What's new

Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Rffs

New Around Here
Hi, im morgan.

I've narrowed down my search to those two routers. From the review i understand that the netgear is a little better. Previously i owned the RT N66U very good range and good speeds and most important its stable.

I didnt include the AC87u because it seems like the firmware is still very unstable.

Any owners of the netgear r7000 and ac68u can give some advices or hints?

Thank you

I have the netgear r7000 up on dd-wrt with astrill vpn. I have had no issues what so ever, but I'm all Mac's.

I have both the R7000 and the RT-AC68P. I think that the choice is really personal preference, both provide great performance and wireless coverage. If you're going to use stock firmware on whichever router you get, and you want moreinformative and functional firmware, RMerlin firmware for the RT-AC68P is close to stock but has a lot more functionality available than Netgear stock firmware.

My original choice of the R7000 was based on the fact that the original USB 3.0 throughput was much higher for the R7000 than the RT-AC68U. And the R7000 has worked well for me for over a year now. I used dd-wrt a lot with it, since it took Netgear quite some time to get their stock firmware working well. Stock firmware is working well on it now. Dd-wrt worked really well for quite a while. Great performance, ignoring that IPv6 has never worked properly on dd-wrt for me. Tomato ARM is also available, but that one is early on, pretty much Alpha or Beta, depending on the features that you're looking for *smile*.

I got the RT-AC68P recently out of curiosity (and it was on sale *smile*)...It has also performed well here. I'm enjoying using RMerlin firmware, a blast from the past, since I used an RT-N66U for a couple of years before getting the R7000.

Again, I'd say that this one is up to you, both are very capable, mature wireless routers, so you have two good choices.

Enjoy!

thanks alot for your advices. :) i was leaning towards the netgear because of the usb3, but i may stay with asus.

ASUS is my one choice
f.png

Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68U (or even Asus AC56U)

I have exactly the same doubt about Netgear R7000 or Asus AC68U (or even Asus AC56U).

I have a slightly preference for Netgear because the reviews said it handled better the USB 3.0 usage.

RogerSC you've mentioned that you have both routers. Do you see any difference when dealing with the USB 3.0 storage?

I also wonder if the higher read / write speed has any consequence in the performance if I'd like to stream HD or FHD (no 4K) content. Probably, I should ask first if any of these two are suitable for wireless streaming.

On the firmware side, I'm completely newbie. I see a lot of development in this forum by Merlin about Asus firmware, which may be a pro towards Asus. However, besides some streaming and kind of NAS storage, I’m not planning anything extreme with my routers. So my question is, is it worth this additional firmware support worth so as to purchase the Asus? Or may I stay with the stock firmware.

Lastly, based on the fact that in the reviews the USB 3.0 speed of the AC56U is close to Netgear R7000 I wonder if it would be better to purchase the AC56U at USD 100 compared to the R7000 USD 175 at Amazon, and save me USD 75.

Thanks in advance,

Hi,
R7000, even OC'd runs pretty cool.

What's the point here if these can only be used with Ac client. HD streaming needs consistent 30MB/s on average most routers in n gives 10-17MB based on through put. If you have wireless n450 you can exceed 30mb . Ac on the other hand though exceed 1gb barrier of giga lan in practical it stays 600-900 which would get you 45-66MB/S being 5gh close proximity may be a drawback

ulaganath, tried a very quick google search, but I couldn´t find anything relevant. Probably you're online.

So, you're telling me that with a "n" client is useless to stream HD content due to the wi-fi constraints? Do you have some link where I can get more information on that?

Thanks,

What about the temperature between the two?

The temperatures of both routers are comparable, and well below the max for the radios or the CPU. High 40's/low 50's for the radios, 65-75 degrees for the CPU's. That's centigrade, of course *smile*. Both the R7000 and RT-AC68P have lots of headroom for the component temperatures. The R7000 sensors indicate a slightly lower temperature than the Asus RT-AC68P, but that doesn't really matter, since both are just fine.

RogerSC you've mentioned that you have both routers. Do you see any difference when dealing with the USB 3.0 storage?

Probably, I should ask first if any of these two are suitable for wireless streaming.

I don't use my router for streaming media via USB disks, so I don't know how either one works for that. However, I do stream media via a Roku to my TV, and that works fine with both routers. And I also stream directly from the internet on my desktop and laptop computers with no problem with both routers. If you're streaming via wireless, you'd be well advised to use 5GHz., and use wireless-AC if you have wireless-AC clients. At least that works a lot better around here since 2.4GHz. is pretty crowded, and wireless-AC speeds are also higher.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!