What's new

News NETGEAR Announces Two Small-Biz Wi-Fi 6 APs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

thiggins

Mr. Easy
Staff member
netgear_wifi6_ap.jpg
NETGEAR today announced the availability of the WAX202 and WAX206 desktop WiFi 6 Access Points. The WAX202 supports two streams on each band, while the WAX206 supports four streams.

Both support up to three separate wireless sub-networks each with dedicated SSIDs, WPA3 and have a DHCP NAT server for enhanced firewall security. Other key features are summarized in the table below.

Features_table.png
The WAX202 Essentials WiFi 6 Access Point is available now in the US and Europe – WAX202-100NAS (US) – MSRP $99.99. The WAX202-100EUS (Europe and U.K.) is available in Europe for an MSRP €99.99, £84.99.

The WAX206 Essentials WiFi 6 Access Point will be available in late August in the US and Europe - WAX206-100NAS (US) – MSRP $149. The WAX206-100EUS (Europe and U.K.) is available in Europe for an MSRP €149, £139.

Would the WAX206 be a better choice than a more expensive router such as the RAX120 ?

I‘m thinking both support wise and the fact that I only need an access point without routing capabilities?
I also want good wireless coverage, that would equal or beat my current ASUS Blue Cave which is actually fairly phenomena.

Would the WAX206 be a better choice than a more expensive router such as the RAX120 ?

I‘m thinking both support wise and the fact that I only need an access point without routing capabilities?
I also want good wireless coverage, that would equal or beat my current ASUS Blue Cave which is actually fairly phenomena.
1. The RAX120 is a 8 stream router/AP whilst the WAX206 is only 2x2, hence why the former costs a lot more. How much better the RAX120 will be, you won't know until you try it out.

2. If you're happy with your Asus Blue Cave (as main router?) then you might as well buy another one - given how cheap it is - and put it into AP mode.

If you don’t need VLAN support the WAX202 works well as a low cost wifi 6 access point.
You can also load Openwrt for full VLAN support.