1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
Dismiss Notice

Welcome To SNBForums

SNBForums is a community for anyone who wants to learn about or discuss the latest in wireless routers, network storage and the ins and outs of building and maintaining a small network.

If you'd like to post a question, simply register and have at it!

While you're at it, please check out SmallNetBuilder for product reviews and our famous Router Charts, Ranker and plenty more!

NETGEAR Announces DIY Orbi Extender

Discussion in 'NETGEAR AC Wireless' started by thiggins, Aug 29, 2017.

1. pege63

pege63 Very Senior Member

So why Netgear say that "by default all Nighthawk Routers use high 5G band, i interpret that it applies to the both 5GHz bands".

2. thiggins

thiggins Mr. Easy Staff Member

Dual-band (two radio) routers default to using high band for 5 GHz.

3. pege63

So on tri band one is for high and the second for low band, I thought Netgear meant on both 5GHz band. So you can not choose?

4. thiggins

"Tri-band" routers have three radios: 2.4 GHz; 5 GHz ch 36-48; 5 GHz ch 149-165.

pege63 likes this.
  5. pege63

Oki i only have high 5GHz ch 100-128.

6. Trebuin

Trebuin Senior Member

Good question, but the problem is interference. If the radio is operating at full capacity, every channel is actually used. Your scenario would have every channel used twice, on the same board. This would wreak havoc on the network capability.

7. thiggins

Tri-radio routers work because bandpass filters are used on each 5 GHz radio to keep them from overloading each other.

You can't have two radios on the same band within inches of each other. There would be no way to keep the receivers from being blown up by the other's transmitter.

8. pete y testing

pete y testing Very Senior Member

and even then as proved by the 3200 series there was some interference

9. thiggins

How so? What was the proof of interference?

10. pete y testing

look at your own testing one the asus rt-ac3200 and its poor performance on 5 gig , as also test here this was caused by cross talk between the two 5 gig channels , if they where on the same freq this would have been far worse

11. thiggins

I don't see what you are seeing.
    [​IMG]

12. Krusher

Krusher New Around Here

Just curious if any of these newer extenders might be tested here in "wired mode" to see how they would perform as a stand-alone AP in the next month or two?

Last week I finished installing an R9000-->SFP+-->MikroTik switch because the Wi-Fi was so slow/unreliable on the opposite site of the house, 2nd floor. While I don't technically need high-speed Wi-Fi anymore after this fix, it might be worth it if the performance is better than the ~80Mbit/s versions reviewed 2+ years ago.

Thanks

13. pete y testing

so just got one of these and i have to say im impressed that

1. it works out of the box and works well , these days thats a surprise and unexpected

2. it achieves the same if not better speeds than the orbi its self once connected to a tri band 1733M router and dedicating its high 5 gig band to the back haul job

tested beackhaul at 50 feet through a plaster and brick wall and got 80MB/s read and 70 MB/s write doing a samba throughput test

----------------------

simple answer is if you have a current high end router ( esp tri band ) and need to extend that coverage through a 3500 sq foot house then instead of selling your wave 2 router and getting a mesh / dw system you just might want to consider the ex8000 and save quite a bit of money

again not sure why netgear would release this along side its orbi system as it seems to undermine the orbi sales wise , but im guessing it gives those with existing big honking routers an option and thats a good thing

14. pege63

Wath router did you use to the EXT8000?

15. pete y testing

tested with first the orbi and connecting to its front haul and then for the speed tests above the netgear r8500 and dedicated the r8500 high 5 gig band to the backhaul to the ex8000

in essence making it the same as the orbi and in fact slightly better

pege63 likes this.
  16. pege63

Oki here it cost 2.500 SEK that more that a R7800 router cost (1.995 SEK) and a R8500 (2.499 SEK) so its quite expensive Extender/AP.

17. pete y testing

ok but how much is the orbi with 1 router and 1 sat ?

as i said if you already have a good big honking router the ex8000 is a good alternative to buying a total mesh system

18. pege63

Netgear Orbi RBK50 Kit cost 4499-4990 SEK so a R8500 + EXT8000 around 5000 SEK.
    One place i see now sell the Orbi Kit 3862 SEK

My i ask if some one have a R7000 and buy EXT8000 do you get the MU-MIMO just on the EXT or you must have in both router + ext?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  19. RogerSC

RogerSC Part of the Furniture

To really take advantage of this, you need more than a big honking router, you need one with 2 5Hz. radios. If you have that, then this looks like a good addition to improve one's wireless coverage (if needed *smile*).

20. pege63

In the end its all about the clients, pointless to have a overkill expensive wifi network.
    If the clients cant be setup and support to the wifi by SS, CH, AT or wath ever.