What's new

Netgear R7800-X4S Firmware 1.0.2.60

• Thread starter Deleted member 22229
  • Start date
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I think for my next router I will look at support more than the performance. Its not that I want to update the firmware...its working fine..but I would like any security fixes it has to offer. No..
what upsets me is I have no way of contacting NetGear support...their contact support page dumps me to the community forums..where NetGear folks rarely reply if ever.. One can complain with other customers there.. or I must pay for a support contract to communicate with them.. So I have to pay them to simply report a problem?

I actually had gotten good support from them..when I was within 90 days of purchase. Here I simply wanted to tell them.."hey you broke the 5Ghz on this unit does anyone realize" and they don't really provide any channels to tell them. I did send email to "netgear.support@netgear.com" but I imagine I will eventually get an automated reply saying I can purchase support if I need it.

Starting to think they break firmware so one has issues and goes out to buy the latest and greatest they have to offer.
It would be dangerous for them. Because owner just will rather choose another brand but not latest and greatest they have to offer...

Voxel.

@Voxel. How are you going to handle your next release ? Knowing NG latest .60 still has wifi issues are you going to merge .60 but use part of .52 similar to this version .61SF. I see NG is very slow to release the GPL for .60. Strange. :confused:

@Voxel. How are you going to handle your next release ? Knowing NG latest .60 still has wifi issues are you going to merge .60 but use part of .52 similar to this version .61SF. I see NG is very slow to release the GPL for .60. Strange. :confused:
It has no sense (at least now) to merge 60 changes into my build. Almost nothing is new there vs 58. Chinese OpenVPN? I do not use NG's OpenVPN client at all...

Voxel.

Starting to think they break firmware so one has issues and goes out to buy the latest and greatest they have to offer.

No I don’t think it’s anything malicious, it’s pure incompetence. It will get fixed, unfortunately will probably take another update.

Why don't you contact @NETGEAR Guy with a PM?
He is on this forum very often: his last visit on this forum was last Friday......

Last edited:
I have a NetGear support case and reproduced the problem and sent them a capture/debug and my config. I found it odd the support person said nobody has reported an issue or worked with them on the problem. Will keep trying to work the issue with them. I did have to revert back after reproducing it...the 5Ghz is consistently broken with .60.

I found it odd the support person said nobody has reported an issue or worked with them on the problem.
Apparently, Netgear does ZERO internal testing of firmware before release. Or, an obvious bug is not worth fixing until some number of customers complain.

When I am on the 5GHz of the R7800 it runs without any problem. I stream audio all the time and it doesn't interrupt. Only when I move from the R7800 range to the TP-Link access point I get a hick-up.

So, so obvious isn't this reported bug .... :confused:

You using .58 or .60 ? Happens to me like clock work using those firmware's. My Galaxy S7 disconnects all the time using it.

You using .58 or .60 ? Happens to me like clock work using those firmware's. My Galaxy S7 disconnects all the time using it.
Agree. I had terrible results until Voxel crafted his custom 61SF build. Went back to 54SF while I waited.

See my signature. I have a Sony Xperia X Compact, running Android 8.0.0.

So your getting lucky. There have been many tests run and enough people have noticed the issues there is no doubt something is wrong with .58/60

Sometimes the disconnects are not noticed.

To verify if your wifi disconnect/connect you can issue this command at the router prompt:
Code:
 tail -f -n10000 /tmp/log/messages | awk /"DHCP"/ | tee -a /WiFi_Connects.txt

Then you can look in the file WiFi_Connects.txt to see how many connections that are made.
To count all of them:
Code:
cat /WiFi_Connects.txt | wc -l

Or for a certain IP/device. e.g.:
Code:
grep "192.168.1.106" /WiFi_Connects.txt | wc -l

I will give it a try :D

But how do I get a router prompt o_O ??

Se e.g. here for using telnet: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/k...on-for-netgear-r7800-x4s-and-r9000-x10.48965/

If you use telnet the session will timeout after some time, and stop working.
To handle this change the above command to include an & at the end of the line:
(This will put the command running in background, even after you are logged out)
Code:
tail -f -n10000 /tmp/log/messages | awk /"DHCP"/ | tee -a /WiFi_Connects.txt &

Then you can login with telnet whenever you like, and issue the other commands, e.g.:
Code:
cat /WiFi_Connects.txt | wc -l
grep "192.168.1.106" /WiFi_Connects.txt | wc -l

You can also use ssh. It's easier and safer to use, but takes some longer time to install.

I will give it a try :D
But how do I get a router prompt o_O ??

I got it working.
The living room is covered by the TP-Link EAP330.
Tomorrow I will be a long time within range of the R7800, only 5GHz, with my phone.
Then I will grep the number :)

I finally realized my connection problems were from the updated firmware. I rolled back to 1.0.2.52 and so far so good. It does seem like an issue that should have been caught by QA. Maybe it's time to pull the trigger on the Voxel switch that I have been contemplating for so long...

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!