... Since client mode isn't compatible with merlin...
Thanks guys for the help. If you want to learn more about what I'm talking about here is the details... I just don't like to see good people living in the country by big telecom companies who aren't updating their lines or expanding.. Can't wait for SpaceX's starlink to be online.
https://forum.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1119766&sid=0d5e18a4555059ee09ecdfb85a2ca8f4

There is a workaround for your issues, but you will need a dedicated laptop/PC running Windows, anything for $150 with a 1Gig Nic.

Connect Hotspot to a laptop/pc via USB port. In Windows, Create a Network bridge between Laptop Nic and Hotspot connection.
Get a Lan cable and connect it to a laptops Nic card and the other end must be connected to WAN port on the Router.
And you are done.

Now go to Control panel, power settings and change the settings to "what happens when Lid/Screen is Closed" to turn off monitor.

Lock the the the account, instead of logging out and close the laptops screen. Thats it.

The downside, you may or may not, have to reboot the laptop once a week, depends on the laptop it self and what Win OS version its running.

Last edited:
That's not it. Read above what @Joshua Price final goal is.

The Laptop method I described above, has no throttling. And IF, for some reason you still get throttling, you can always add TTL values in Windows. Ive used various Hotspots directly connected to a laptop via USB cable (Windows and MacOS) and had no throttling.

Im not sure what his other final goal is. You'll have to point it out for me.