What's new

NETGEAR Announces DIY Orbi Extender

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So why Netgear say that "by default all Nighthawk Routers use high 5G band, i interpret that it applies to the both 5GHz bands".

So why Netgear say that "by default all Nighthawk Routers use high 5G band, i interpret that it applies to the both 5GHz bands".
Dual-band (two radio) routers default to using high band for 5 GHz.

So on tri band one is for high and the second for low band, I thought Netgear meant on both 5GHz band. So you can not choose?

So on tri band one is for high and the second for low band, I thought Netgear meant on both 5GHz band. So you can not choose?
"Tri-band" routers have three radios: 2.4 GHz; 5 GHz ch 36-48; 5 GHz ch 149-165.

I wonder, why can't they just allow both of the 5GHz radios have full access to all available channels in the range. Any chance Netgeat will allow that so that people can choose which channels they want to use?

Good question, but the problem is interference. If the radio is operating at full capacity, every channel is actually used. Your scenario would have every channel used twice, on the same board. This would wreak havoc on the network capability.

Good question, but the problem is interference. If the radio is operating at full capacity, every channel is actually used. Your scenario would have every channel used twice, on the same board. This would wreak havoc on the network capability.
Tri-radio routers work because bandpass filters are used on each 5 GHz radio to keep them from overloading each other.

You can't have two radios on the same band within inches of each other. There would be no way to keep the receivers from being blown up by the other's transmitter.

How so? What was the proof of interference?

look at your own testing one the asus rt-ac3200 and its poor performance on 5 gig , as also test here this was caused by cross talk between the two 5 gig channels , if they where on the same freq this would have been far worse

look at your own testing one the asus rt-ac3200 and its poor performance on 5 gig ,
I don't see what you are seeing.
asus_rtac3200_compare_5ghz_dn.jpg

Just curious if any of these newer extenders might be tested here in "wired mode" to see how they would perform as a stand-alone AP in the next month or two?

Last week I finished installing an R9000-->SFP+-->MikroTik switch because the Wi-Fi was so slow/unreliable on the opposite site of the house, 2nd floor. While I don't technically need high-speed Wi-Fi anymore after this fix, it might be worth it if the performance is better than the ~80Mbit/s versions reviewed 2+ years ago.

Thanks

so just got one of these and i have to say im impressed that

1. it works out of the box and works well , these days thats a surprise and unexpected

2. it achieves the same if not better speeds than the orbi its self once connected to a tri band 1733M router and dedicating its high 5 gig band to the back haul job

tested beackhaul at 50 feet through a plaster and brick wall and got 80MB/s read and 70 MB/s write doing a samba throughput test

----------------------

simple answer is if you have a current high end router ( esp tri band ) and need to extend that coverage through a 3500 sq foot house then instead of selling your wave 2 router and getting a mesh / dw system you just might want to consider the ex8000 and save quite a bit of money

again not sure why netgear would release this along side its orbi system as it seems to undermine the orbi sales wise , but im guessing it gives those with existing big honking routers an option and thats a good thing

tested with first the orbi and connecting to its front haul and then for the speed tests above the netgear r8500 and dedicated the r8500 high 5 gig band to the backhaul to the ex8000

in essence making it the same as the orbi and in fact slightly better

Oki here it cost 2.500 SEK that more that a R7800 router cost (1.995 SEK) and a R8500 (2.499 SEK) so its quite expensive Extender/AP.

Oki here it cost 2.500 SEK that more that a R7800 router cost (1.995 SEK) and a R8500 (2.499 SEK) so its quite expensive Extender/AP.

ok but how much is the orbi with 1 router and 1 sat ?

as i said if you already have a good big honking router the ex8000 is a good alternative to buying a total mesh system

ok but how much is the orbi with 1 router and 1 sat ?

Netgear Orbi RBK50 Kit cost 4499-4990 SEK so a R8500 + EXT8000 around 5000 SEK.
One place i see now sell the Orbi Kit 3862 SEK

My i ask if some one have a R7000 and buy EXT8000 do you get the MU-MIMO just on the EXT or you must have in both router + ext?

Last edited:
To really take advantage of this, you need more than a big honking router, you need one with 2 5Hz. radios. If you have that, then this looks like a good addition to improve one's wireless coverage (if needed *smile*).

In the end its all about the clients, pointless to have a overkill expensive wifi network.
If the clients cant be setup and support to the wifi by SS, CH, AT or wath ever.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!