What's new

Netgear R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I read the post it shows a bug but still not sure if that makes .68 a security risk.

There could be very different cases. If firewall is crashed for IPv6 it means that this program most probably did not complete its job. So variants:

1. Really security risk if you are using IPv6. I.e. firewall (blocking external attacks) does not work for IPv6.
2. Some functionalities just do not work as planned if you are using IPv6. Forwarding or accepted connection of whatever else. Could lead to not stable work of router or even its reboot.
3. Both "1." and "2.".
4. Minor bug at the end of program i.e. it was able to complete the firewall job. But it is crashing anyway, so something is wrong. For example not freed memory (memory leak) or vice versa: attempt to free not allocated memory.
5. Etc. etc.

This firewall (net-wall) is included into GPL sources in binary pre-built form. So I cannot say what is exactly wrong with IPv6 processing by this program.

Voxel.

Hi

Has anyone had any issues using the DLNA media server on version 1.02.68 of the firmware? I've found that Windows Media Player can not correctly read from the server.

I dropped back to 1.02.62 and it started working again.

Thanks,

jra505

Hi

Has anyone had any issues using the DLNA media server on version 1.02.68 of the firmware? I've found that Windows Media Player can not correctly read from the server.

I dropped back to 1.02.62 and it started working again.

Thanks,

jra505

This is a known problem reported by others too. Going back to .62 is the only solution. Keep in mind that NG may remove miniDLNA if they plan to integrate Armor into the firmware. Don't depend on routers to be media servers. Use the right tool for the job which is a NAS system

It worked when I tested it, and it's still in the code.
I really don't use it myself.
To be sure I think we wait for @Voxel to answer!

Are you sure DLNA works with Voxel's latest? I just tried it and seem to be having the same issue that I had with 1.02.68

Yes and no. It is working for most of my devices. For example when I use my iPhone, iPad, from android smartphones, from PC with Linux and e.g. Samsung SmartTV (the last I am using as a rule). But I could not get it working from Windows 10 media player (my laptops). Something specific with Windows 10 <-> Router. Maybe some changes in UPnP server in firmware (pre-built binary from NG).

Voxel.

Yes and no. It is working for most of my devices. For example when I use my iPhone, iPad, from android smartphones, from PC with Linux and e.g. Samsung SmartTV (the last I am using as a rule). But I could not get it working from Windows 10 media player (my laptops). Something specific with Windows 10 <-> Router. Maybe some changes in UPnP server in firmware (pre-built binary from NG).

Voxel.

Hi Voxel - thanks for this, it totally fits in with my experiences with 1.02.68 and your latest firmware.

Which is the most recent version of your firmware which has the DNLA still working with Windows 10?

Thanks

Which is the most recent version of your firmware which has the DNLA still working with Windows 10?
I am sorry but I really do not remember... As I said mainly I use it on SmartTV (and it's working). As far as I remember my old laptop with Win7 was OK even when Win10 fails. I've upgraded it: Win7 -> Win10.

I used Win10 only for a test. There was similar request (minidlna on Win10). So I confirmed this issue. Two or three firmware "ago".

Voxel.

I am sorry but I really do not remember... As I said mainly I use it on SmartTV (and it's working). As far as I remember my old laptop with Win7 was OK even when Win10 fails. I've upgraded it: Win7 -> Win10.

I used Win10 only for a test. There was similar request (minidlna on Win10). So I confirmed this issue. Two or three firmware "ago".

Voxel.

OK, no worries - I'll see if I can figure out the last one that had it working and will report back!

UPNP, which stands for Universal Plug & Play is broken on this firmware. For those using torrent clients, or any application which requires port forwarding will have a difficult time with this firmware.

I have tested this firmware on my Netgear X4S and reverted back to the latest stable version which is 1.0.2.62

UPNP, which stands for Universal Plug & Play is broken on this firmware. For those using torrent clients, or any application which requires port forwarding will have a difficult time with this firmware.

I have tested this firmware on my Netgear X4S and reverted back to the latest stable version which is 1.0.2.62

Hey @Voxel

I'm a bit confused, if the UPnP bug only arose in the 1.02.68 firmware how come I had to go back so far in your firmwares to find a version that had DLNA working?

Just curious really - I'm really grateful for your hard work, I'd just like to understand.

Many thanks,
jra505

Because Voxel has released many versions based on the 1.0.2.68 code.

Because Voxel has released many versions based on the 1.0.2.68 code.

But 1.02.68 was only released on 31st Dec 2019, yet I had to go back to April 2019 to find a version of Voxel's firmware which did not have the problem with DLNA.

But 1.02.68 was only released on 31st Dec 2019, yet I had to go back to April 2019 to find a version of Voxel's firmware which did not have the problem with DLNA.

Not sure maybe Voxel will answer when he see's your post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!