What's new

Netgear Orbi - Ethernet Backhaul Through Switch Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CorruptedMind

Occasional Visitor
Now I know I am wasting a feature that Orbi has that specifically has a it's own radio for wireless backhaul... But I would like to get Ethernet Backhaul working with my setup and could use help.

I have Centurylink Fiber 1Gig up and 1 Gig down. In order to get rid of Centurylink's Modem/Router combo I had to utilize PPPOE and VLAN Tagging. I setup the VLAN Tagging on my TP Link Smart Switch (tl-sg108e) and plugged that straight into the ONT. I used Port 1 as the Tagged VLAN ID 201 and port 2 as the untagged port. I then applied PVID for port 1 and 2 for type 201.

I successfully got this working with port 1 plugged into the ONT and port 2 plugged into the Orbi Router. I have the Orbi Satellite plugged into port 3 but it's not recognizing the Ethernet Backhaul. Is there any kind of bridging configuration on the switch that I would need to do in order for the Satellite to recognize the backhaul? Is this something that can work? I would appreciate the help from you smart folks.

Did you ever get this to work? I can't get wired backhaul to work at all (see my other thread) and my network is simpler than yours, with only 7 or 8 unmanaged switches between my devices.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!