What's new

Need to update ac66 firmware...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Joshua Price

Occasional Visitor
Asus recently released new version for the RT-AC66U firmware in the last part of the year..
I keep trying to use the last version of merlin's firmware but I keep getting constant reboots when I'm using the 4G device as wan... I used the latest version (3.0.0.4.382_51641) from the Asus website and it no longer reboots the router constantly. I need merlin's jffs/scripts to bypass the 4G throttle.. Can we get a update for this device please? The last firmware update was 380.70 with Merlinwrt...

Asus recently released new version for the RT-AC66U firmware in the last part of the year..
I keep trying to use the last version of merlin's firmware but I keep getting constant reboots when I'm using the 4G device as wan... I used the latest version (3.0.0.4.382_51641) from the Asus website and it no longer reboots the router constantly. I need merlin's jffs/scripts to bypass the 4G throttle.. Can we get a update for this device please? The last firmware update was 380.70 with Merlinwrt...
Does this info from the RMerlin wiki answer your question?
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices

Does this info from the RMerlin wiki answer your question?
https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin/wiki/Supported-Devices

I have seen that... the router reboots constantly if I use the last 5 versions for merlin with a 4g device. Using Asus version I didn't have the issue. using tomato works but not for this particular jetpack device.
I realize that it is an old router model, it still works great for the hardware that it has. The fact that Asus released a firmware update says as much. I would appreciate for a single last update for this router if at all possible given that Asus released a update for it. single update..not asking for ongoing support.. just single update since they themselves did. I'll donate for the effort.

Not going to happen. RMerlin made it clear that he didn't have the time to support those older models. Since then Asus have moved to completely different code base (382 vs. 380), which RMerlin also doesn't support. In short, RMerlin isn't going to build an entirely new version of his firmware based on 382 just for one person.

I have 2 RT-AC68 routers.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/pptp-site-to-site-issue.35724/
What happened to the 2 x RT-AC68U routers? They are compatible with latest Asuswrt-Merlin releases. Test if this 4G device works properly on RT-AC68U, then think about updating/replacing the RT-AC66U. The cheapest available router with Asuswrt-Merlin support is RT-AC66U B1 model and it's <$100. It is similar to RT-AC68U hardware in a flat design package. Runs Asuswrt-Merlin for RT-AC68U.

Last edited:
Not sure how much you were considering for a donation, but why not redirect that cash to a new router that can run the current Merlin?
Because I have a non-profit that helps rural areas get highspeed internet. I've recently bought about 50 (bulk purchase) of the AC66/AC68 routers to install in rural areas for 4G internet where people are getting hosed by viasat/hughesnet. The newest firmware has AiMesh capability as well...Which works great for those bigger farms...

The AC68 units work great with any 4G device I throw at it.. I guess I can try to resell these 66 units and buy more of the 68.. just got stuck with about 30 of them.

That single update would involve merging two years of code on top of the old codebase. We're talking multiple weeks of work dedicated to that one device. Not gonna happen, sorry.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/pptp-site-to-site-issue.35724/
What happened to the 2 x RT-AC68U routers? They are compatible with latest Asuswrt-Merlin releases. Test if this 4G device works properly on RT-AC68U, then think about updating/replacing the RT-AC66U. The cheapest available router with Asuswrt-Merlin support is RT-AC66U B1 model and it's <$100. It is similar to RT-AC68U hardware in a flat design package. Runs Asuswrt-Merlin for RT-AC68U.
I have a few of those AC66U B1's, AC68U, and AC86 packages.

That single update would involve merging two years of code on top of the old codebase. We're talking multiple weeks of work dedicated to that one device. Not gonna happen, sorry.
Thanks for replying . Guess I'll end up paying a guy in Kansas $60 per flash on the Jetpack 8800 to bypass the hard throttle and just use the standard firmware from Asus which works.

Thanks for replying . Guess I'll end up paying a guy in Kansas $60 per flash on the Jetpack 8800 to bypass the hard throttle and just use the standard firmware from Asus which works.

Take a look at Fresh Tomato, it's still actively developed.

I have a few of those AC66U B1's, AC68U, and AC86 packages.

Then I don't understand why did you choose RT-AC66U to connect this 4G device to. All the routers you mentioned are currently supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Is the 4G device working properly on those routers? I mean, the issue you have is it software or hardware related?

Ah, OK... I see the answer above. Purchased by mistake.

Because I have a non-profit that helps rural areas get highspeed internet. I've recently bought about 50 (bulk purchase) of the AC66/AC68 routers to install in rural areas for 4G internet where people are getting hosed by viasat/hughesnet. The newest firmware has AiMesh capability as well...Which works great for those bigger farms...
The RT-AC66U (non-B1 version) isn't capable of AiMesh.

Take a look at Fresh Tomato, it's still actively developed.
I already did.. Won't work with the 8800 Jetpack, there's a few forum posts about it and none have been able to get it working. Tried DD-wrt and it doesn't pull wan ip... tomato same as dd-wrt. and last 5 merlin files. Merlin connects, it just random reboots when I initiate the script for bypassing the throttle, more so on a speed test.. On speedtest.net t will pull about 100Mbps down and start the upload test about 20Mbps... somewhere about the 5th second of upload it reboots... random reboots about every 10 minutes or so...

Code:
#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
modprobe xt_HL
modprobe xt_hl
iptables -t mangle -A POSTROUTING -j TTL --ttl-set 65

Then I don't understand why did you choose RT-AC66U to connect this 4G device to. All the routers you mentioned are currently supported by Asuswrt-Merlin. Is the 4G device working properly on those routers? I mean, the issue you have is it software or hardware related?

Ah, OK... I see the answer above. Purchased by mistake.

I honestly thought it could be hardware related for this specific router.. bad capacitor /power supply maybe because it works for a few minutes before reboot and also reboots when putting it through a speedtest... But when I put the device on the Asus OEM firmware and used one of the 8800's that hasn't hit the hard limit, would stay on when doing a speedtest/putting it through it's paces.

[[[update]]]

I guess I could use the ones giving problems with the areas where AT&T works better and use the Nighthawk M1 with the ethernet wan ip passthrough.

Is the 4G modem powered by the router's USB port?
Yes, it is. USB C connection on the device.

The 8800L and the 7730L jet packs are pretty much the same device as far as the way they usb tether.. In merlin/Asus firmware you set up the wan as android.... or as usb modem and set the dial number as **99***3# and APN as VZWINTERNET... I tried on tomato to set the second info up but wouldn't pull the wan information

Yes, it is. USB C connection on the device.

RT-AC66U has USB 2.0 ports, limited to 500mA (in theory). In general it is not a good idea to use the router's ports as power supply. Especially on this model router due to heat transferred in USB ports area from the passive CPU heat sink. Design flaw, perhaps.

RT-AC66U has USB 2.0 ports, limited to 500mA (in theory). In general it is not a good idea to use the router's ports as power supply. Especially on this model router due to heat transferred in USB ports area from the passive CPU heat sink. Design flaw, perhaps.
I realized it was a 500mA.. that could be the issue on the heat causing reboots.. out of curiosity though I'm gonna put a good fan on it and see if it reboots.. if it doesn't then I'll know it's heat related.. as far as these models go, I'll plan on either selling or using them with nighthawk routers.

that could be the issue on the heat causing reboots

If it was strictly hardware related issue, there would be no difference in behavior with different firmware versions. You mentioned it is working better on latest Asuswrt firmware, but not on the last Asuswrt-Merlin. Do some tests, see what happens. RT-AC66U doesn't have AiMesh support, but as far as I remember it does have Wireless Repeater Mode, so may be still usable as a range extender in some places.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!