What's new

Netgear R7800 Firmware Version 1.0.2.68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

More information on .68 changes :
  • Support for DHCP option 60 and 61 in GUI (VENDOR class) + Autogeneration of Option 90,77 (USER Class) and 125 for Orange ISP
  • Support for Orange France ISP specific options : PPPoE connection, IPv6, TV, Vlan
  • Hijack DNS request for routerlogin on port 53 and 5333 (automatic redirect to router GUI)

How’s this stock version working out for people? I’m still on .63 and in AP mode.
Two R7800s here. One router and the other used as an AP.

Both were rock solid on .63. The router had 99 days of uptime before I updated it to .68 and it's been working perfectly since the update.

About 12 days of uptime so far, no complaints.

Two R7800s here. One router and the other used as an AP.
Both were rock solid, Both on Voxel Firmware, sofar 102 days

Router Firmware Versie
V1.0.2.70SF
Actieve tijd van systeem 102:20:12:38

I am not sure that everything is fine with .68

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...rrors-Copying-Large-Files/m-p/1843555#M145722

Still postpone... To include into my build.

Voxel.
Ah yes this issue. It's a real pain in the butt to transfer files to my Raspberry Pi because of this.

Other than the file transfer / Access Point mode issue, basic functions are working well and there's no 5GHz instability like there was on .58.

What version is your FW currently based on?

I am not sure that everything is fine with .68

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...rrors-Copying-Large-Files/m-p/1843555#M145722

Still postpone... To include into my build.

Voxel.

Voxel does that mean you won't integrate the QCA drivers from stock .68 which include support for FCC channels 136, 140, and 144 into your firmware?

Are these QCA drivers contributing to/the cause of the large transfer CRC problems in the stock firmware or is it something else?

What stock version of R7800 firmware are you currently using for your firmware and QCA drivers? The last mention of stock firmware in your change log is .62 when listing changes to
1.0.2.63SF.

Last edited:
@Voxel when are you going to team up with XVortex like asus merlin xrt GUI into the r7800 and r8000 family of router like the R7000 ?

NEVER.. Xvortex firmware is illegal and a hack. Neither Voxel or Merlin would ever have anything to do with him. People like Xvortex will be the reason 3rd party firmware will no longer be possible as vendors will move to entirely closed source.

Voxel does that mean you won't integrate the QCA drivers from stock .68 which include support for FCC channels 136, 140, and 144 into your firmware?
No. It does not mean. I have such plans to integrate .68. I need a time for that. Not everything is OK with .68. E.g. firewall problem signaled by microchip.

What stock version of R7800 firmware are you currently using for your firmware and QCA drivers? The last mention of stock firmware in your change log is .62 when listing changes to
1.0.2.63SF.

.62. Almost no differences .62 vs .63. Only attempt of NG/DNI to fix kernel CVEs. I checked binary versions of these fw.

Voxel.

NEVER.. Xvortex firmware is illegal and a hack. Neither Voxel or Merlin would ever have anything to do with him. People like Xvortex will be the reason 3rd party firmware will no longer be possible as vendors will move to entirely closed source.
Good answer.

Voxel.

@Voxel when are you going to team up with XVortex like asus merlin xrt GUI into the r7800 and r8000 family of router like the R7000 ?

Why don't you just buy an ASUS router intead of hoping someone will illegally bring their firmware to another brand?

No. It does not mean. I have such plans to integrate .68. I need a time for that. Not everything is OK with .68. E.g. firewall problem signaled by microchip.

.62. Almost no differences .62 vs .63. Only attempt of NG/DNI to fix kernel CVEs. I checked binary versions of these fw.

Voxel.

As far as the CRC errors copying large files in AP mode referenced in https://community.netgear.com/t5/Ni...rrors-Copying-Large-Files/m-p/1843555#M145722 , do you have any idea what the cause is?

I know when this issue has come up in the past you have recommended using the LAN not WAN port on the R7800 when in AP mode, however a lot of users have said it made no difference in solving the issue.

You say in a post above you will delay integrating (some of?) .68 stock into your firmware because of this and a firewall issue. Does the CRC large file copy problem exist in your firmware?

Last edited:

Does this mean there is a security bug in the new .68 firmware is it not safe to use ??

do you have any idea what the cause is?
Bug in the stock FW. Nothing else.

I know when this issue has come up in the past you have recommended using the LAN not WAN port on the R7800 when in AP mode, however a lot of users have said it made no difference in solving the issue.
Currently I use two R7800 in AP mode. Connected to LAN instead of WAN. I copy very large files (30-40GB) and I do not have CRC errors. I do this too often: my automatic backup procedure, every three days 30-40GB with MD5SUM backup checking. I think it is good test. I had such issues when using WAN. But not now. Usually I believe my own tests and eyes.

You say in a post above you will delay integrating (some of?) .68 stock into your firmware because of this and a firewall issue.

Main delay is because of my time. Rather permanent lack of time. You know, firmware for routers is my hobby. But I have the real job and primary things to do to earn the money for living.

I have to test a lot to avoid the new bugs in my version of firmware caused by this integration. It is very time consuming and really hard work.

Does the CRC large file copy problem exist in your firmware?
Yes. I am using QCA pre-built drivers w/o source codes and some other binaries "as is". The bug is somewhere there.

Voxel.

I read the post it shows a bug but still not sure if that makes .68 a security risk.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!